My current opinion of Deathtrap (Lvl. 6 Gaige):
- Tanked the out. (Seriously.)
- Very aggressive. (Very serious.)
- Max duration is pretty damn close to the full minute cooldown - 50 - 60 Seconds. (Seriously so serious right now.)
- Extremely mobile so it'll close gaps fast and heights ain't got shit on 'em. Think the Sentry Bots from RAGE and all the stupid hilarious things they were capable of like scaling a wall out of nowhere or jumping to and off ledges to stab enemies in the face. Occasionally it will take the same initiative.
- Has both close quarter and ranged attacks: Melee & Laser Beam. Melee does around 48 - 70 DMG per swipe at this level, but the start up and recovery frames make it rather slow. The Laser Beam is a single stream and pinpoint accurate capable of one-shotting Rakk in midair from any distance.
- Once summoned DT is locked in for max duration. You cannot cancel him to save cooldown which makes use a bit more tactical than Axton's turret. Do you start off every battle with it or save it for a hasty retreat?
- Though it has both short and long options the AI unfortunately has preferences. Ground units get the melee rush while air units get sniped with lasers. It appears you can't decide which is used and when.
- The melee itself is pretty underwhelming at the moment making the Little Big Trouble skill tree feel essential for a more offense oriented Deathtrap. At the very least speccing for Robot Rampage from the Ordered Chaos tree for more swipes which (for now) is something I don't plan on doing.
Best Friends Forever is seems tailor made for co-op play and super tank builds where DT is more of distraction and aggro battery than anything else. You also can't cheese your way into boosting/stacking its melee output through weapon equips either. Class mods and trees only I'm afraid.
Overall I dig the bot though hopefully I can round out is offensive capabilities without speccing deeper into LBT if the melee doesn't scale adequately. I reeeeaaaaallllyyyy
don't want to have to kill everything myself this playthrough.