my local kmart still had 80 gig ps3's.

HailGalvatron

CAGiversary!
i just bought an 80 gig motorstorm bundle ps3 at a kmart in wilkes-barre PA. this was the only place in the valley that had them. if anyone wants an 80 gig before june, try your local k-marts and maybe you'll find one.

[quote name='HailGalvatron']i just bought an 80 gig motorstorm bundle ps3 at a kmart in wilkes-barre PA. this was the only place in the valley that had them. if anyone wants an 80 gig before june, try your local k-marts and maybe you'll find one.[/quote]

Thanks?

[quote name='manthing']I've seen 60 GBs at Kmarts recently...is that a deal as well?[/quote]

Factory Sealed 60 GBs? I would say yes, but that's just me. People get anal here about anything that's posted at MSRP, even when it's amazingly rare.

[quote name='HailGalvatron']i just bought an 80 gig motorstorm bundle ps3 at a kmart in wilkes-barre PA. this was the only place in the valley that had them. if anyone wants an 80 gig before june, try your local k-marts and maybe you'll find one.[/quote]

As for a Motorstorm package, yeah, that is kinda hard to find. But there are still a ton of 80 gig PS3s still floating out there in retail stores.

I don't get it...are 80 gig PS3s getting cancelled or something?

I heard in the rumor mill that they're getting ready to UP the GB's on both models again, but i doubt it'll happen anytime soon. More like Late Summer news for Xmas coming up

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']I don't get it...are 80 gig PS3s getting cancelled or something?[/quote]

The SKU for the Motorstorm bundle is done, supposedly the rumors are the stand alone will be phased out soon too. Which will leave only the one with the MGS4 bundle.

The 60 gig one is the one hasn't been production for awhile & discontinued.

My K-Mart (Ames, IA) had three PS3's in stock about two weeks ago: a 60GB, an 80GB with Motorstorm, and a 40GB with the Spider-Man 3 Blu-ray. That made me laugh.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Factory Sealed 60 GBs? I would say yes, but that's just me. People get anal here about anything that's posted at MSRP, even when it's amazingly rare.[/quote]

I don't know about that. I see plenty of happy people when someone posts that x or y store has or is getting the Wii's in. Why complain about PS3's and not the Wii? (yea, one or two people still complain, but not a majority). Someone is trying to help out other CAGs, I say thumbs up to you :)

I don't really think that the 80gig models are that hard to find. They have been at a few Targets in my area, namely Novato, Vallejo, and Fairfield SF Bay locations.

If you can hold out until June you can get a much sweeter 80gb bundle with Metal Gear Solid 4 and a dual shock controller. So no need to run out and scoop up an 80gb now.

You can read about it here: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/855/855057p1.html

The 60gb (with superior backwards compatibility) is more of a find. What were they charging for it?

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']I don't get it...are 80 gig PS3s getting cancelled or something?[/quote]

I purchased my 60GB model from a K-Mart several weeks ago. It was the same price as the 80GB model, $499...

Got cancelled a while ago.

[quote name='Methadon']Got cancelled a while ago.[/quote]

No only the Motorstorm bundle was canceled. There is a Metal Gear Sold 4 bundle comming out soon.

Anyone know why they are bundeling such a high class game with a unit? usualy they wait untill the game has sold a couple million before they start packaging it, unless sony is so desperate that they think people will purchase a PS3 because its bundled with MGS4.

[quote name='Sinnbox']No only the Motorstorm bundle was canceled. There is a Metal Gear Sold 4 bundle comming out soon.

Anyone know why they are bundeling such a high class game with a unit? usualy they wait untill the game has sold a couple million before they start packaging it, unless sony is so desperate that they think people will purchase a PS3 because its bundled with MGS4.[/quote]
people will purchase a PS3 for MGS4, though, because it is such a beloved franchise, so it is actually a great move.

it's a common practice in japan, too.

[quote name='Sinnbox']
unless sony is so desperate that they think people will purchase a PS3 because its bundled with MGS4.[/quote]

MGS4 will be a system seller. Sony is not "desperate" but just aware of this fact.

Anyone know why they are bundeling such a high class game with a unit? usualy they wait untill the game has sold a couple million before they start packaging it, unless sony is so desperate that they think people will purchase a PS3 because its bundled with MGS4.

oh i can answer that because some people will...i know i will for one :p
though i had planed on buying a ps3 for blu-ray just wanted to wait untill ether tekken 6 or MGS 4 came out

[quote name='pday1']people will purchase a PS3 for MGS4, though, because it is such a beloved franchise, so it is actually a great move.

it's a common practice in japan, too.[/quote]

[quote name='gobz'] MGS4 will be a system seller. Sony is not "desperate" but just aware of this fact. quote]

[quote name='CATPERSAIN'] oh i can answer that because some people will...i know i will for one :p
though i had planed on buying a ps3 for blu-ray just wanted to wait untill ether tekken 6 or MGS 4 came out [/quote]

I didn't mean to sound like a fanboy, sorry if i did, I just think that it is a bad move for konami, They already talked about how they need to sell Xamount of units on day one. I would think that sony would be gobbling up alot of their profit by bundling. I'm personaly waiting for FFXIII to come out, or something before that that catches my eye.

k-mart's dont really seem to be known for moving product mine still has almost all of there launch stock of halo 3 left you know the 1 with the dont sell before date. but ys mine also has a couple of 80 gigs left in dixon,il.

[quote name='paintball745']k-mart's dont really seem to be known for moving product mine still has almost all of there launch stock of halo 3 left you know the 1 with the dont sell before date. but ys mine also has a couple of 80 gigs left in dixon,il.[/quote]

My K-Mart used ot have loads of old stuff, now i think they have an employee that grabs it and hides it as soon as it hits clearance.

I saw a 20 gig at Kmart last week. I'm pissed because I missed a sale for it for $399 by 5 days. I would have snagged that baby then. It's $499 now.

[quote name='Antic']I saw a 20 gig at Kmart last week. I'm pissed because I missed a sale for it for $399 by 5 days. I would have snagged that baby then. It's $499 now.[/QUOTE]

The 20GB was $499? Wow.. that seems excessive.

I have looked this up (at length) but figure y'all know - is there a performance difference OTHER THAN BC between the 20/40/60/80? Like with the 360s and the Falcon chipset and all that..

If they're all the same heat, noise, size, shape, and color; is the only difference the BC on the 20/60GB models (and obviously the 20GB lacking HDMI, wifi, etc.)?

[quote name='foundation']If they're all the same heat, noise, size, shape, and color; is the only difference the BC on the 20/60GB models (and obviously the 20GB lacking HDMI, wifi, etc.)?[/quote]
To my knowledge, that is correct, BC is the only difference.

Wish we had some KMarts around here, seems like there are always some good deals available there.

[quote name='foundation']
If they're all the same heat, noise, size, shape, and color; is the only difference the BC on the 20/60GB models (and obviously the 20GB lacking HDMI, wifi, etc.)?[/quote]

:whistle2:s

ALL PS3s have HDMI built in. The only things the 20GBs lack are WiFi, flash card readers, and chrome trim, when compared to the 60 GB...

Better yet read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Retail_configurations

Hopefully this helps

Wichita K-mart had TWO 80gb PS3's in stock about 2 weeks ago. But I think they're gone now cuz I called them yesterday and said they had no stock.

[quote name='Sinnbox']

I didn't mean to sound like a fanboy, sorry if i did, I just think that it is a bad move for konami, They already talked about how they need to sell Xamount of units on day one. I would think that sony would be gobbling up alot of their profit by bundling. I'm personaly waiting for FFXIII to come out, or something before that that catches my eye.[/quote]

Maybe that's exactly the point. Maybe because Konami said they had to sell so many units, maybe Sony just bought the units upfront. Perhaps this was a way for keeping the game exclusive.

Otherwise, I agree, it seems an odd move. It seems to me that people who would be motivated to buy a PS3 to play MGS4 would buy a PS3 whether MGS4 was bundled with it or not. Seems like Sony would sell as many MGS4s standalone as this bundle is gonna push.

Very interesting point. I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense that Sony would offer to bundle in MGS4 (guaranteeing a large number of sales -- Konami isn't losing money on the deal since they presumably get paid for the games whether Sony buys them for bundling or whether they're sold to retailers) in exchange for an exclusivity period.

[quote name='hostyl1']Maybe that's exactly the point. Maybe because Konami said they had to sell so many units, maybe Sony just bought the units upfront. Perhaps this was a way for keeping the game exclusive.

Otherwise, I agree, it seems an odd move. It seems to me that people who would be motivated to buy a PS3 to play MGS4 would buy a PS3 whether MGS4 was bundled with it or not. Seems like Sony would sell as many MGS4s standalone as this bundle is gonna push.[/quote]

2 of the 3 Kmarts around here have 60GB still in stock for $499. There were 3 at one and 1 at the other. I've seen them in other Kmarts in Hampton Roads and in Fredericksburg too.

[quote name='hostyl1']Maybe that's exactly the point. Maybe because Konami said they had to sell so many units, maybe Sony just bought the units upfront. Perhaps this was a way for keeping the game exclusive.

Otherwise, I agree, it seems an odd move. It seems to me that people who would be motivated to buy a PS3 to play MGS4 would buy a PS3 whether MGS4 was bundled with it or not. Seems like Sony would sell as many MGS4s standalone as this bundle is gonna push.[/quote]
They never said that at all.

Well, since this thread is still alive (thought a mod would close it a while ago) I will add my find.

Kmart in Brooklyn or is it Parma, Ohio has 2 80GB Motorstorm bundles for those who want one.

[quote name='manthing']:whistle2:s

ALL PS3s have HDMI built in. The only things the 20GBs lack are WiFi, flash card readers, and chrome trim, when compared to the 60 GB...

Better yet read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Retail_configurations

Hopefully this helps[/QUOTE]

OH, of course, wikipedia.. thanks for the link! Maybe we should change the thread to a consolidated brand-new 60GB ps3 finds thread (a la Wii threads).

The bundle will also catch some people who don't necessarily want MGS4, but are interested in having the bigger HDD and the software BC (assuming they leave that in the 80gb bundle). I haven't played and MGS game since the original one, and I haven't really ever felt the desire to, but if the 80gb bundle brings back BC I'm in for one, and if the MGS4 bundle is all that's available, then that's what I'm getting.

[quote name='Sinnbox']No only the Motorstorm bundle was canceled. There is a Metal Gear Sold 4 bundle comming out soon.

Anyone know why they are bundeling such a high class game with a unit? usualy they wait untill the game has sold a couple million before they start packaging it, unless sony is so desperate that they think people will purchase a PS3 because its bundled with MGS4.[/quote]

Bundling systems with system selling games should be done more often, not less often and only out of desperation. Keep increasing the number of PS3's in households.

My local BB has had about 6 PS3's for the last 8 weeks or so. I would definitely buy it if I had the credit for it=/... Sucks to be me.

Anyone find any good flips lately? I haven't been able to find any...

Another question... Does BB give out the game cases that they get? Today, I saw they received like 12 Bully: Scholarship Edition games and I was too much of an idiot to ask if they were going to throw out the cases. I could've used at least one too =/. Stupid Gamestop stickers raped my Gears of War case.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Bundling systems with system selling games should be done more often, not less often and only out of desperation. Keep increasing the number of PS3's in households.[/quote]

Actually, I dont know why they bother bundling *any* game. Personally, if it were me and my company, I'd just include an "instant coupon" that allows the system buyer to select any game they wanted and get up to $59.99 off the game. Recently, MicroCenter did something like that with the DS Lite, but they actually gave two coupons. The caveat being one could be used in Dec, the other in Jan. So I got my mom a DS with Big Brain Academy for Christmas and used the Jan coupon for Phantom Hourglass for me \\:D/

That, IMHO, would be better than trying to figure out which *one* game is best for all your consumers.

Interesting idea. I'm sure it would cost them a lot more though (with the bundle they pay whatever discounted wholesale price they work out with the game maker, but with a coupon they're reimbursing the retailer the full $60). Plus if they don't sell at exactly the rate you expect you may end up with systems on shelves with expired coupons which no one will want to buy.

I agree that that would be the best thing for consumers though! By the way were those MicroCenter coupons for up to $35 each? If so that's an incredible deal!

[quote name='hostyl1']Actually, I dont know why they bother bundling *any* game. Personally, if it were me and my company, I'd just include an "instant coupon" that allows the system buyer to select any game they wanted and get up to $59.99 off the game. Recently, MicroCenter did something like that with the DS Lite, but they actually gave two coupons. The caveat being one could be used in Dec, the other in Jan. So I got my mom a DS with Big Brain Academy for Christmas and used the Jan coupon for Phantom Hourglass for me \\:D/

That, IMHO, would be better than trying to figure out which *one* game is best for all your consumers.[/quote]

^I can see the "wholesale" price argument I guess. But as to the coupon, who says that they ever have to expire? There is no law that says it has to. Call it a voucher then :cool:

And on the MC thing, no, the coupon was only good for $29.99. But either way, I was happy to get it.

bread's done
Back