Gold N64 deal?

JTHuffy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
The Salvation Army store near me had a gold n64 for 19.99. I waited and got lucky as it was still there when it hit 75% off, so I basically got it for 5 bucks. I was marked as-is, and had no controllers or no a/v cables, but it did have the power brick. I figured I'd take a flyer on it for 5 bucks. I already have an n64, and actually had a spare set of a/v cables, but when I hooked it up, it didn't work. Sad. Anyways, I think the gold n64 is rare (does anyone know the backstory of the gold n64?), and I have a gold controller that I picked up somewhere along the way even. I think I'm gonna take it apart and poke around inside to see if maybe cleaning out the insides would help, or maybe try to swap out the gold casing with my regular black one.

Worth the flyer or should I have not wasted my time?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you actually found a fairly rare item, but since it's not in working condition...then it might be worth a little less. According to Wikipedia the gold N64 controllers came in special edition system packages worldwide, give aways, etc. The gold console is never really mentioned which is kind of weird, but according to eBay they're fetching anywhere between $55 and $129. On Amazon, they are fetching $45 and above. So, if you only paid $5 out of pocket, then you got a great deal. Again, because it doesn't work it might be worth a lot less as a broken system or game doesn't do anybody any good in the end.

Physically it appears to be in great condition, so hopefully I'll just need to clean out the insides or something. I have the tool thing to open up the system, so maybe I'll do that sometime this weekend, I'll just need to pick up a can of air or something

I actually have a Gold N64, too. It's my main one. I bought it at Toy's R Us late into the N64's life (I wanna say either 1999 or early 2000) It was some kind of special edition. IIRC the price was $100, so the N64 was basically on its way out.

[quote name='JTHuffy']Physically it appears to be in great condition, so hopefully I'll just need to clean out the insides or something. I have the tool thing to open up the system, so maybe I'll do that sometime this weekend, I'll just need to pick up a can of air or something[/quote]

I would just to see if you can get it to work. If you can kudos and if not, well it was only $5 lol.

Ok, the N64 is really easy to take apart people, I did it to paint a system. Simply take the insides from a black N64 and tranport them into the gold case and you have a working gold N64. Since black N64's are at least a dime a dozen here finding another to transplant the guts from shouldn't be a problem. A Gold N64 is a fairly rare item.

bread's done
Back