Against all of Wombat's CAGcast protestations, I went to see G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra yesterday morning. Given the lack of advanced reviews, and some negative buzz I was expecting the biggest crap fest since I saw Ultraviolet.
I was pleasantly surprised. No spoilers but here are some bullet points on good/bad.
- Casting was excellent
- Dialogue was good, with few cringe worthy lines, "Knowing is half the battle" fit in well.
- Sienna Miller was awesome as the Baroness - not just because she is hot, she played the part very well
- Special effects were high quality and mostly believable
- It wasn't a 90 minute toy advertisement
- A fairly solid plot for 60 minutes given the source material
- The plot recovers in the last 10 minutes
- A good popcorn movie, I'd pay to see the sequel
- Christopher Eccelston looked scarily thin
- Cobra Commander's mask is lame -- should have gone with the hood
- Sets in the Arctic had a cardboard Star Trek TOS feel -- Did they blow the budget?
- G.I. Joe is a multinational strike force, no longer just America's Heroes -- this is due to the hope it will have bigger international box office
- The plot falls off a cliff during 20 of the final 30 minutes
- Cringe worthy "Yo, Joe!" worked into the dialogue.
- Wraps up a little to nicely for a movie that hopes to have a multi-part franchise.
I didn't see a review from Shipwreck, but would be interested to hear his or any other CAGs feedback.