Looking for a game for my Dad

lbradeen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hey guys,

I picked up my first 360 a week ago and havent played any games on it yet. I just found a Premium w/ rrod for $120 from a friend of mines so I want to get it for my Dad and little brother for Christmas but I have no idea what games to get along with it. (yay run on sentances)

My dad's mid 50's and likes gaming but doesn't really have time for it anymore. He used to be big into FPS' back in the day but I dont think he had the time to finish HL2. My little bro's 12 so he's not quite ready for gore fests and fps' but his pride would be hurt if I got him a Barbie Princess game.

Ideally I'd like to get them a game they could play together but I'll settle for one for each.

Thanks in advance

Without knowing what they're into, it's really tough to recommend. Not ever 50-year-old or 12-year-old likes the same stuff.

Race games are usually quite dad-friendly, and 360 has a ton of them. Something like Forza 2, Burnout: Revenge or Project Gotham 3 would go over well and they're not too expensive.

LEGO Star Wars is a great game they could play together. Simpsons might fit their personalities too, and it's also got co-op.

Finally, Fight Night Round 3 is great, and could inspires some spirited competition. It's still a beautiful game, and could be found easily for about $20.

For your Dad: IDK how hardcore he is, but Bioshock comes immediately to mind. It's story seems more catered to the older crowd. Rainbow Six Vegas and Halo 3 are also fantastic picks, as is COD4 actually. If I had to make you choose, I'd say COD4. The campaign is short, 5-6 hours on regular, but is amazing. If you dad likes it enough, he can up the difficulty. Plus there's the MP, but his lack of time leads me to believe he'll get consistently owned. There's also Gears of War The campaign is simply amazing. Your dad can also turn off the gore if he wants to play co-op with your 12 year old bro. And trust me, they'll want to play co-op.

For your bro and both: Burnout Revenge can be had for cheap. The XBLA library seems perfectly suited for your needs. Also look into Dirt, Viva Pinata, GH3, Tiger Woods 08 is awesome for absolutely everyone.

EDIT: I'd second Lego Star Wars full heartedly as well, great for everyone at any age.

I haven't played it myself(due to beating burnt out on beat'em ups/hack and slash's on the PS2) but Marvel Ultimate Alliance might be a good choice. It's not excessively gory and you can play up to 4 player's co op. That and your brother may have a favorite Marvel Hero that he might want to play as. In the same area, the Lego Star Wars collection is another choice.

Also some of the Arcade titles might be up for both your dad and brother. Geometry Wars (although I'm not that good) is pretty fun and I pick it up to play for 10-15 minutes every once in a while and it's enjoyable(or at least I think so anyway.)

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably have to get them the simpsons and star wars games. I'd forgotten about those and they both seem to be episodic in nature which would lend itself to be played in relatively short intervals. Will get them PGR3 as well.

I think my dad would really like Bioshock but it might require too much extended time.

How are you gonna fix your 360?

You can't go wrong with Bioshock/COD4

12 is already old. I played Mortal Kombat 3 when I was about 4-5 years old. I didn't turn out bad. If your really protective, just snatch Halo 3. (Its an FPS but its not really gorey) 10 year olds are all over that game :lol:

Not my decision on what he can play :) My step mom (his mom) is an elementary school principal so that's where the rules come from.

My 360 just needed a new dvd drive so I'm swapping that out, i've extracted the drive key from the defective one and am awaiting a used drive to pop in. I'm going to be sending theirs back to MS to be refurbed as it's unopened and has the rrod.

Call of Duty 2 and 4 and Halo 3, My dad is 58 and last year I was able to convince him to play games and he was hooked. By far COD is his favorite game, I think your dad would like it cause he used to be a FPS fan.

Hey, guys -- please at least attempt to stay away from gory M-rated stuff. Chances are if dad is playing, 12-year-old will be watching/wanting to play too. We all have instances where we saw/played/heard something that was "age-inappropriate" when we were kids, but it's not our call with someone else's child. Try to respect that. Almost every recommendation here is Mature-rated...

perfect dark zero might also be good fps for him, definately the lego star wars, also, dont forget that whole library of backwards compatible original xbox games that are out there for them as well (read most can be had for pretty cheap). Just some thoughts....

My bro might be into DoA :)

I'll take a look at perfect dark as I've heard really good things about the older ones.

At this point im thinking about getting Skate, PGR3, and Lego Star Wars.

If he likes FPS singleplayer games I recommend some cheaper titles like Call of Duty 2, Far Cry Predator, Civil War by the History Channel, Quake 4, & Prey.

Family wise try Progect Gotham 3, WWE Wrestling, & Fight Night.

Bioshock, good story driven FPS with the best atmosphere in a game in years.

Orange box, HL2, Episode 1 and 2, portal and team fortress, a great value and great games.

Might want to look into XBA games also since there are a variaty of them which can be enjoyed by many different kinds of gamers.

I'd say Guitar Hero 2 and 3, or Rock Band. Those games are great pick up and play games, and addicting too.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']Dude, that was totally uncalled for.

...The dad's in his 50's. :lol:[/QUOTE]

what's your point? I think it's a good bonding moment between father and son to play a game like that :)

Being 50 doesn't mean you're too old for some good old fashions TnA. With that being said, I recommend Rumble Roses.

[quote name='xdl']Being 50 doesn't mean you're too old for some good old fashions TnA. With that being said, I recommend Rumble Roses.[/QUOTE]

That's if he is into the weird fetish thing those games offer. Heck I traded in RR for the PS2 as part of my other games I traded in for halo 3. I'm not going to touch RR XX for the 360.

I second Marvel Ultimate Alliance. It's not at all gory, and has about as much violence as a comic book. It's definitely the best choice for co-op gaming (although Lego Star Wars is a close second). Plus, since they've released like 3 versions of it, the original should be really cheap wherever you shop.

Guitar hero 2 or rock band. Guitar hero 3 isn't as good as Guitar hero 2. (There aren't as many good songs in GH3 and it is harder)

COD4 comes to mind.

If you didn't mention that your dad was a gamer, and actually can play FPS's and the like, then I would have said Guitar Hero, because that is the one game every non-gamer friend I've sat down in front have has enjoyed.

[quote name='ITDEFX']still not easy to get for some people..[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I tried to get my family into Wii Sports and it simply didn't work. The only game I've ever gotten my non-gamer family into is Guitar Hero on easy.

[quote name='PyroGamer']

Agreed. I tried to get my family into Wii Sports and it simply didn't work. The only game I've ever gotten my non-gamer family into is Guitar Hero on easy.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean get into ... what I said was that the Wii is NOT easy to get like the 360/ps3. You just can't go to a store right now and pick up a Wii because your local best buy has 50 of them in stock.

I would say for your dad pick up the amazing deal on amazon (on front page) $50 for BioShock and The Darkness. You can not go wrong with those games at that price. I consider them both single player since The Darkness' multiplayer was laggy as hell (when I played) and felt tacked on. BioShock is definitely worth $60 and I would say like 30-40 for The Darkness so IMO that's a great deal.

For your brother, does he like sports games?
Viva Pinata maybe? I wasn't a fan but just not my type of game.
Project Gotham Racing is pretty fun and Ridge Racer VI is great if you love arcade style racers.

Guitar Hero if you want to spend big bucks.
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga if your looking for a regular priced game
Lego Star Wars II if your going cheap.

Or Scene It? if they're movie buffs :D

bread's done
Back