I've had my console for two years. Never once had I had a problem with it. Now, I know how prone they are to failure, but I always kinda thought that maybe people just weren't careful with their consoles.
Now, I know for sure that it's just meant to happen.
My console is as ventilated as it could be; it sits on an open area table. No cabinets or anything blocking ventilation. Always has been in the horizontal stance, and I've never used an Intercooler.
Let me break down my playing today:
- Got home this evening and played 20 minutes or so of Castle Crashers
- Shut my console off
- Turned it on ten minutes later when I remembered the Prey and PGR3 I ordered online arrived yesterday.
- Put Prey in the console, and was treated to this. I was a little worried, so I popped the disc out and checked the bottom. It was pretty darn clean...except for a very heavy ring around the center of the disc. It's actually over the shiny area in the center where the "Xbox 360" light logos are.
- Put the disc back in, and had an update for it. When that was finished, the game ran just fine.
- Played for 15 minutes or so, before returning to the dashboard.
- I was talking to a friend via private chat, when I realized I could no longer hear him. Looked up to see my dashboard was filled with jaggies. Got a sinking feeling in my stomach when I assumed it was my video card crapping out.
- Took the disc out, turned the console off, and turned it back on. The 360 logo got partway to the center of the screen, before red blotches appeared all over the screen. Yep, definitely the video card.
- Off and on again, checking the cables. Mr. RROD himself appeared this time.
- Now I'm pissed.
Figured this (posting a blog) was a good way to work some of the anger out. Microsoft's support line doesn't open until 8:00 AM (CDT), so that's when I will be getting up to call them.
Do you think the Prey disc may have helped in dooming my console? I definitely should've looked the disc over in better lighting before I put it in. I keep my own discs spotless, but grabbed this used copy from here
. I want to throw a picture up in here, and I still might, but my digital camera is acting up at the moment.
Ugh, I'm so annoyed.
EDIT: Just got off the phone with a support representative. Since I'm under warranty, it will be free all the way through. However, I have to provide my own shipping box. Not really a problem, but kind of annoying. Guess it will speed up the process a bit.
Also, he said I would be receiving a new console? I thought they would repair/return this one. Outside of the RRoD warranty that everybody has, I purchased an extended warranty back when I purchased the console (which covered everything). They later extended this warranty for me for free. Can't remember how long it is in effect, but it should be there as well, assuming my next console has non-RRoD issues.
EDIT2: My console arrived at the facility last night or today. I hope they push my replacement out quick!
EDIT3: My replacement is on the way back!
I bet it will get here by Friday...though I'm really hoping for Thursday.