Miyamoto: New Characters in 08?

EXStrike

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
From Joystiq:

In an interview with Dean Takahashi, Shigeru Miyamoto said that Nintendo may introduce some new characters next year "in the same way [Nintendo] came up with Pikmin when [they] introduced the GameCube." While that's all well and good for getting us pumped for The Next Big Thing, we're more interested in Miyamoto's explanation of why it's taking so long.

"I guess I don't necessarily see my job as creating new characters as it is creating new experiences," he said, later adding, "For characters, we came up with the concept of the Miis and that allows people to come up with their own characters." So don't forget you read it here first, the next big Nintendo characters are Chuck Norris, Kenny, Dr. Zoidberg and, of course, indie rockers Wilco. Wow ... the next Smash Bros. is going to be awesome.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/31/miyamoto-hints-at-new-nintendo-franchise-in-2008/

Intriguing.

New characters? Well there is the helper cap and the weird looking thing from Brain Academy. Project Hammer guy could have be one. It better not be another Mario/Luigi pallette swap or a baby version of some existing character.

They would bank more on bringing a Kid Icarus game out. Or Punch-Out. Even games like Ice Climbers could use a Wii makeover.

I think 2008 will have Mario Kart (delayed unti l late 2008), Animal Crossing, a few Mario Sports, Wii Music and Wii Fitness, maybe DK and then hopefully several new games. Then 2009 will have Kirby, F-Zero, DK (if not 2008), and some more Mario Sports along with new charater games.

It seems Nintendo is trying to get all their big games out first to please the base and then realize games to please most others.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Then 2009 will have Kirby, F-Zero, DK (if not 2008), and some more Mario Sports along with new charater games.[/QUOTE]
And Wii 2 / Wii Advance / Wii Lite. You forgot about hardware.

My guess for the new IP is something furry and cute. Little mice, maybe. In the game you use the wiimote to assist the mice in stacking objects near tables so they can climb up and get food. Wait, that's too close to Pikmin. And Jenga. And Chibi Robo. Hmm. I'm stumped.

I'm still hoping for Disaster Day of Crisis. The idea seems to be a good one, I just hope they are able to pull it off, and if done well, could be one of their new characters.

Good news. I love the big franchises, but have to admit they are getting a bit stale for me.

Would love to see some new characters, game types etc.

I want some new characters, not any of this Waluigi shit.

Not that Waluigi isn't badass, but we need something fresh.

[quote name='MisterHand']They've done evil Mario (Wario) and Baby Mario. Now it's time for Girl Mario. Naggio?[/QUOTE]

good lord, you deserve a medal for this. :lol:

[quote name='Vinny']Mama Mario, Papa Mario, Grandpa Mario, Aunt Mario, and so on...[/QUOTE]
Very possible. Also, we could always use more Kongs and half-assed jungle platformers. Rare got the ball rolling with DK64--time to invent some new kongs and collect for great justice.

[quote name='monkeydeew']metrosexual Link?[/quote]

Aren't there about 25 Zelda games now staring him?

[quote name='Moxio'] Waluigi is shit.
[/quote]

Fixed

[quote name='bigdaddy']Aren't there about 25 Zelda games now staring him?
[/QUOTE]

Well they could always turn it over to Sega and then we would have a shadow link and he could sport a gun?!?

[quote name='willardhaven']I'm still waiting for Wario Bros.

Why make Waluigi and then not make a spoof of the Mario Bros. series?[/QUOTE]

Or better yet a behind the scenes remake of one the major games in the series... As if Waluigi and or Wario were helping Bowser or even competing with Bowser as well.

[quote name='Snake2715']Or better yet a behind the scenes remake of one the major games in the series... As if Waluigi and or Wario were helping Bowser or even competing with Bowser as well.[/quote]

Thats a cool idea.

Have a like a 'Evil Super Mario Bros' game. Looks just like Super Mario Bros, only Mario runs thru the levels automatically, and you control the Koopas, and Lakitus, and the Bowser wannabes at the end of each castle. Your trying to prevent Mario from finishing the game...

To me it seems like they arent making any characters, just a game(or games) where you can use your miis as the characters. Not a bad concept, but not as good as a new franchise with a household name.

Miis are the new character design of Nintendo. But, I hope at some point developers can change their art style around for in-game stuff.
But, if it's a new character, just out of the blue, I expect it to be designed around Mrs. Miyamoto so Mr. Miyamoto can retire. But, that's just his dream I guess.

bread's done
Back