Mega Man 9 review

Mr Durand Pierre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Mega Man 9 (Wii, PS3, Xbox 360). Review. 2008.

Depending on who you are and when you were born the name Mega Man may mean a myriad of different things for you. It'll either bring back wonderfully nostalgic memories of childhood or a soulless franchise that peaked in the late 80s that Capcom has unfathomably refused to let go. Personally, one of my greatest videogame memories ever was taking turns with my brother playing Mega Man 2 until we'd eventually beaten it. This may have had to do with the fact that this was in the preinternet days, so hints were not readily available and as a child I didn't exactly have the funds to go around buying games left and right, so I had yet to grow cynical of rehashed game design. But in that time and at that place Mega Man 2 was quite possibly the greatest thing ever.

The much hailed Mega Man 9 seeks to do away with all that Mega Man has done since the late 80s in order to become a the true successor to the now legendary Mega Man 2. Gone are the charge shot, the power slide, the 16 bit graphics. This is oldschool Mega Man to a T, like it or not.

The opening cinematic sets the scene perfectly. In a hilariously campy storyline Dr. Light is being framed for attempted world domination. The short blips of text tend to cut off midsentence at the most ill-conceived moments, so you'll get such wonderful exchanges as "Mega Man: We have to do something about," wait for the next screen to load... "those robots!!" Brilliant! It’s here that you’ll realize that Mega Man 9 is both a retro 8-bit game as well as a parody of retro 8-bit gaming. And as such it succeeds beautifully.

You'll then launch into the now famous Brady Bunch-style menu where you can face any stage in any order. It's here that the true brilliance of the game lies as everyone will conquer the stages differently. Sure there are some stages that are mercifully easier than others, but none are exactly easy. The level design throughout is quite clever, with no two stages being at all alike. Some are water based, others have disappearing platforms, and one particularly fiendish stage has platforming on tiny platforms where the wind keeps altering your trajectory. It's all good, if sadistic stuff.

Then comes the bosses, the highlight of any Mega Man game, and here's where my nostalgia begins to fall apart. The bosses are hard. Sometimes really hard. But much of that has to do with the fact that Mega Man can't jump very high (or duck for that matter) and the bosses can be rather large and you'll fight most of them in cramped quarters. At times they can feel rather cheap as they try to corner you, but once you get their trick down they all become rather easy. The problem is that if you run out lives on a boss (which will happen a lot), you'll have to redo the entire stage leading up to them. Sure, this is tradition for the series, but it ends up being frustrating in a way that isn't fun as you're just repeating stuff you know you can do, rather than embracing new challenges at every turn. But the stages are short, so it's not too bad.

What's worse is the final act of the game. As anyone whose played a Mega Man game knows, after defeating all 8 robots you'll have to enter a four stage castle with no save points. I'm all for a good challenge, but once you get to the 4th stage of the castle and realize you don't stand a chance, you'll be begging for a break. But if you turn the game off you'll have to make your way through the entire castle again. Given that the game saves your progress after beating each of the main 8 stages, would it really be too much to ask for them to do the same with the final 4 stages? Especially as there are rewards in place for those who can beat the game with no continues (or one particularly impossible award for beating the game without taking a single hit. Good luck with that one), it seems like they wouldn't have cheapened the game that much by adding more save points in the end.

And while it may sound hypocritical, I'm actually not in favor of the in-game store. You can now buy energy tanks and the like, giving the game an almost RPG like quality that makes it not so hard, if you're willing to waste a lot of time farming for currency. As a result, the game will either be too easy or too hard, depending on what equipment you've got. I'd much prefer if the game had no equipment, but better checkpointing.

Ultimately, Mega Man 9 is a bit like meeting up with an old friend who you haven't seen in years, only to realize they're at the same job, with the same person, and really haven't changed that much at all. You'll still have a good time playing catch up, but realize that you don't have as much in common as you once did. Still, if the worst thing I can say about Mega Man 9 is that it's not as amazing as Mega Man 2 was back in the day, then I'd say it's still a pretty good game. Even with the rubbish checkpointing making the game more frustrating than actually "hard," Mega Man 9 is still a lot of fun. The great level design and "tough, but fair" challenge make this still a trip worth taking (especially for the piddly $10 price point). Just don't expect it to rekindle all your long lost memories of childhood.

8/10

Pros:

+Great presentation that manages to be both sincere, and a parody of itself at the same time.
+Wonderfully challenging.
+Great level design.

Cons:

-Savepoints and checkpoints are as awful as they were back in 1988.
-Too much trial and error.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']

Cons:

-Savepoints and checkpoints are as awful as they were back in 1988.
-Too much trial and error.[/QUOTE]

Those two things are what made games fun back in the 80s. Now games save every couple minutes, and really each level is only meant to be played through once or twice. Where as back in the 80s most games you would play each levels enough times that you would memorize them. It makes the game a little more difficult but why should they be easy?

[quote name='musha666']Those two things are what made games fun back in the 80s. Now games save every couple minutes, and really each level is only meant to be played through once or twice. Where as back in the 80s most games you would play each levels enough times that you would memorize them. It makes the game a little more difficult but why should they be easy?[/QUOTE]

Well my problem wasn't that it was too difficult, but too redundant. I can understand making you replay something occasionally because maybe you only got lucky the first time, but to only give you a measly 3 lives (often the first not being very useful unless you arrive at a boss with full health) makes you repeat stuff way more than you should. I mean the platforming stuff plays out the same way each time, so once you do it the first three or so times you've pretty much gotten it down and there should be no need to repeat it. Perhaps spawning you with 5 lives after each game over would have eliviated this problem.

With Mega Man 9 I can understand people defending this concept as it is sticking with tradition and as such the game succeeds admirably. I'm just saying that I didn't think these were very good design decisions in the first place, though they were standard fair in the NES era.

It looks fun, but they shouldn't have taken out the charge/power silde... they were interesting additions. Actually, screw the power slide... just give Mega Man the ability to duck a la MMX5.

Personally, I like Mega Man X 1-2 much more than the classic Mega Man I grew up with.

I'd love to see them do something like Powered Up/ Maverick Hunter X for the next game in the series. Adding some modern polish to the classic gameplay would give it a really enticing quality.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Well my problem wasn't that it was too difficult, but too redundant. I can understand making you replay something occasionally because maybe you only got lucky the first time, but to only give you a measly 3 lives (often the first not being very useful unless you arrive at a boss with full health) makes you repeat stuff way more than you should. I mean the platforming stuff plays out the same way each time, so once you do it the first three or so times you've pretty much gotten it down and there should be no need to repeat it. Perhaps spawning you with 5 lives after each game over would have eliviated this problem.

With Mega Man 9 I can understand people defending this concept as it is sticking with tradition and as such the game succeeds admirably. I'm just saying that I didn't think these were very good design decisions in the first place, though they were standard fair in the NES era.[/QUOTE]I would normally agree
(especially upon discovering that you have to take all of the levels of Dr. Wily's lab in one go)
, but you're forgetting the addition of the shop. I think Capcom intentionally made it even more challenging than, say, Mega Man 2, because it's relatively easy to stockpile a lot of extra lives, energy tanks, etc., etc.

[quote name='willardhaven']It looks fun, but they shouldn't have taken out the charge/power silde... they were interesting additions. Actually, screw the power slide... just give Mega Man the ability to duck a la MMX5.

Personally, I like Mega Man X 1-2 much more than the classic Mega Man I grew up with.

I'd love to see them do something like Powered Up/ Maverick Hunter X for the next game in the series. Adding some modern polish to the classic gameplay would give it a really enticing quality.[/QUOTE]

See everything you just said? I agree with it.

I have both a wii and a ps3 but i got in for ps3 because i figured 8 bit graphics in 1080p is better than 8bit graphics in 480p.

I love it. Mega man 2 was one of the first nes games I ever beat and this reminds so much of it. It's a little easier though because you can buy items.

As for the power slide I'm pretty sure you will be able to buy that with DLC soon via proto man.

Your review was well written. I like the analogy

Mega Man 9 is a bit like meeting up with an old friend who you haven't seen in years, only to realize they're at the same job, with the same person, and really haven't changed that much at all. You'll still have a good time playing catch up, but realize that you don't have as much in common as you once did

I don't see your point about the checkpoint system in Mega Man 9. That's how it has always been in the stage-by-stage Mega Man games. One checkpoint at halfway, one checkpoint before the boss.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't see your point about the checkpoint system in Mega Man 9. That's how it has always been in the stage-by-stage Mega Man games. One checkpoint at halfway, one checkpoint before the boss.[/QUOTE]

Just because it's always been that way doesn't make it right. I'd probably be okay with it if the game let you continue with 5 lives rather than 3. Even if you could get to a boss without dying, you probably wouldn't have full health and thus not stand a very good chance against him on that first life. That only gives you 2 solid chances before having to do the whole level over again. Even that I could live with, but Wiley's Castle was just ridiculous. Tradition or not, it's quite simply a design choice that I find cheapens the game without really making it any harder.

The truth is that I was really excited for Mega Man 9. I was actually losing sleep over it the night before it came out. And when I finally played it I enjoyed it, but I was suddenly reminded of all the things I never liked about the series but had simply forgotten about.

But hey, if you have the patience to redo the same levels for the umpteenth time, more power to ya! I'm not going to try to stop others from enjoying it. I just didn't find it as fantastic as I had hoped.

[quote name='HowStern']I have both a wii and a ps3 but i got in for ps3 because i figured 8 bit graphics in 1080p is better than 8bit graphics in 480p.
[/QUOTE]

Except it doesn't run in HD, and even if it did, I imagine 8-bit graphics wouldn't get any kind of boost.

While I also don't like the in-game store, I assume they added it to help balance the difficulty. Speaking of difficulty, holy handstand Christ, this game is probably the most challenging Mega Man game I have played.

[quote name='Chase']While I also don't like the in-game store, I assume they added it to help balance the difficulty. Speaking of difficulty, holy handstand Christ, this game is probably the most challenging Mega Man game I have played.[/quote]

I don't think the difficulty is particularly any higher than other Mega Man games, I think the difficulty spike comes from not playing a Mega Man game in nearly a decade.

~HotShotX

bread's done
Back