Best Genesis Games

Jimbo Slice

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Looking for a list of any gems I may have missed from the Genesis Era. Here are some of my favorites on the system.

Sonic 1/2/3/&K
Ghostbusters
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Mutant League Football
Growl
Castle of Illusion Starring MM

Zombies is a great game for Genesis, but im content with my copy on the SNES.

I suppose in my collection, they would be:
Shining Force
Samurai Shodown (eh, thats a toughy there)
King of the Monsters 2 ( I really liked this game, and i have the first game for SNES also).
Ranger X ( a random mech game, but it seemed pretty fun when i played it)
Maximum Carnage (I get fustrated play this, especially the beginning where i have to get spidy to swing from building to building and i keep getting hung/ hit stuff and that ticks me off)

Mmm, i have a lot more, but there mostly crap, like Beavis and Butthead, Alien 3 and a few others.

Yea, thats my list...

Here are my suggestions:

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday
(One of my favorite RPGs)
Comix Zone (An excellent stylish sidescroller, somewhat like Viewtiful Joe, if you played that)
Golden Axe 2 (Fantasy medieval beat-em-up with co-op)
Streets of Rage 1/2/3 (Excellent street fighting beat-em-up series with co-op)
Star Control (Strategy game / overhead spaceship duels, kind of hard to explain)
Toejam and Earl (Fun overhead platformer / randomized adventure with more co-op)
Toejam and Earl 2 (Sizescrolling platform / action game)

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Looking for a list of any gems I may have missed from the Genesis Era. Here are some of my favorites on the system.

Sonic 1/2/3/&K
Ghostbusters
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Mutant League Football
Growl
Castle of Illusion Starring MM[/quote]

Growl? No idea what that game is.

Nearly three years after this post and I still stand by this recommendation
[quote name='Cao Cao']Pirates! Gold
One of my favorites, it's very open-ended and has better graphics and music than most of the other versions of Pirates! and Pirates! Gold.[/QUOTE]

Pirates! Gold is definitely my favorite out of all of the open-world Genesis games I have played. The cart is supposed to be pretty tough to find though.

Cao Cao has good taste.

I'd throw in General Chaos, and both Mutant League games. I played those four games (including Pirates) a lot back in the day.

[quote name='yukine']Can't believe I didn't mention Shadowrun. #-o

Definitely one of my favorites, I liked it a lot better than the SNES version.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, those two games were like night and day. I enjoyed both of them, but the Genesis version was fantastic.

Oh, Strider and Gain Ground. And Columns.

[quote name='yukine']Can't believe I didn't mention Shadowrun. #-o

Definitely one of my favorites, I liked it a lot better than the SNES version.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Shadowrun is another open-world favorite of mine due to how it brings a P&PRPG feeling, with the random missions and events along with the hacking sequences, without any overbearing technicalities that so many D&D games tend to have.

General Chaos was a blast, especially when playing as the Commandos. :)

I love the animations in General Chaos, the facial expressions they make when getting hit is hilarious.

I'd love to see an enhanced version be released on XBLA, it looks like Game Refuge Inc is still making games and EA published it.

[quote name='yukine']I love the animations in General Chaos, the facial expressions they make when getting hit is hilarious.

I'd love to see an enhanced version be released on XBLA, it looks like Game Refuge Inc is still making games and EA published it.[/QUOTE]

Loved the fistfights, where if you spammed the same type of attack or turtled, then the other fighter would just whip out a pistol and shoot you. It was hilarious every time I saw it.

But yeah, I would love to see a remake, or even a port to the Virtual Console, but it seems EA isn't too interested in dipping into their back catalog.

[quote name='jho']herzog zwei. Pretty unique at its time and lots of fun.[/QUOTE]

I tried that out before on someones recommendation, but didn't really understand how to play it. Mind enlightening me?

Here's my recommendations(most of which were mentioned in the other thread someone mentioned):

Cyborg Justice(basically, a cyborg/robot fighting game, where a match could last all damn night, especially if you keep stealing the other cyborgs arm(s) and they somehow keep stealing them back)

Cool Spot(fun platformer with the 7*Up 'mascot' from back in the day)

Vectorman(very fun game with some of the best graphics on the Genny or so I thought anyway)

Xmen(fun fun game, especially with 2 players)

I have sum personal favorites, but for now I'll jus post this...

taken from here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39310

Platformer:
BEST: Sonic 1-3, Sonic & Knuckles, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Rocket Knight Adventures, Dynamite Headdy, Ristar, Cool Spot,Spot Goes to Hollywood, Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion, Disney's Aladdin, Kid Chameleon, The Flintstones
GOOD: Gods, Flicky, Puggsy, Sparkster, Quackshot starring Donald Duck, Pocahontas, Gargoyles, Sylvester and Tweety in Cagey Capers, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure, Ghostbusters, Toy Story, High Seas Havoc, Toki: Going Ape Spit, Chakan, Wardner, Aero the Acrobat 1-2, Bubsy, Batman, Wiz 'n Liz, Desert Demolition, Chiki Chiki Boys, Mickey Mania, Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel, Boogerman, Animaniacs, Chuck Rock 1-2, Dashin' Desperadoes,
Worth Trying: Marvel Land, The Legend of Galahad, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, Garfield: Caught in the Act, Joe & Mac, James Pond 3: Operation Starfish, Lawnmower Man, Sonic 3D Blast, Pinocchio, Pink Goes to Hollywood, Socket, Spider-Man, Rolo to the Rescue, Ren & Stimpy: Stimpy's Invention, McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure, Global Gladiators, Izzy's Quest for the Olympic Rings, Stargate, The Lion King, Marsupilami, The Jungle Book, Tin Head, Bubble and Squeak, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, Ariel Disney's the Little Mermiad, The Great Circus Mystery, Mickey's Ultimate Challenge, Zool, Bonkers, Decap Attack,
Not for Everybody: Earnest Evans, Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude!, Fatal Rewind, Balloon Boy, James Pond: Underwater Agent, James Pond 2: Codename Robocod, Shadow of the Beast, Shadow of the Beast II, Stormlord, Marko, Goofy's Hysterical History Tour, Normy's Beach Babe-O-Rama, Bubsy II, Addams Family, Fantasia, Asterix and the Great Rescue, Bugs Bunny in Double Trouble, Tom and Jerry: Frantic Antics!, Berenstein Bears: Camping Adventure, Chester Cheetah 1-2, Radical Rex, Batman Returns, Simpsons: Virtual Bart,
AVOID: Gadget Twins, Spider-Man: The Animated Series, Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge, The Pagemaster, TaleSpin, Wayne's World, Back to the Future part 3, 3 Ninjas Kick Back, Rocky & Bullwinkle and Friends, Mighty Max, Awesome Possum, Barney's Hide and Seek, Crystal's Pony Tale, Dark Castle, Simpsons: Bart vs. the Space Mutants, Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare, Simpsons: The Itchy & Scratchy Game,

Action:
BEST: Shinobi III, Revenge of Shinobi, Earthworm Jim, Earthworm Jim 2, Toejam and Earl, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Castlevania: Bloodlines
GOOD: Ecco the Dolphin, Ecco: The Tides of Time, Strider, Shadow Dancer, Exo-Squad, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, Alisia Dragoon, Toejam and Earl 2, Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Casatle, B.O.B., Rolling Thunder 2, Rolling Thunder 3
Worth Trying: Splatterhouse 2, Splatterhouse 3, Ecco Jr., Jewel Master, El Viento, Valis, Valis III, Syd of Valis, Saint Sword, Phantom 2040, Shadow Blasters, Addams Family Values, Alien 3, X-Men 2, Bonanza Brothers, X-Perts, Wolfchild, Rastan Saga II, Pirates of Darkwater, Incredible Hulk,
Not for Everybody: Mystic Defender, Strider Returns: Journey from Darkness, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, James Bond 007: The Duel, Onslaught, Hook, Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition, Superman, Todd's Adventures in Slime World, Trampoline Terror, Taz in Escape from Mars, Taz-Mania, X-Men, Wolverine: Adamantium Rage, Ex-Mutants, Beauty and the Beast: Belle's Quest, Beauty and the Beast: Roar of the Beast, Whac-a-Critter, Blaster Master 2, Risky Woods, Blades of Vengeance, Dick Tracy, Young Indiana Jones: Instruments of Chaos,
AVOID: Sword of Sodan, The Ooze, Batman Forever, Incredible Crash Dummies, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Toxic Crusaders, Batman: Revenge of the Joker, Toys, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, No Escape, Warlock, Home Alone, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York,

Run&Gun
BEST: Gunstar Heroes, Contra: Hard Corps, Vectorman, Vectorman 2
GOOD:Midnight Resistance, Dinosaurs for Hire, Mercs, Rambo III, The Lost World: Jurassic Park II, Mega Turrican, Robocop Vs. Terminator, Target Earth, Skeleton Krew, Soldiers of Fortune,
Worth Trying: ESWAT: Cyber Police - City Under Siege, Terminator, Calibur 50, Crack Down, Demolition Man, Judge Dredd, Universal Soldier, Turrican, True Lies,
Not for Everybody: Doom Troopers, Robocop 3, Predator 2, It Came from the Desert,

Adventure:
BEST: Beyond Oasis, Landstalker, Light Crusader, Out of this World, Flashback: The Quest for Identity, Starflight, Wonder Boy in Monster World,
GOOD: The Haunting starring Polterguy, Exile, Crusader of Centy, Generations Lost, Cadash, The Immortal, Scooby-Doo Mystery,
Worth Trying: Fantastic Dizzy, Cosmic Spacehead, Faery Tale Adventure, The Prince of Persia,
Not for Everybody: Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures,
AVOID: Spiritual Warfare

Traditional Shooter:
BEST: Thunder Force III, Lightening Force, M.U.S.H.A., Bio-Hazard Battle, Vapor Trail, Ranger X
GOOD: Sagaia, Raiden Trad, Fire Shark, Air Buster, Wings of Wor, Truxton, Thunder Force II, Gaiares, Grind Stormer, Steel Empire, Sol-Deace, Granada
Worth Trying: Arrow Flash, Whip Rush, Trouble Shooter, Space Invaders '91, Phelios,
Not for Everybody: Hellfire, Battle Squadron, Crossfire, Twin Cobra, Task Force Harrier, Insector X,
AVOID: Earth Defense

Non-Traditional Shooter:
BEST: Arcus Odyssey, The Adventures of Batman and Robin, Elemental Master, Burning Force,
GOOD: G-Loc: Air Battle, Red Zone, Road Blasters, Galaxy Force II, EA's Strke Series(Urban, Jungle, Desert), Space Harrier II, Viewpoint, Technocop, Super Smash TV,
Worth Trying: After Burner 2, Dynamite Duke, Lethal Enforcers, Lethal Enforcers II: Gunfighters, Terminator 2: The Arcade Game, Atomic Robo Kid, Outlander, Battle Frenzy, Battletech, Final Zone, Super Thunder Blade,
Not for Everybody: Forgotten Worlds, Cyber-Cop, Menacer 6-Game Cartridge, Death Duel, Zero Tolerance, Sub Terrania, SeaQuest,
AVOID: Atomic Runner, Funny World, WarpSpeed, Super Battletank: War in the Gulf, Revolution X featuring Aerosmith,

Beat-em-up:
BEST: Streets of Rage 2, Comix Zone, TMNT: The Hyper Stone Heist,
GOOD: Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 3, Golden Axe II, Sunset Riders, Double Dragon, Battletoads, Battletoads/ Double Dragon, Death and Return of Superman,
Worth Trying: Golden Axe, Mazin Saga Mutant Fighter V., Punisher, Mystical Fighter, Captain America and the Avengers, Alien Storm, Two Crude Dudes, Spider-Man/Venom: Maximum Carnage, Spider-Man/Venom: Separation Anxiety,
Not for Everybody: Double Dragon 3, Altered Beast, Cutthroat Island, DJ Boy, The Tick, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie,
AVOID: Cliffhanger, Cyborg Justice, Last Battle, Thunderfox, Last Action Hero, Growl,

Fighting:
BEST: Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition, Super Street Fighter II, Virtua Fighter 2
GOOD: Eternal Champions, Mortal Kombat 2, Mortal Kombat 3, Ultimate MK3, Justice League Task Force, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, Fatal Fury 2, World Heroes, TMNT: Tournament Fighters,
Worth Trying: Mortal Kombat, Primal Rage, Clayfighter, Ballz 3-D, WeaponLord,
Not for Everybody: Heavy Nova, Art of Fighting, King of the Monsters, King of the Monsters 2, Deadly Moves, Double Dragon V, VR Troopers,
AVOID: Street Smart, Ka-ge-ki: Fists of Steel, Fighting Masters, Slaughtersport, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Beast Wrestler, Brutal: Paws of Fury, Time Killers, Rise of the Robots, Budokan: The Martial Spirit, Pit-Fighter

RPG
BEST: Shadowrun, Phantasy Star 2, Phantasy Star 4
GOOD: Shining in the Darkness, Y's III: Wanderers From Y's, Sword of Vermilion,
Worth Trying: Phantasy Star 3, Traysia, Might and Magic: Gates to Another World, Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun
Not for Everybody: Techno Clash, Sorcerer's Kingdom, Rings of Power, Fatal Labyrinth
AVOID: Super Hydlide,

Strategy:
BEST: Herzog Zwei, WarSong, Shining Force 1-2, Dune: The Battle for Arrakis, Buck Rogers, Pirates! Gold, General Chaos
GOOD: Gain Ground, Master of Monsters, Star Control, Populous, Aerobiz, Aerobiz Supersonic, Nobunaga's Ambition, PTO: Pacific Theater of Operations, Operation Europe: Path to Victory 1939-45, Warrior of Rome, Rampart, Warrior of Rome II, Uncharted Waters: New Horizons, Genghis Khan 2: Clan of the Gray Wolf, Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, Romance of the Three Kingdoms III
Worth Trying: Liberty or Death, 688 Attack Sub, Uncharted Waters, Tyrants: Fight Through Time, Power Monger,
Not for Everybody: Centurion: Defender of Rome, Theme Park, Syndicate, Gemfire, Risk, King's Bounty: The Conqueror's Quest
AVOID: M1 Abrams Battle Tank, Super Battleship,

Flight Sim:
BEST: Air Diver
GOOD: MiG-29 Fighter Pilot, F-117 Night Storm
Worth Trying: Steel Talons, LHX Attack Chopper, F-15 Strike Eagle II,
Not for Everybody: Gunship, F-22 Interceptor,

Arcade:
BEST: Pac-Mania, Paperboy, Paperboy 2, Ms. Pac-Man, Marble Madness, Gauntlet IV, Frogger, Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits(Contains faitful conversions of Joust, Robotron 2084, Sinistar, Defender, and Defender 2 - Stargate.)
AVOID: Arcade Classics(Bad conversions of Centipede, Pong, and Missile Command),

Puzzle:
BEST: Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Lemmings 1-2, The Lost Vikings, Mega Bomberman
GOOD: Bubba 'n' Stix, Columns, Columns III, Klax, Zoop, Shove It! The Warehouse Game, Ultimate Qix,
Worth Trying: Block-Out, Humans, Zoom!, Krusty's Fun House, Pac-Attack,
Not for Everybody: Ishido: The Way of the Stones, Junction, Shanghai II, Exodus, Joshua and the Battle of Jericho,
AVOID: Art Alive!, Great Waldo Search,

Pinball/Break-Out
BEST: Dragon's Fury, Dragon's Revenge, Sonic Spinball
GOOD: Crueball, Virtual Pinball
Worth Trying: Dino Land,
Not for Everybody: Devilish

Driving
BEST: Virtua Racing, Outrunners, Super Hang-On, Road Rash 1-3, Micro Machines, Rock 'n Roll Racing
GOOD: Out Run, Out Run 2019, Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge, F1 World Championship Edition, '94, '95, Kawasaki Superbike Challenge, Championship Pro-Am, Chase HQ II, Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing, Newman Haas IndyCar featuring Nigel Mansell, Top Gear 2, Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco Grand Prix 2,
Worth Trying: Combat Cars, Super Off Road, Super Monaco GP, Hard Drivin', Race Drivin', Quad Challenge, Mario Andretti Racing, Lotus Turbo Challenge, Lotus II,
Not for Everybody: Bimini Run, Test Drive II: The Duel,
AVOID: ESPN Speedworld,

Sports:

Baseball

BEST: World Series Baseball(WSB, 95-96,98)
GOOD: ESPN Baseball Tonight, RBI Baseball series, Triple Play '96, Triple Play Gold, Tony LaRussa '95
Worth Trying: MLBPA Baseball, 2020 Super Baseball, Tony LaRussa Baseball, Hardball Series(Hardball, Harball 3, 94, 95), Sports Talk Baseball, Tecmo Super Baseball,
Not for Everybody: Cal Ripken Jr. Baseball, Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball, Tommy LaSorda Baseball
AVOID: Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball

Football
BEST: NFL '94 starring Joe Montana, Madden '97, Mutant League Football, College Football National Championship, Tecmo Super Bowl Series(1-3)
GOOD: Madden 94-96, College Football National Championship 2, EA College Football series:(Bill Walsh 1-2, College Footabll 96,97), Prime Time NFL Football, NFL 98
Worth Trying: Joe Montana II Sports Talk Football, Sports Talk Football '93 starring Joe Montana, Madden '98, Madden 91-93, Madden '93:CE, NCAA Football, NFL Quarterback Club, NFL Quarterback Club '96, NCAA Football
Not for Everybody: Cyberball, Joe Montana Football, NFL '95 starring Joe Montana, Jerry Glanville's Pigskin Footbrawl, Super High Impact,
AVOID: ESPN Sunday Night Football, Mike Ditka Power Football, Pro Quarterback, Unnecessary Roughness '95, Troy Aikman NFL Football,

Basketball
BEST: The NBA Jam Series(NBA Jam, NBA Jam: TE, College Slam), NBA Live series('95-'98), Coach K. College Baseketball,
GOOD: EA Playoffs Series(Lakers VS Celtics, Bulls VS Lakers, Team USA Basketball, Bulls VS Blazers, NBA Showdown '94), Double Dribble: The Playoff Edition, NBA Hang Time,
Worth Trying: Arch Rivals, Jammit!, Tecmo Super NBA Basketball, NBA Action '94, NCAA Final Four Basketball
Not for Everybody: Jordan vs. Bird, Barkley Shut Up and Jam! 1-2, David Robinson's Supreme Court, Pat Riley Basketball, NBA Action '96
AVOID: Dick Vitale's "Awesome Baby" College Hoops, NBA All-Star Challenge, NBA Action '95 starring David Robinson

Hockey
BEST: NHL '94, Mutant League Hockey
GOOD: NHLPA Hockey '93, Hit the Ice, ESPN National Hockey Night,
Worth Trying: Brett Hull Hockey '95, NHL '96-98, NHL Hockey,
Not for Everybody: NHL '95, NHL All-Star Hockey '95,
AVOID: Wayne Gretzky and the NHLPA All-Stars, Mario Lemieux Hockey

Soccer
BEST: FIFA '97 Gold
GOOD: EA's FIFA series(Fifa International, 94-96, 98), Head-On Soccer, World Trophy Soccer
Worth Trying: Pro Moves Soccer,
Not for Everybody: Champions World Class Soccer, Tecmo World Cup, Pele II: World Tournament Soccer, Pele!
AVOID: World Championship Soccer, World Cup USA '94

Golf
BEST: World Class Leaderboard, Pebble Beach Golf Links
GOOD: Zany Golf, PGA Tour '96
Worth Trying: Chi Chi's Pro Challenge Golf, PGA Tour Golf 1-3, PGA European Tour,
Not for Everybody: Jack Nicklaus Power Challenge Golf
AVOID: Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf

Tennis
BEST: IMG International Tour Tennis, Jennifer Capriati Tennis
GOOD: ATP Tour Championship Tennis, Wimbledon Championship Tennis
Worth Trying: Davis Cup Tennis
Not for Everybody: Andre Agassi Tennis, Pete Sampras Tennis
AVOID: David Crane's Amazing Tennis,

Boxing
BEST: Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing, Greatest Heavyweights of the Ring
GOOD: Boxing: Legends of the Ring, Chavez II
Worth Trying: Foreman for Real, Muhammed Ali Heavyweight Boxing
Not for Everybody: Best of the Best, Toughman Contest,
AVOID: Buster Douglas' Knockout Boxing

Wrestling
BEST: Saturday Night Slam Masters
GOOD: WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game
Worth Trying: WWF Raw, WWF Royal Rumble
AVOID: WWF Super WrestleMania

Olympics/Various
BEST: Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars
GOOD: Aquatic Games starring James Pond, Olympic Gold: Barcelona '92, Olympic Summer Games: Atlanta '96, Olympic Winter Games: Lillehammer '94
Worth Trying: American Gladiators, Winter Challenge, Summer Challenge,
Not for Everybody: California Games

Fishing
BEST: TNN, TNN '96
Good: Bass Masters, Bass Masters Pro
AVOID: King Salmon

Pool:
Side Pocket - BEST
Minnesota Fats Pool Legend - BEST
Championship Pool - Good - this one is different than the first two, and much more realistic(Sim-like)

Other Sports:
Rugby World Cup '95 - BEST
Skitchin'- BEST
Speedball 2 - Brutal Deluxe - GOOD
Powerball - Not for Everybody
Championship Bowling - The only bowling game for Genesis. It's Good.
Super Volleyball - As far as I know, the only volleyball game on the Genesis. It's good, but not spectacular.

Edutainment/GameShow - NO RANKING - These games accomplish what they set out to do: Art Alive!, Barbie Super Model, Barbie Vacation Adventure, Bible Adventures, Caesar's Palace, Family Feud, Jeopardy!, Jeopardy! Deluxe, Jeopardy! Sports, Clue, Monopol, Super Battleship, Wheel of Fortune, Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego, Where in Time is Carmen SanDiego, Wacky Worlds Creativity Studio, Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends, Sesame Street Counting Cafe, Scholastic's The Magic School Bus, Richard Scarry's Busytown, Miracle Piano Teaching System, Math Blaster Episode 1, Fun 'N Games

[quote name='blackjaw']Beyond Oasis...great "zelda-like" action-RPG.[/QUOTE]

DING ! DING! DING! DING!

One of the great unappreciated games on the Genesis. Likewise for its sequel on the Saturn.

One of the gems on the Wii Virtual Console that almost makes up for the crime against nature that the version of Sonic they offer is from the Master System.

That's an awesome list Jekki. I'd bump Weaponlord up a bit in the fighting game category. The controls are a little weird but it had an awesome atmosphere and great characters.

I really wish some of those strategy titles would show up on the VC.

[quote name='epobirs']DING ! DING! DING! DING!

One of the great unappreciated games on the Genesis. Likewise for its sequel on the Saturn.

One of the gems on the Wii Virtual Console that almost makes up for the crime against nature that the version of Sonic they offer is from the Master System.[/QUOTE]

Yep, its in my top 20 games of all time...I had that much fun with it back in the day. I own an original cart and the VC version..haha.

That list Jekki posted covers pretty much everything, some personal favs are:

James Pond/ (2)Robocod/ (3)Operation Starfish
Wiz and Liz
Streets of Rage 2
Turtles: Hyperstone Heist
Championship Pro-Am
Splatterhouse 3
Thunder Force 4

This has been mentioned already, but I liked the Cyborg Justice, Sonic 1/2/3/&Knuckles, Vectorman 1/2, Raiden Trad, General Chaos, Gaires, Galaxy Force II, Thunder Force 2, Streets of Rage 1/2/3, 6-pak, and X-men 2 Clone Wars!

I own William's Arcade Greatest Hits and Arcade Classics. Arcade Classics isn't that bad.

Some of my favorites:

Streets of Rage 2 / Bare Knuckle 2 (Genesis / Mega Drive)
Contra Hard Corps (Genesis / Mega Drive)
Vectorman 1 and 2 (Genesis / Mega Drive)
Road Rash 3 (Genesis / Mega Drive)

I guess everything has been mentioned, but if I'm throwing my two cents in, my favorites from the system are..

contra hard corps
gunstar heroes
nhl series
streets of rage 2 (though 1 and 2 are fine games)
golden axe
sonic 1,2,3,knuckles
phantasy star 4 (2 is way overrated)
super street fighter 2
rocket knight adventures
sunset riders
flashback
robocop vs. terminator

Also, comix zone is way way overrated and definitely shouldn't be in the "best" category. It loses points right away for being a beat-em-up that isn't co-op. It has a really unique premise and was a great idea for the time with great graphics, but the execution just wasn't there. The largest problem was the ridiculous difficulty spike that makes it crazy hard to get much farther than the second level. Maybe I'm just scarred cause I was looking forward to it a lot as a kid and disappointed. I guess I would have moved it down to the "great or good" slot

Phantasy start 2 - Awesome for its time but just doesn't hold up with way-too-frequent random combat, a ton of grinding and level design that makes wandering around for hours inevitable.

Chakan is also way way too hard with a ton of places to fall to death, powers that are unexplained, no password/save. Also would be good, not great.

X-men 2 is a really great game with awesome graphics, great co-op play and good gameplay. I defintely would have rated this one higher than "good" and possibly up to the best slot

Sonic 1, 2 and 3, of course.
Road Rash I and II (never played three)
Streets of Rage and Streets of Rage 3 (never played two... SoR 3 is good, but I don't think it's really worth spending $30-ish on)
Populous (played the SNES version, can't imagine the Sega differs much. Fun cheap puzzle game).

My contributions

Golden Axe
Streets of Rage
Comix Zone
Eternal Champions
Mortal Kombat 1
NBA Live(first one forgot the year)
Joe Montana Football

these are a few of the greats I will remember some more later

[quote name='epobirs']DING ! DING! DING! DING!

One of the gems on the Wii Virtual Console that almost makes up for the crime against nature that the version of Sonic they offer is from the Master System.[/quote]

I concur!

Disney's Aladdin is fantastic. Much better than the SNES version that came out around the same time (they were both platformers, but different games).

Aladdin
Castle of Illusion
Quackshot
Street Fighter II Championship
Gunstar Heroes
Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Knuckles
Contra Hard Corps
Castlevania Bloodlines
Rocket Knight Adventures
LANDSTALKER!!!!!!
Beyond Oasis
Phantasy Star II, III, IV
Shining Force II
Earthworm Jim
Cool Spot
Revenge of Shinobi
Shadow Dancer
Shinobi III
Streets of Rage 2
Comix Zone
Mutant League Football

everybody is gonna say the obvious so i'm gonna throw some oddballs in here:

blaster master
mega bomberman
shinobi
lightening force
primal rage (32X)
eternal champions
knuckles chaotix (32X)
nba jam t.e.
vectorman

I used to love Rocket Knight Adventure, it was so hard though when I was a kid, I'd always die at the lava level. I'd love to get a copy of it and try to replay it now that I'm older.

[quote name='ninjaspeedrazor']I used to love Rocket Knight Adventure, it was so hard though when I was a kid, I'd always die at the lava level. I'd love to get a copy of it and try to replay it now that I'm older.[/QUOTE]

I replayed it a few years ago. It's still pretty difficult, but I beat it, which I wasn't able to do when I was younger.

Here's some of my favorites, apart from a ton of other great games already mentioned:

Biohazzard Battle
Decap Attack
Jurassic Park/JP: Rampage Edition
Mutant League Football/Hockey
Toejam & Earl 1 & 2

bread's done
Back