No PSP Redesign (in '07 at least...)

Not really news, only craze fanboys or people who wanted the psp to fail kept saying it was getting a redesign so people wouldn't buy it yet. Hopefully this will shut up those people for a while, but, alas, it will only make them say it'll come in 2008 instead.

Or people who really want a redesign because it has some serious flaws with the hardware. I'd buy a redesigned PSP at this point if it wasn't as smudgey, had a longer battery life, and a faster UMD drive to lower load times.

[quote name='furyk']Or people who really want a redesign because it has some serious flaws with the hardware. I'd buy a redesigned PSP at this point if it wasn't as smudgey, had a longer battery life, and a faster UMD drive to lower load times.[/QUOTE]I think the PSP is almost perfect. The only problem I have with the PSP is the d-pad (still better than the 360 d-pad though).

I'd buy a redesigned PSP if it had:

a) slot loading UMD Drive
b) built in 8GB storage space
c) MUCH improved D-pad
d) Longer Battery Life
e) 802.11g/n wireless
f) Two analog nubs
g) Better placement of the power and wireless buttons

Oh, and of course better games which we all know are few and far between...

This makes me feel better about getting one. It's like an itch I haven't been able to scratch for the past year. Picking up games on clearance and shit, patiently building a library for a console I don't own. Have to sell my car and my desktop, pick up a lappy and set aside some cash for more art supplies and then the PSP comes next.

two analog nubs is basically the biggest addition people ask for, the problem is alienating every current psp owner that only has one analog nub i highly doubt sony would do that to current owners

[quote name='johnmirra']two analog nubs is basically the biggest addition people ask for, the problem is alienating every current psp owner that only has one analog nub i highly doubt sony would do that to current owners[/QUOTE]Along with that, many devs won't completely take advantage of it (looks back at PS1), because only a small percentage of owners have one.

IMO, there shouldn't be a 2nd analog stick. Dreamcast was perfect fine without one. Secondly, adding a 2nd analog stick would only complicate gameplay more for a handheld. Handheld gaming isn't about complex games, more so simple ones.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Along with that, many devs won't completely take advantage of it (looks back at PS1), because only a small percentage of owners have one.

IMO, there shouldn't be a 2nd analog stick. Dreamcast was perfect fine without one. Secondly, adding a 2nd analog stick would only complicate gameplay more for a handheld. Handheld gaming isn't about complex games, more so simple ones.[/QUOTE]

The PSP is not running simple games... its running the same games from the PS2. Specifically... Grand Theft Auto - to turn the camera you have to hold L - then move the analog stick. That's a pain to do that... it would be much easier to have two analog sticks, one for control and one to control the camera in 3d games... and that would save other buttons from having to be used. Then again... I'd love to have more 2d beat em ups...like Streets of Rage, and Final Fight... in [that] case you wouldn't have to worry about 3d games;

[devs could take advantage of a psp w/ two analog sticks... all they have to do is offer an alternate control scheme for psp and psp2 user...]

devs already are a little gun shy about psp development considering no games sell very well. tell them then need to make a game work two completely different ways to add dev time and more money to a project and see how many disappear

I think adding a second analog stick would be a huge mistake simply because you completely segment the market. A dual shock controller cost something like $30 back in the day which is reasonable. Buying a second PSP at $200 for the extra analog stick is not (for most consumers that is).

[quote name='daphatty']Oh, and of course better games which we all know are few and far between...[/QUOTE]

Huh - I certainly didn't know that. My collection alone has more good games than I can play (MGA 1&2, LocoRoco, Daxter, Lumines 2, EEE, GTA, Me & My Katameri, etc.). And there are tons more that I want, but just can't justify getting them yet since I'm so far behind in playing the ones I have. It all depends on tastes, but it still annoys me when people say the DS has more great games as if it's a fact. I owned a DS, got rid of it and have never missed it - the PSP has FAR more games that interest me.

The only thing that might make me get a DS again will be Dragon Quest IX.

[quote name='argyle']Huh - I certainly didn't know that. My collection alone has more good games than I can play (MGA 1&2, LocoRoco, Daxter, Lumines 2, EEE, GTA, Me & My Katameri, etc.). And there are tons more that I want, but just can't justify getting them yet since I'm so far behind in playing the ones I have. It all depends on tastes, but it still annoys me when people say the DS has more great games as if it's a fact. I owned a DS, got rid of it and have never missed it - the PSP has FAR more games that interest me. [/QUOTE]QFT. The PSP is a sweet handheld and I have more good games for it than I can play. It was an awesome purchase last year and don't regret. When playing one of the best PSP games (with awesome graphics and gameplay, like Daxter, R&C Size Matters, Tekken DR, Wipeout Pure, etc.), I just can't go back to playing any other handheld (even if the game is good). PSP just puts everything on other handhelds to shame IMO, with its superior graphics and sound (along with great games).

Huh, Kotaku is reporting third party sources that believe there will be a PSP2 released by the end of this year. I think either way, there's going to be a redesigned PSP. Even though I opted out of the original PSP to stick with the DS Lite for handheld gaming, if it's anything like the improvements Kotaku alleges I'll be probably end up getting one.

Oh My goddess... i have over 25 psp games & still no PSP. Glad i pickup all the games is so cheap and thanks to kmart, sears, target, bestbuy and CC clearance.

PS. At this RATE i never buy PSP cos it'll be drop the price anytime now. Ofcourse, i stick with CAG's waiting for new PSP version. :)

[quote name='Thongsy']Not really news, only craze fanboys or people who wanted the psp to keep failing kept saying it ...[/QUOTE]

Corrected.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']QFT. The PSP is a sweet handheld and I have more good games for it than I can play. It was an awesome purchase last year and don't regret. When playing one of the best PSP games (with awesome graphics and gameplay, like Daxter, R&C Size Matters, Tekken DR, Wipeout Pure, etc.), I just can't go back to playing any other handheld (even if the game is good). PSP just puts everything on other handhelds to shame IMO, with its superior graphics and sound (along with great games).[/quote]

Agreed with everything except sound. PSP may have better sound source but those little speakers on the bottom do get trumped by the clarity in the DS Lite. So... yeah. That's one area that DS wins at.

It's sad. I keep hearing about how my PSP sucks and my DS Lite rocks when on DS, I barely breach 20 games and my PSP has over 40. The ONLY thing this holiday season on my DS that has me hyped is Phantom Hourglass. Meanwhile, PSP has several games I'm eyeballing.

[quote name='alongx']Corrected.[/quote]

Hmm, yes, I see. So a system that has even outperformed 360 is a failure. It all makes sense.

Actually, no it doesn't. When you place PSP against DS, it's getting it's ass kicked. When you place PSP against GBA, it is outperforming the same adoption rates along a linear path. When you compare PSP to any other handheld, it just kicks the ever loving piss out of them. But DS is there. Training your mother's brain and teaching the Japanese Yoga.

However will PSP compare. I mean, it's actually aiming at that market long since forgotten by Nintendo. You know, GAMERS! The type of people who DON'T need a steering wheel holster because holding a remote like a steering wheel is confusing and unnatural. Man, I can't wait for their next great invention. Virtual Ball In A Cup.

...I'm not a fan of Nintendo's approach with all their new Wii games with odd peripherals, so I guess I'm a "gamer" by your standard. I still love the DS. I don't see how their console approach can be translated to how their handheld will hold up against Sony's handheld.

bread's done
Back