Comcast to buy NBC (Annoucement this Thursday)

Demolition Man

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Just broke on Engadget a bit ago....

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/01/comcast-deal-to-buy-nbc-is-done-will-be-announced-thursday/

[quote name='Engadget']We told you we had a feeling this thing was happening -- less than a day after GE consolidated ownership of NBC Universal in preparation to spin it off and sell a controlling stake to Comcast, CNBC is reporting that the deal is actually done and will be announced Thursday morning. As rumored from the start, Comcast will now own 51 percent of NBC to GE's 49 percent, and the new company will fold in Comcast's various content assets, which means the new NBC will rival Disney in size. That's a big enchilada, and it should make the future of Comcast intiatives like TV Everywhere extremely interesting. Of course, all this still has to go through the FCC and FTC, and we wouldn't expect anything to be approved and finalized for a year, but none of that takes away from the magnitude of this deal. We'll obviously know more in a couple days, stay tuned.[/quote]

Seriously I want to vomit at this thought. Discuss.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']NBC sucks now anyway. Comcast can have it.[/QUOTE]

You do realize that NBC also owns USA, SyFy, Bravo, CNBC, and MSNBC right? You also know what Comcast did recently with Versus to DirecTV customers right... as in they forced the price for DirecTV to carry the channel so high that DirecTV dropped it. So imagine what Comcast can do now with all these networks that believe it or not have programs on it that people do watch. They can really screw not just the competition but also tie the (legal) online streaming of said content to themselves.

Hence the only winner in this is Comcast. Which is why big company buy outs like this are never good for us.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']NBC sucks now anyway. Comcast can have it.[/QUOTE]

They don't want it for the network.

Although, Leno's ass is about to be on the sidewalk.

[quote name='DestroVega']Although, Leno's ass is about to be on the sidewalk.[/QUOTE]

Naw... I'm thinking they'll just put him back to his old 11:35 PM EST time slot where he'll get the same ratings more or less without it blocking up that valuable 10 PM EST time slot that NBC can use for real shows.

Comcast wants NBC/Universal's cable networks.

They want them to have ammunition in their neverending battle against satellite TV so they can feed subscribers substandard HD feeds.

Oh shit, and neither the FTC or FCC will do anything about it. I wonder if this is going to affect Hulu too since Comcast already has Fancast.

[quote name='SpazX']Oh shit, and neither the FTC or FCC will do anything about it. I wonder if this is going to affect Hulu too since Comcast already has Fancast.[/QUOTE]

Expect all NBC shows to be now exclusive on Fancast very soon.

[quote name='Demolition Man']You do realize that NBC also owns USA, SyFy, Bravo, CNBC, and MSNBC right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah...and they still suck. TV as a whole sucks now, regardless of the network or parent company.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Expect all NBC shows to be now exclusive on Fancast very soon.[/QUOTE]

And try to enjoy that on your 250GB/month data cap!

[quote name='manthing']And try to enjoy that on your 250GB/month data cap![/QUOTE]

If the compression on the video is done right your average 20-25 some minute show at 480p should be no less than 200-300mb tops to watch. So that 250GB cap shouldn't be much of a issue unless if you watch a gazillion hours of streaming content a month.

[quote name='Demolition Man']If the compression on the video is done right your average 20-25 some minute show at 480p should be no less than 200-300mb tops to watch. So that 250GB cap shouldn't be much of a issue unless if you watch a gazillion hours of streaming content a month.[/QUOTE]

Way to ignore downloading things, XBL/PSN, Netflix, etc, etc...

[quote name='manthing']Way to ignore downloading things, XBL/PSN, Netflix, etc, etc...[/QUOTE]

Dunno why I was just thinking about the bandwidth useage of Hulu-esque streaming sites. My bad.

[quote name='Demolition Man']If the compression on the video is done right your average 20-25 some minute show at 480p should be no less than 200-300mb tops to watch. So that 250GB cap shouldn't be much of a issue unless if you watch a gazillion hours of streaming content a month.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you enjoy getting raped in the ass. Also, apparently you never looked at what the rest of the world gets vs the US.

Enjoy your raping...

[quote name='VipFREAK']Sounds like you enjoy getting raped in the ass. Also, apparently you never looked at what the rest of the world gets vs the US.

Enjoy your raping...[/QUOTE]

Mind explaining this? Or am I to just guess at what you mean.

Here's why bandwidth caps don't work. You bought the Lucasarts and THQ packs on Steam yesterday, and you want to download and install all of them. You just fucked yourself for the month. fucked in the ass. Hard. Your ass is bleeding.

I only bought Ghostbusters on Steam over the weekend, and that alone knocked off a major part of the 250GB limit if I was a Comcast customer. 10.5GB of legitimate usage in a single day. Good thing I've got no cap because this digital distribution stuff would cost me zillions of dollars.

What does the above tell you? Comcast wants to shut down digital distribution of some kind. Probably Hulu-esque stuff, but they're going to bring down the whole house because they don't care about the collateral damage.

Metered internet billing went out the window when we moved to "always on" connections. Hourly usage on dial-up made sense. It didn't make sense for broadband, so that concept didn't translate.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Good thing I've got no cap[/QUOTE]

If you're a verizon customer, you better start looking forward to it. :cry:

So umm, what about those of use who don't have Comcast available in our area, but have Cablevision? How will this effect us?

Worst case scenario for me is I miss CNBC during the day but both Fox and Bloomberg are worthwhile competitors. Other than that, I wouldn't miss anything that is shown on an NBC network.

I don't know; I wouldn't say the sky is falling quite yet. I doubt they'll gut out hulu, unless they're allergic to money. The net neutrality thing is another worry, but the onus is on our president/government to support net neutrality.

For those worried about Fancast vs Hulu, Fancast pretty much is Hulu. Half of Fancast's content is literally from them. Moreover, NBC owns a large stake in Hulu, so Comcast will have a piece of them both.

Granted, that might be worse since a lot of Internet denizens consider Hulu an alternative to cable (even if Hulu doesn't), so Comcast would own the new competition. But I think a divergence of NBC shows and Hulu is the last thing we should worry about.

bread's done
Back