Beckham's Galaxy debut

Don Chubo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Well, I didn't see a thread about this, so I thought I'd pop off a couple of thoughts :

It was funny about how many different people said that Beckham coming to the Galaxy will start a new era for American soccer. Didn't they say the same thing about Pele when he joined the N.Y. Cosmos? It didn't happen then, and I doubt it'll happen now.

The star sightings, and the constant focus on them...there weren't that many "stars" there. I was surprised - figured there'd be a lot more luminaries at something this hyped.

One of the ESPN dumbasses compared Beckham taking the pitch with Willis Reed playing when he was badly injured. Anyone who knows sports knows that such an analogy is totally damn ridiculous and that the guy that said that ought to be out of a job.

Will Beckham be the savior of American soccer? I doubt it. He's definitely past his prime. He can contribute, but he's on a lousy team and for the most part it's a sport that Americans don't care about.

Finally, there was talk of the huge party that Tom "Batshit Insane" Cruise, his poor brainwashed wife, Will Smith and his wife were throwing. Surely the Beckhams are the #1 target to Scientology now, so they'll be courted hard. After all, $250 million will buy a lot of auditing!

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']He can contribute, but he's on a lousy team and for the most part it's a sport that Americans don't care about.
[/QUOTE]

/thread over

Seriously, Soccer is so damn boring. I never liked it and no damn superstar will change that.

Divers killed soccer. Especially in conjunction with shoddy refereeing.

Anyone see the U20 Chile Vs. Argentina game (highlights, of course)?

*shudders*

Argentinians were looking like synchronized swimmers on the pitch. Rediculous.

bread's done
Back