using Vista: format hfs+ hdd to fat32

homeland

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
I have a I/O 160 portable hdd http://www.amazon.com/I%2fO-Magic-160GB-Portable-I160HD25G2/dp/B00166G77W. I had formatted it to HTFS+ with a program called macdrive (so I could play larger files on my 360) and it worked fine.

I just tried reformatting it to NTFS (through windows) and it worked fine. Restarted my computer and now the drive isn't found. Connected the hdd to a xp pc and while it recognizes the usb connection (makes the noise, hdd is powered) the drive itself though doesn't show up in my computer. Is there anyway to get the hdd to be regonized or could I have fucked it up beyone repair?

Updated: Apparently it was stil hfs+. I reinstalled macdrive and the hdd was recognized immediately. So now the question is...

How do you format a hfs+ to fat32 or a windows recognized format using vista? Formatting with windows program still doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem with enclosure electronics. Try mounting it directly into your PC.

Did you try just reformatting it?

Drive going bad? Test it with MHDD32 available on the Ultimate Boot CD (www.ultimatebootcd.com)

ya I just tried reformatting it. Wierd thing did happen though. It got to the end of the format process (through windows) and than it said "could not complete format" but it had changed from being a mac drive to NTFS and it worked fine, ie drive was recognized and could transfer files to it. Going to try the ultimate boot cd now. Thanks for the link.

Maybe try zeroing the drive first with something like active@killdisk which is on the Ultimate Boot CD and then partition/format under vista

[quote name='seen']Try using swissknife, and formatting to fat32, then ntfs if FAT32 is no good for you.[/quote]

Do this, it will probably work. Swissknife is better at this than windows.

bread's done
Back