eBay + local pickup + paypal. How to protect myself?

techstar25

CAGiversary!
I sold my drum set on ebay, clearly labeling it "Local Pickup Only". A guy about two hours away from me, submitted an offer which I accepted. He has yet to pay, but I also marked the auction "Paypal Only".

I tacked on an additional $70, which he agreed to pay, so that I will drive them down to his town and we'll meet face to face for him to take the drums.

If he pays using Paypal, what are some ways I can protect myself from him taking my drums and then claiming to Paypal that I "never shipped the item"? Keep in mind that I will have no "delivery confirmation number" like usual, so it would just be his word against mine, as far as Paypal is concerned.

For starters, I will print up a sales receipt which I will require him to sign in person confirming receipt of the item.
I will also probably require that we meet for the exchange at the address which is his Paypal confirmed shipping address.
Any other suggestions on how to protect myself in a transaction such as this?

Edit: I just called Paypal customer service and they confirmed that with "Local Pickup" the seller receives NO SELLER PROTECTION whatsoever. The only time a seller has protection, is when the seller can provide a tracking number from a shipping company that shows the item was delivered to the verified paypal address.

So I guess it's cash only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, jus send an envelope to him, certified mail. He will have to sign for it and you'll get your protection.

Cash only works as well, and you make more.

bread's done
Back