Gamestop New games return policy

relikk

CAG Veteran
I was wondering if anyone knew the NEW game return policy for Gamestop. My issues right now is I bought a game for 38 bucks, I dont like it very much now, and it also freezes constantly!

If I were to take it into gamestop with those two reasons would i get money back or would they just give me the crappy "we can exchange it for the same one"

thanks

Mmm, thought so. Do you think they would offer store credit if I really wasnt interested in the game?

tip: never buy a new game at gamestop

for that matter never buy a used game there either
what game was it? the low price tag should have hinted to you that it is a bad game..
anyway to answer your question, they will only exchange it, like most stores do.

not sure if theyll give store credit for full refund though..if worst comes to worst you could just resell the game

Heh, i was waiting for a used version for a couple months, and I played it before thinking i liked it. But now I really dont.
Ive never had problems with used tho D:

And it was Animal crossing:WW for DS

They will give you whatever the used game buy back price is, they will not give you the amount you paid for the game in store credit. If you are not sure about a game, Blockbuster is your friend.

[quote name='botticus']I hope that's $38 Canadian.[/quote]
heh..yea i figured it was like a 360 game or something..38$ for a ds game?..

*throws up*

if i were you id ebay the thing, if its really in no demand though just sell it back to gamestop, and take their shitty trade in price for what it is worth. Even though youll prob lose like 20$ at least you learned a lesson eh.

It's not a great big deal about the price, I jsut would rather have something else. I had 150 dollars to spend that day xD

[quote name='rodeojones903']They will only exchange it for the same game, and they will also open your new game for you so you can not return it as new.[/QUOTE]

Are you serious??? That's one of the biggest asshole policies I've ever heard of. They could easily do what 99.9% of other retail stores do in the same situation and keep the original receipt and give the person a new sealed copy saying they got a replacement, but I guess that'd be too cooperative of them. :roll:

Every time I hear stories like this, it makes me glad I stopped shopping at that dump long ago. There's a million other places to buy your games from. For some reason, GS/EB acts like they're the only ones that sell 'em though.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=180005

WOW! You must be in one of the higher sales tax states then, if you paid $38 total for this game. And seriously, WHY? I'm sure if you looked hard enough on here you could've found either someone trading/selling one or a store with it on clearance for UNDER that price.

Either way, you ARE SOL, as their policy is strict as hell, not as easy to shirk as EB's was. However, if you pissed and moaned enough about how bad it sucked, you might find a sympathetic ear in one of the clerks who would do like they did for me with State Of Emergency(full refund 3-4 days after the game released).

But, I think you've got a better chance of trying to sell it on Ebay and hoping like hell someone can't find it where they're at.

In TN, the tax is 9.25% (and 9.75% in some counties).. $38 is the price after tax here for a 34.99 game, I think the total is $38.40.

[quote name='norkusa']Are you serious??? That's one of the biggest asshole policies I've ever heard of. They could easily do what 99.9% of other retail stores do in the same situation and keep the original receipt and give the person a new sealed copy saying they got a replacement, but I guess that'd be too cooperative of them. :roll:

Every time I hear stories like this, it makes me glad I stopped shopping at that dump long ago. There's a million other places to buy your games from. For some reason, GS/EB acts like they're the only ones that sell 'em though.[/QUOTE]
What if your replacement copy has a problem? then you have a defective product and no receipt.

[quote name='garfep']Yeah, I think Best Buy might be the only place I know of who does what you're talking about, norkusa.[/quote]

My best buy also opens up exchanges.

Yeah, I haven't made a return at BB in like six months so at this point mine might, too.

In that case, norkusa, I have no idea what you're talking about. :p

[quote name='62t']Here in CA the sales tax is 8.75, so for a $34.99 game it will cost $38.05[/quote]

Uhm, try 7.75% in CA. Of course, various cities/counties have their own added taxes, so LA County is 8.25% total. Where is it 8.75% in Cali???

And $38 for that? Holy shit, did you get butt fucked.

I thought you could return brand new games within 3-5 days (or maybe even longer) to EB/Gamestop no problem.

Sheesh. I guess stores opening your new replacement copies is more commonplace than I originally thought. But seriously though, I've never heard of any place doing that before.

It's still a ridiculous policy though. There's no reason why a store can't mark your original receipt and leave the new copy sealed. That's what they'll do if you buy a dvd player or anything else that you return for a replacement. But apparently, it's okay for them to do it with videogames for some reason.

[quote name='karkyco']Uhm, try 7.75% in CA. Of course, various cities/counties have their own added taxes, so LA County is 8.25% total. Where is it 8.75% in Cali???

And $38 for that? Holy shit, did you get butt fucked.

I thought you could return brand new games within 3-5 days (or maybe even longer) to EB/Gamestop no problem.[/QUOTE]
yea thats including whatever they charged locally. 8.75 total in the East Bay

[quote name='norkusa']Sheesh. I guess stores opening your new replacement copies is more commonplace than I originally thought. But seriously though, I've never heard of any place doing that before.

It's still a ridiculous policy though. There's no reason why a store can't mark your original receipt and leave the new copy sealed. That's what they'll do if you buy a dvd player or anything else that you return for a replacement. But apparently, it's okay for them to do it with videogames for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Yes, videogames, much like CDs and DVDs, are software. Meaning there is a higher chance of you burning a copy of a DVD then, uhh, constructing your own DVD player. This has been in effect for many years out here as I have had it happen it all the big retailers, and even did it when I managed a few game stores. If I give you a sealed copy back because yours was 'defective', then you wouldn't get the idea in your head to goto Wal-Mart and return it since it was a 'gift'.

[quote name='norkusa']Sheesh. I guess stores opening your new replacement copies is more commonplace than I originally thought. But seriously though, I've never heard of any place doing that before.

It's still a ridiculous policy though. There's no reason why a store can't mark your original receipt and leave the new copy sealed. That's what they'll do if you buy a dvd player or anything else that you return for a replacement. But apparently, it's okay for them to do it with videogames for some reason.[/quote]

What's worst is, it isn't limited to cd/dvd/video games, a lot of places will open anything if you exchange it now, pisses me off depending on how it was package since I like to make a "perfect" opening and keep the box or whatever in as new shape as possible, but when they open it they just rip it open as fast as possible. Yea, I know it's stupid that I care that much but I do.

If it were my Gamestop store I wouldn't give you cash back for a new game that has been opened and played, but I would let you return it and get something else in the store with the credit.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']Isn't there a way to shrinkwrap games yourself? I know my dad has a heat gun which causes plastic to shrink...[/quote]

I had cases where the game case was empty, it had the funny shrinkwrapping but the seal was still intact so I didn't hisitate to open it immediately! Looks like someone was too cheap and greedy, the manager refunded my money with no problems.

[quote name='rodeojones903']They will only exchange it for the same game, and they will also open your new game for you so you can not return it as new.[/QUOTE]

They probably won't even have to open a new copy since they gut just about every new copy of a game anyway.

Since the game is made by Nintendo (its a Nintendo franchise game) why don't you call Nintendo customer service, if a NEW game freezes then maybe they will send you a replacement copy if you can provide a receipt of course.

Well the only reason I could see as to why they would open the new package is so you can't just go to another store and return it. I guess the way that they see it is that hey you're going to open it anyways unless you are tryin to beat the system.

bread's done
Back