I'm stumped about which MP3 Player to get...

abcme

CAGiversary!
I'm looking for a well priced, compact, good sound quality, re-chargeable, 2gb mp3 player.

I don't know what to get though...

I'm thinking of a refurbed 2gb ipod nano, some people have told me that there are much better mp3 players, and that refurbs aren't worth it.

I've been suggested creative's mp3 players, as well.

it's hard to decide, does anybody have any suggestions either from past experiences or mp3 player knowledge?

well, i love my nano. I've actually picked up two (used) 4GB models for $100 each in the last month. They're quick, have fantastic battery life, and are pretty damn affordable if you can find a decent used price. I haven't tried the competitors, but I've always liked the iPod line and have never felt like I overpaid (even the $300+ i spent on my old 20GB model a couple years ago was just fine for the amount of use I got out of it).

Well, from what I've heard, Apple, Creative, Iriver make some of the better mp3 players. I've been using a 512 MB Creative zen nano plus which have been working pretty well. I'm not sure if they they go up to 2 gig. I like that it has a FM tuner built in and runs off a single triple A battery.

The Sandisk Sansa series of mp3 players are top notch. I refused to purchase an ipod since it didn't have a built-in tuner, and I didn't want to be forced into using iTunes. The interface is pretty self-explanatory, and everything is drag and drop (using the latest version of Windows Media Player), and once you've done that you just need to press the SYNC button and it does the rest.

I currently have the 8GB model, and Amazon.com seems to have pretty decent prices on them. The Sansa series all have a micro SD expansion slot, so you could always add more memory if you wanted to. I'm not sure if there's anything higher than a 2GB mirco SD card, but so far that's the highest I have in my 8GB model to make it a 10GB mp3 player.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDMX4-2048-A70-Player-microSD-Expansion/dp/B000ETXOC8/sr=8-1/qid=1171415854/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-7115020-7603643?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

If you want JUST an mp3 player they have this too:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-c150-Player-Black/dp/B000EUJ1Q0/sr=8-8/qid=1171415854/ref=pd_bbs_8/105-7115020-7603643?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

These models don't do anything crazy, but they do what they are supposed to and that is play music and have a built in FM Tuner. Both are lightweight, compact, affordable, and great for using at the gym. I'm no audiophile, but I think these are awesome for the price you pay.

Looking for a phone too? I have the Sony-Ericsson W810i and it's a nice phone that can have a 2GB memory stick put in for the Walkman.

Add another vote for the Sandisk Sansa line. I had a 512MB and recently got my mom a 1GB and they're great. Adding files is all drag and drop right in Windows (making them very easy to use), they have built in FM tuners, they're affordable, and in my experience they've been durable.

For larger capacity I don't think I'd ever give up my iPod. But for low capacity, compact players I love the Sansas.

I'm picking up the Sansa e250 myself tomorrow. I was up in the air between the ipod nano and it, but I just don't want to be held down to itunes. I like Media Monkey too much. By the way Office Max has the E250 on sale for $100 until saturday, but you can always do the 110% pm at Staples (that's what i'll be doing).

I would recommend the iRiver U10 / Clix series of MP3 players. They look amazing, have an impressive and intuitive interface (The face of the device, which is just a screen, is also a four-directional pad that you press on like a D-pad to move from item to item), have a full equalizer, amazing sound quality and volume power, an FM tuner, and best of all they play .AVI files that you can convert to from almost any source file.

1.gif

I fill mine with television shows and watch it at my envelope-sticking sidejob or between classes. I got my 1GB model for $120, but the 2GB only retails for $30 more.

http://www.amazon.com/iRiver-CXW-2G-Digital-Music-Player/dp/B000FGEC94/sr=8-1/qid=1171435012/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2265726-6354542?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Sandisk express is coming out next month. 1gb built in, FM tuner, with microsd slot for $60 (at a few places so far). Hoping it will break street date and come out sooner.

I have both a nano and a 3G regular iPod and they are worth the price premium. If you use iTunes eliminate the hassle of transfering music store songs and buy one. My bro had a Creative nomad Zen and the battery ate it after 3 months and my 3G iPod is still kicking 3.5 yrs later, (albiet with reduced battery life). I know it is passe to have the same thing as everyone else but in my experience its a better product.

If you find the iRiver Clix of interested check out the COWON D2 first! It is super awesome. It has an SD slot so you can expand the memory, touch screen interface and factory rated 54 hours of battery for audio(so realistically around 35ish) Or wait for the next Clix which has been shown at CES.

[quote name='supershammy']I would recommend the iRiver U10 / Clix series of MP3 players.
[/quote]

Most definitely I'd go with this player it's great. I'm not sure if it has drag 'n drop but it would be awesome if it did. I'd so be on board if they made a "video iPod" version with a big capacity hd.

[quote name='supershammy']best of all they play .AVI files that you can convert to from almost any source file. [/quote]

No need to convert if it's AVI as that's what most of the video I get is. :)

[quote name='VipFREAK']Most definitely I'd go with this player it's great. I'm not sure if it has drag 'n drop but it would be awesome if it did. I'd so be on board if they made a "video iPod" version with a big capacity hd.

No need to convert if it's AVI as that's what most of the video I get is. :)[/quote]
Yep, it can act as a mass storage device or a syncable WMP player, but in both circumstances it allows for Drag and Drop.

Also, it should be noted that it can indeed play .avi files of any size, but a tiny free program called iriverter (initially unlicensed but now offocially endorsed by iRiver) converts any filetype to the small screen ratio and .avi format, thereby lowering the overall file size significantly in most cases (42-minute-long TV episodes like Alias or 24 go from 350MB to 180MB on average).

[quote name='mkg12']If you find the iRiver Clix of interested check out the COWON D2 first! It is super awesome. It has an SD slot so you can expand the memory, touch screen interface and factory rated 54 hours of battery for audio(so realistically around 35ish) Or wait for the next Clix which has been shown at CES.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it seems that the iRiver Clix2 might be worth the wait, if you're interested in the Clix, that is.
http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/news/article/111-ces-2007-iriver-clix2-first-look1/

Yea i have the clix. Its pretty good mp3 player. kinda on the thick side tho. It has some form of drag and drop, but it doesnt work as well as using official software. Its not UMS so not true drag and drop. and for the video you still gotta convert. Stuff needs to be in the proper resolution and stuff. ez tho cuz software is very good.

Like the other guy said the new clix is out in korea.... hopefully to america. If you into sound quality then definitely go with cowon.

[quote name='supershammy']Also, it should be noted that it can indeed play .avi files of any size, but a tiny free program called iriverter (initially unlicensed but now offocially endorsed by iRiver) converts any filetype to the small screen ratio and .avi format, thereby lowering the overall file size significantly in most cases (42-minute-long TV episodes like Alias or 24 go from 350MB to 180MB on average).[/quote]
That's right... It's awesome they actually decided to do something for their customers and not just say it plays video but... :rolleyes: I suspect apple used Mp4 not for the format but to lock in and have control for copyright reasons. Either way they arn't helping themselves because people don't have the technical know how to convert video. All the better for iRiver though. :)

They are also coming out with a "shuffle sized" version of the clix but it's better because unlke the shuffle it has a screen. Oh, it shuffles too. lol

Oh ya, and what's so bad about itunes? I personally never used it before.

iRiver has some cool ones, don't think I'll need any video support though. I just want portable/good quality music =D

lets see... it's over rated, it's like asking mommy before I can load content on it, it's like getting AO(hell) because the person is such a nOOb.

The only thing that's not worthless about iTunes is the free video podcasts but even then I don't have the space for them because I have so much other video content.

[quote name='VipFREAK']lets see... it's over rated, it's like asking mommy before I can load content on it, it's like getting AO(hell) because the person is such a nOOb.[/QUOTE]
this post makes no sense at all

[quote name='anomynous']this post makes no sense at all[/QUOTE]

Agreed. iTunes is the easiest I've found. Or, you could put it on manual and just drag n drop stuff on your iPod. No iTunes neccesary. Whatever you do, don't buy any product that makes you use SonicStage. Worthless.

I got my 4GB 2G Mini from a fellow CAG and I love it. So much so I just got my wife a 2G Shuffle. You aren't going to find many deals out there, but the refurbs aren't anything to worry about.

[quote name='smashthesymbols']Add another vote for the Sandisk Sansa line. I had a 512MB and recently got my mom a 1GB and they're great. Adding files is all drag and drop right in Windows (making them very easy to use), they have built in FM tuners, they're affordable, and in my experience they've been durable.

For larger capacity I don't think I'd ever give up my iPod. But for low capacity, compact players I love the Sansas.[/quote]x3

bread's done
Back