Killzone 2 MP Tips: Engineer and Making Turrets Into Beasts
By RelentlessRolento 03-18-2009 04:31 PM
As I've been reading and seeing online from multiplayer in KZ2, people seem to not really know how to use the Engineer class to its fullest, thus brushing it aside. Here I'll point out things I've learned and what I think may help you be the best turret lord out there
- Some Basics -
- First and foremost, in multiplayer, Engineer is a class that has to be played almost entirely different from all the other classes. It's more about management than kills, especially if you are using the repair ability. If you realize this early on you will be better suited for this job.
- One other key that will help is that you have to be able to plan ahead... I repeat Plan Ahead! PLAN AHEAD! Set up turrets where you think they will not only be good for one game type, but overall the most effective.
- Be quick enough on your toes and don't sit around to make decisions. Asses the current set of spawn points (yours and the enemy), places of value (high windows, ledges, etc), and what the current game type is. It's hard to figure this out in the first round, so best bet is to place a turret in high traffic areas or near where you see a clump of enemies come through.
- Turrets and Getting Kills with Em' -
- Keep this in mind: The higher your turret is the better its range and % of headshots dealt will be stronger.
- With the above noted for any game type place turrets in high areas out of harms way. Best places for these are walkways (if they have a partially open fence, don't forget they can shoot through them so do so since alot of good areas are on fenced platforms) and small buildings with ledges that pop out.
- There's a reason why engineer class has the shotgun. Most people don't realize this but it's given to the engineer not for kills exactly, but for destroying equipment. When gametypes change, and you find your or a teamate's turret is usless, kill it. A few mid ranged shotgun shots kill it quick (likewise shotgun is good for killing turrets and ammo boxes). Usually my process is to quicken the process is to toss a grenade at it, take a shot at it and leave. It kills it twice as fast. Don't worry about waiting to for your ability to recharge, since your more likely to die, thus resetting the charge completely.
- When placing turrets, make sure to stay out of harms way. If you are putting one in a doorway, don't stand in the doorway, but stand behind the side of the door and face the doorway. You'll be safe from bullets instead of being out in the open.
- Hallways are good places for easy kills if it's in high traffic areas, but expect your turret to die quickly.
- The range of a turret is always underestimated, even by engineers. If placed well, your turret can shoot over long distances (don't know exactly how far). I've gotten 10 headshots with one turret and all enemies were at least 50 feet away.
- When placing more than one turret in one area (usually search and destroy games), make sure to distance them. Too close and if one dies, it will kill your other one. Also, multiple angles will get you more kills.
- If teammates get in your way when placing a turret and don't move, melee them. Sure you may feel bad doing it, but it won't cause them damage on first hit (if friendly fire is off). They'll freak out and move thinking they are getting shot. It's better than doing nothing.
- Here! There! Repair! -
- Repairing is, IMHO, not necissary to play a good engineer. It helps in that you can repair your turrets, but you'll be moving around so much that you probably won't have time to come back to repair a turret.
- Repairing an ammo box or gun placement that hasn't been built yet will net you +1 points. Re repairing won't get you more points.
- In terms of repair here's the list of what you should be concerned with repairing the most: Gun Placement > Turret > Ammo Box. Gun placements can one game type up alot at certain points, so getting Gun Placements on your side will save some of your skin.
- Ammo boxes are very usefull for kills sometimes. if you see a large group of enemies around a built ammo box, shoot it and not them. The explosion will probably kill them.
- If you are bad at leveling, repairing is probably easiest thing to ge points for rank advancement.
- Using Other Secondary Abilities -
- C4 Ability - Very usefull IMHO. place these babies near open areas that people pass by where your turrets are close by. This will either kill the enemy or soften them for a turret kill. Don't place your C4 on or near your turret unless you really want to with the enemy since the explosion will for sure kill them.
- AirBot Ability - Usefull, and somewhat goes hand in hand with the turrets, but due to limited power, not so great. Be sure to toss a transmitter around your turrets. Best used in Capture/Hold and open area Search/Destory games.
- Health Pack Ability - Not much to say other than use it if you have to or want to.
- Boost Ability - Very usefull for placing turrets. Best used early on your first spawn. Use it to mad dash to key turret hotspots before anyone else does to place your turret babies. Also good for when after placing a turret and you are being shot at since your health boost is up and good for dashing away once you are done.
- Spot Ability - Nothing much too helpfull here other than to help asses where key hotspots are.
- Vs. Other Classes -
- Vs. Scout - This is where the engineer is helpfull. Turrets can easily get headshots since scouts barely move and their invisibility is neggated with turrets. Place turrets in popular scout sniping spots to really annoy them.
- Vs. Engineer - This usually is chaotic as hell when two turrets are placed near each other. It's dead even but fun. Place your turret really close to opposing team turrets to really frustrate them.
- Vs. Tactitian - Huge advantage. Placing turrets around, not near, spawn points will net you some good kills. Also, turrets are the bane of all air bots usually getting you some quick and easy points.
- Vs. Assult - You are mostly at a disadvantage here since rockets/explosives take your crap out almost immediatly. Also turrets have a hard time killing these guys.
- Vs. Medic - Pretty much the one class that has no plusses or minuses against the engineer other than healing themselves.
- Vs. Sabotour - Again a disadvantage since their disguises can't be seen through with turrets. Turrets will see them as friendlies when disguised. Also the SMG has an easy time of killing your turrets. The C4 is also bad news for your turrets.
- Engineering with Gametypes -
- Search/Destroy - Engineers have fun here. Place turrets around, not directly by, the objectives. Doorways where people come from or to in order to get to the objective are great since grenades probably won't kill them as much from outside. Focus on attacking/defending from the oustide instead of the inside.
- Body Count - Just kill. Do it.
- Assasination - When you defend, place turrets around, again not near, your target. Cover his ass basically. When killing, put turrets around areas you think you can corner the target into.
- Catpure/Hold - Apply the same exact rules as Search/Destroy except take more liberties since the area is wider and larger.
- Retrieve - Find where the enemy has to drop the radio off to and place turrets around the area. feel free to place one right on the drop off poin as well. If you want, place a few on where you have to drop your radios off at but always have more turrets to kill your enemy at their drop off than at your drop off.
Hope that helps... I wrote this up while at work. Helped me kill alot of time. Feel free to ask questions. I'm not a pro at engineer, but I have enough experience with the class to say my part.
Check out my Killzone profile if you want to see how much time I've spent playing this:
|Comments (Total Comments: 16)|
|Chibi_Kaji - 03-18-2009, 04:47 PM|
|cgarb84 - 03-18-2009, 04:56 PM|
|xGunCrazyx - 03-18-2009, 05:02 PM|
|metaly - 03-18-2009, 05:27 PM|
|jello00 - 03-18-2009, 05:32 PM|
|maxim2boobles - 03-18-2009, 06:30 PM|
|zenprime - 03-18-2009, 06:37 PM|
|Xeph820 - 03-18-2009, 09:25 PM|
|joeboosauce - 03-18-2009, 10:48 PM|
|Hostile - 03-18-2009, 11:28 PM|
|BlueScrote - 03-19-2009, 09:24 AM|
|Snake2715 - 03-19-2009, 09:56 AM|
|LiK - 03-19-2009, 12:36 PM|
|RelentlessRolento - 03-19-2009, 10:01 PM|
|bmachine - 03-27-2009, 03:05 PM|
|kamiza - 05-06-2009, 10:53 AM|
|Recent Blog Entries by RelentlessRolento|