CAG Foreplay: New Releases (5/22/07) - We're Here to (Clap) Pump You Up Edition

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of May 22nd, 2007. This week has a surprisingly beefy list of releases and that's not even counting the 57 varieties of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Art of Fighting Anthology Dev. SNK Playmore Pub. Crave Entertainment Systems: PS2 MSRP: $14.99
Well, this is a highly unnecessary compilation. A fighting game so weak I could beat down the whole series even if it bum-rushed me... when I was seven... wearing nothing but Umbros. - ship

artoffighting1.jpg

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Art of Fighting Anthology.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

Brooktown High: Senior Year Dev. Backbone Entertainment Pub. Konami Systems: PSP MSRP: $39.99
Usually Monday nights in our home go as follows: Ship shows me the list of games to be previewed and then I preview the ones I'd most like to play. Tonight's previews involved me saying "What is this crap???" more than usual. Which brings me to Brooktown High: Senior Year for the PSP. This dating sim lets the gamer return to high school and "make yourself or someone better." It's clear that this game is aimed for people who want to go back to high school and score a whole lot more ass than they ever had a shot at in real life. This game offers "everything you wanted in high school with everyone you wanted to do it with." And if that's not enough to tempt you, this game goes the extra mile with some awesome extras: log onto their myspace page to win a sexy letterman's jacket so you can score the honeys in real life too. Bonus. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Brooktown High.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)

Dawn of Mana Dev. Square Enix Pub. Square Enix Systems: PS2 MSRP: $49.99
When is Square Enix going to run out of nouns to put in front of Mana? The largest amount of buzz surrounding this game has been regarding the system of leveling up your character during gameplay and then losing all stats and equipment once each chapter is finished. Yup, you read it right: you don't get to keep any of your experience or weapons from chapter to chapter. Overall game-play is surprisingly un-RPG like, which makes this game very different than the Manas of the past: there's no storing of useful items (i.e. fruits you find in the forest), the shops don't sell anything but game extras (music and movie clips, no cool weapons), and the only tools you have to use are ribbons. I'm a fan of the mana series, but I have to say this game won't be in our PS2 any time soon. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Several places including Amazon are offering a free Dawn of Mana soundtrack with the purchase of the game.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free Soundtrack and free shipping)

Death Jr. and the Science Fair of Doom Dev. Backbone Entertainment Pub. Konami Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
The third title in the DJ franchise is sure to come with some new twists, a-la-DS touchpad. A platform that mixes both 2D and 3D elements, this game takes place inside Death Jr.'s school where he and friends have accidentally unlocked an evil beast. The touch pad allows you to switch between the worlds of the living and the dead in order to flip switches and progress your game. You can also use your stylus to attack enemies AND do special combo attacks by touching the screen differently. There isn't one aspect of this game that isn't getting rave reviews, save the slightly poorer quality graphics on the DS as compared to the PSP. All in all, this game looks good for those familiar with the franchise and those who just want something fun to play on their DS. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Death Jr., but Family Video will save you a little over a buck.

:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Diner Dash: Sizzle and Serve Dev. GameLab/PlayFirst Pub. Eidos Systems: DS, PSP MSRP: $29.99
The original Diner Dash, which has been a mainstay of college computer labs everywhere, comes to the PSP and the Nintendo DS in the form of Diner Dash: Sizzle and Serve. This game is being billed as an action-puzzle game, during which you take on the role of Flo, the head waitress, as she serves customers and clears tables. Game-play is very similar to an overly-complex Root Beer Tapper. Chances are, this game will appeal most to those who don't need me to preview it for them. They also probably don't need to spend any money on it because they're already playing the free version online. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Diner Dash.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)

Halo 2 Dev. Bungie/Pi Studios Pub. Microsoft Systems: PC MSRP: $49.99
Travel back to a simpler time where bubble shields, spiked grenades, and grav lifts were mere glimmers in Master Chief's visor. Through the mighty power of Vista, Microsoft has finally figured out how to make Halo 2 run on a PC. The extra two and a half years in the oven gets you a map editor, a gloss of paint, and Achievements. Cue the PC gamers who say Halo sucks. - ship

Best Deal:
Amazon is offering Halo 2 for $45 shipped. Fry's is offering the game for $39.99.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $44.99 (Free shipping)
:pc: See fidodido's Fry's Ad $39.99

Legend of the Dragon Dev. Neko Entertainment Pub. Game Factory Systems: PSP MSRP: $29.99
Apparently, this game is based on an animated television series that I've never heard of. It's also got the PS2/PSP/Wii development trifecta going for it, so you know the quality bar is set at world-record height from the get-go. Punch, kick, and throw enemies of various difficulties in 8 different modes until youíve reached the ultimate goal of resolving a conflict of some sort. I'm sure it's all very satisfying. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Legend of the Dragon.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)

Marvel Trading Card Game Dev. Konami Pub. Konami Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
The DS finally gets its turn at the Marvel card game that has about the most straightforward name you can get. Put together a deck of your favorite super heroes and battle them. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Marvel Trading Card Game, but Family Video will save you a little over a buck.

:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Marvel Ultimate Alliance: Gold Edition Dev. Raven Software Pub. Activision Systems: 360 MSRP: $59.99
It's standard fare for Activision games by now. Release the game, wait a few months, release the downloadable content, wait a few weeks, release the "Gold Edition" to retail stores. It's actually a pretty good model that doesn't piss me off whether I'm an early adopter or jumping on board late. Well, this time around you get eight more playable characters (Venom, Magneto, Hulk, etc.) and an extra 250 achievement points to mash away at. And unlike the Spider-Man 3 movie, more superheroes and villains is never a bad thing. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Marvel Ultimate Alliance: Gold Edition.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)

Naruto Ninja Council 3 Dev. Eighting Pub. D3 Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Naruto: Ninja Council 3 has over 40 missions, 25 characters, and 4 player support. Keeping with the number theme, I have 0 interest. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Naruto Ninja Council 3.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping & Free Playing Card)

New York Times Crosswords Dev. Majesco Pub. Majesco Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
This game is rather self-explanatory. Put your vast knowledge of Broadway musical directors and Latin root words to use with this DS game that offers over 1,000 puzzles and three modes of game-play. Use the touch screen to write in your own answers without worrying about making a mistake…there’s both a “hint” and an “undo” special feature. But wait, there’s more … you can compete with up to three friends OR all work together to complete a single puzzle. This game offers competitive crossword playing like never before. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals on New York Times Crosswords.

Odin Sphere Dev. Vanillaware Pub. Atlus Systems: PS2 MSRP: $39.99
If you are into action-RPGs, even the slightest bit, you owe it to yourself to give Odin Sphere from Atlus a look. The animation and enormous hand-drawn sprites featured in this 2D scroller are some of the prettiest and most unique graphics to hit the PS2. The game itself is a mix of platforming, role-playing, and just beating the fuck out of anything that gets in your way - all while being pretty. And I'm sure this goes without saying here, but Odin Sphere could easily become a game that you'll have to pay out the nose for in the future if you pass it by now. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Odin Sphere.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End Dev. Eurocom Entertainment Software Pub. Disney Interactive Systems: Everything MSRP: $29.99-$59.99
Already played through Spider-Man 3 and Shrek 3 and thirsting for more summer blockbuster cash-in action? Well, Pirates of the Caribbean has arrived to plunder what's left of your license-loving booty. I'm sure it's a perfectly middle-of-the-road game that will make obscene amounts of money and cause people to write really lame "booty" jokes. - ship

Best Deal:
There are several deals/offers for Pirates of the Caribbean. Fry's is offering around $11 off various versions. Family Video generally saves you a few dollars on each version. Target is offering a free $10 gift card with purchase. Circuit City is offering a free t-shirt and Best Buy is offering $5 in Concession Cash.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.82 (Free Shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)
:360: See speedy1961's Target Ad $59.99 (Free $10 Target Gift Card)
:360: See speedy1961's Circuit City Ad $59.99 (Free T-Shirt)
:360: See speedy1961's Best Buy Ad $59.99 (Free $5 in Concession Cash)
:360: See fidodido's Fry's Ad $48.99
:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.82 (Free Shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $26.99 (99 cent shipping)
:ds: See speedy1961's Target Ad $29.99 (Free $10 Target Gift Card)
:ds: See speedy1961's Circuit City Ad $29.99 (Free T-Shirt)
:ds: See speedy1961's Best Buy Ad $29.99 (Free $5 in Concession Cash)
:pc: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free Shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Family Video $26.99 (99 cent shipping)
:pc: See speedy1961's Target Ad $29.99 (Free $10 Target Gift Card)
:pc: See speedy1961's Best Buy Ad $29.99 (Free $5 in Concession Cash)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free Shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $35.99 (99 cent shipping)
:ps2: See speedy1961's Target Ad $39.99 (Free $10 Target Gift Card)
:ps2: See speedy1961's Circuit City Ad $39.99 (Free T-Shirt)
:ps2: See speedy1961's Best Buy Ad $39.99 (Free $5 in Concession Cash)
:ps2: See fidodido's Fry's Ad $28.99
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free Shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $53.99 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: See speedy1961's Target Ad $59.99 (Free $10 Target Gift Card)
:ps3: See fidodido's Fry's Ad $48.99
:psp: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free Shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $26.99 (99 cent shipping)
:psp: See speedy1961's Target Ad $29.99 (Free $10 Target Gift Card)
:psp: See speedy1961's Circuit City Ad $29.99 (Free T-Shirt)
:psp: See speedy1961's Best Buy Ad $29.99 (Free $5 in Concession Cash)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $49.82 (Free Shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Family Video $44.99 (99 cent shipping)
:wii: See speedy1961's Target Ad $49.99 (Free $10 Target Gift Card)
:wii: See speedy1961's Circuit City Ad $49.99 (Free T-Shirt)
:wii: See speedy1961's Best Buy Ad $49.99 (Free $5 in Concession Cash)
:wii: See fidodido's Fry's Ad $38.99

WarTech: Senko no Ronde Dev. G.rev Ltd. Pub. Ubi Soft Systems: 360 MSRP: $59.99
It's the year somethingsomething, and in this bleak future you must climb into a giant flying robot and fight other giant flying robots. Sure, we've all been there before, but this is a lot different than your standard mech combat game. Senko no Ronde is a top down shooter/fighter hybrid that plays much like a 2D version of Virtual On. You select your character and then battle it out against another "Rounder" by filling the screen with laser bullets. So what this ultimately results in is a very niche arcade game for which Japanophiles have been clammoring. This shows a lot of sack for Ubi Soft to publish this in the States, and I'd say they should count it as a win anytime someone even takes the time to flip the game over to look at the box art. Couple that with Ubi's track record of price cuts, and I fully expect the $60 MSRP on WarTech to drop rather quickly. - ship

Best Deal:
Amazon is offering WarTech: Senko no Ronde for $57 shipped.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $56.99 (Free shipping)

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Blazing Lazers Systems: Wii MSRP: $6
A top-tier SHMUP that many consider to be one of the elite TurboGrafx-16 games. It's pretty standard space- shooter fare with upgradeable weapons, but it's better than most of the shooters that have hit the Virtual Console so far. - ship

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest Systems: Wii MSRP: $8
The one true and great thing about Nintendo is that they've never failed to capitalize on nostalgia quite like anyone else. Maybe it's because it's hard not to love any game with Mario or Link or DK, even if it's a game we've played before. But I'm getting off topic here. This week marks the release of Donkey Kong Country 2 for the Wii Virtual Console. You know it, you've played it, you love it. And for $8, you can love it all over again. - mrs. ship

Rush'n Attack Systems: 360 MSRP: $5
Things Cheapy D remembers about this game:

1. There's a "red alert" type horn in the beginning
2. You had a knife
3. There were dogs
4. And Missile Trucks
5. It Was Hard

Yeah, that's about the same as my recollections on this one. I remember my friend had the NES version and I played it once, died a bunch, and never wanted to play it again. - ship

Streets of Rage 2 Systems: Wii MSRP: $8
The beat'em ups have certainly been pushed hard these last few weeks and Streets of Rage 2 is another excellent example of the genre. If you were a Genesis kid, this game was pretty much standard issue. And unlike most other good first party Genesis games, Sega didn't include this one on any recent compilation so maybe you won't feel quite so bad about purchasing this one on the Virtual Console. If you don't have it already, what are you waiting for? Get a buddy and help Axel, Blaze, Skate, and Max Thunder save Adam from the nefarious Mr. X. What kind of name is Adam? - ship

Xevious Systems: 360 MSRP: $5
Xevious is one of those "classic" arcade games that I never was willing to drop a quarter in. While I appreciate it's groundbreaking work as one of the first vertical scrolling SHMUPs, it was quickly outclassed by the myriad of shooters it spawned. Now it's not much more than a footnote in video game history, but it'll be on XBLA so you can recreate that retro arcade feeling of choosing not to play it. - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

Awesome work man, you convinced me not to buy Dawn of Mana, which saves me $50! Thanks a bunch

I am so pissed! My buy.com shipment of Odin Sphere has been delayed!!! I guess all there copies were sold out!
I thought this game was sopose to be a sleeper hit!!!

Two notes on the DS version of Marvel Trading Card Game:

1. You can only play the single player mode or against other DS users. You cannot play PSP/PC users through the official online play and tournaments on the marveltcgonline.com website.

2. There are fewer cards in this version than in the other versions. The DS version has only the first 4 Marvel VS sets (Origins, Web of Spiderman, Marvel Knights, and Avengers) while the other two versions have the 5th Marvel set (X-Men) with options if Konami wants to of adding the two newest Marvel sets (Heralds of Galactus and Marvel Team-Up) via patches.

A full retail PC version (PC demo available now gives you access to online play) is supposed to come out soon. Konami has yet to give an official release date but last I heard it was supposed to be in 2 weeks (first week in June.)

Ship, Halo 2 Vista isn't out this week, it got delayed to June 1st.

The extra two and a half years brought out numerous delays as well as a ton of bugs and a game that looks like shit, doesn't take advantage of DX 10, and shouldn't be Vista exclusive at all.

I think I'll use an Amazon Prime trial one of these days to get Art of Fighting for $15 shipped, that's not bad.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Two notes on the DS version of Marvel Trading Card Game:

1. You can only play the single player mode or against other DS users. You cannot play PSP/PC users through the official online play and tournaments on the marveltcgonline.com website.

2. There are fewer cards in this version than in the other versions. The DS version has only the first 4 Marvel VS sets (Origins, Web of Spiderman, Marvel Knights, and Avengers) while the other two versions have the 5th Marvel set (X-Men) with options if Konami wants to of adding the two newest Marvel sets (Heralds of Galactus and Marvel Team-Up) via patches.[/quote]

So, basically, unless we have a real compelling reason to get the DS version, if we want a handheld version, the PSP version clearly has more going for it?

[quote name='blandstalker']So, basically, unless we have a real compelling reason to get the DS version, if we want a handheld version, the PSP version clearly has more going for it?[/quote]

Yes the PSP version if far superior to the DS version. If you don't have a PSP, like myself, I would suggest waiting for the PC version, or getting the DS version as cheaply as possible. Problem is with Konami's distribution of this game, the only B&M store that will carry the game will be Gamestop. Otherwise look to get it online.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yes the PSP version if far superior to the DS version. If you don't have a PSP, like myself, I would suggest waiting for the PC version, or getting the DS version as cheaply as possible. Problem is with Konami's distribution of this game, the only B&M store that will carry the game will be Gamestop. Otherwise look to get it online.[/quote]

I do have a PSP, and TRU stocks the PSP version in store. I've held off buying it in case the DS version was a better purchase, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Guess I'll wait 'till the next TRU coupon comes along.

Doesn't the CLAP come after PUMP?
It's been a while.

Also, I believe Fry's has the best deal for Odin's Sphere.
Isn't it $35 with free shipping?

Unless you go with Buy.com and the GCO. Mine came to 28.99 total (free cheap shipping and no tax). I don't know if Frys takes GCO but that would potentially be cheaper.

[quote name='blandstalker']I do have a PSP, and TRU stocks the PSP version in store. I've held off buying it in case the DS version was a better purchase, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Guess I'll wait 'till the next TRU coupon comes along.[/quote]

Cool, as a VS player I'm glad more than 1 retailer has the game in stock. I misspoke and should of said that the only store I've seen it at is Gamestop (which is the case here in STL as I've been to multiple Wal-Mart's, Target's, BB's, and the only CC and TRU near me and I'd not seen it anywhere other than Gamestop.

If you need any advise about the card game, feel free to PM me. I don't have as much experience with the online game, but I've been to 3 Pro Circuits in the physical card game and can advise you on what decks to build as it's pretty much the same as the online game.

The only caveat between real life and the Konami game is that there are about 30-40 cards that are currently bugged and don't work properly. If you go to the forums on marveltcgonline.com you should see a thread that has a link to the page on wikipedia that lists the problems Konami is working on fixing.

bread's done
Back