a few Q's from a soon to be ps3 owner

LaraCroftsLeftBoob

CAGiversary!
Feedback
55 (100%)
so the wife's getting me a ps3 for christmas. i'm gonna try to see if any of my local walmarts have Bf bundles left over or order the bundle from sony. i need to know what cables/accesories i should be planning on buying. so...q

does the 120 gig slim have a hdmi port?
i know it has built in wifi, but does it have an ethernet port too, or do i need some adapter for it?
the controller, does it have built in rechargable battery or aa/battery pack like xbox360 controllers?
if it is a built in battery does it come with the cable to charge it? i ask because saw charging cables in the accessory aisle at walmart.

thanks for the help.

Question 1- Yes
Question 2- Yes, you dont need an adapter
Question 3- The controller has a built in battery, and it uses a standard mini-usb to usb to charge, it should come with one in the box with the ps3.

[quote name='jdioutkast']Question 1- Yes
Question 2- Yes, you dont need an adapter
Question 3- The controller has a built in battery, and it uses a standard mini-usb to usb to charge, it should come with one in the box with the ps3.[/QUOTE]

built in wifi and a charge cable/battery included? My 360 costs another $100 to do that lol. I didn't buy wifi though.

Besides the fact all my friends are on 360, there's really no reason NOT to go with a PS3 at this point...

The controller charging cord that comes with the system is very short, and doesn't work too well for charge and play. Luckily, I picked up a HDMI/Controller cable combo pack at Microcenter for $15.

Is there a way to charge the controller when the system is off? With the 360, if you're charging while playing, and you turn off the system, it still sends power to the controller until it's charged, then it shuts down.

[quote name='nuttyturnip']The controller charging cord that comes with the system is very short, and doesn't work too well for charge and play. Luckily, I picked up a HDMI/Controller cable combo pack at Microcenter for $15.

Is there a way to charge the controller when the system is off? With the 360, if you're charging while playing, and you turn off the system, it still sends power to the controller until it's charged, then it shuts down.[/QUOTE]

The cord they include is like 6 feet, isn't it? That may or may not be enough for you. And you'll need to pick up a HDMI cable (or component but HDMI is preferable if your TV supports it) as Sony only includes composite cables.

[quote name='nuttyturnip']The controller charging cord that comes with the system is very short, and doesn't work too well for charge and play. Luckily, I picked up a HDMI/Controller cable combo pack at Microcenter for $15.

Is there a way to charge the controller when the system is off? With the 360, if you're charging while playing, and you turn off the system, it still sends power to the controller until it's charged, then it shuts down.[/QUOTE]

Once the PS3 is off, it stops charging the controller.

As for the charging cable not being long enough, it surely is for those of us sitting closer to our PS3's. I picked up 2-3 of the HDMI/USB packs from Kmart for $8 each on clearance and I picked up one of the Sony USB cord packs for $2, which came with 2 very long cables.

[quote name='nuttyturnip']Is there a way to charge the controller when the system is off? With the 360, if you're charging while playing, and you turn off the system, it still sends power to the controller until it's charged, then it shuts down.[/QUOTE]

You can also use your PC, or a USB-to-wall socket charger.

also, if you buy an extra controller, it does not come with another charging cable, which is lame as hell.

[quote name='Vinny']The cord they include is like 6 feet, isn't it? That may or may not be enough for you. And you'll need to pick up a HDMI cable (or component but HDMI is preferable if your TV supports it) as Sony only includes composite cables.[/QUOTE]
6 feet? Surely you jest!

Mine is about 2 and a half. *guessing*

[quote name='bendeco45']also, if you buy an extra controller, it does not come with another charging cable, which is lame as hell.[/QUOTE]

I have one of those Nyko dual charging wall to USB chargers which Sears cleared out for under a buck a while ago. So I'm good for a while if I get an extra controller.:D

And Captain Joel, the cable the system comes with is ALOT longer than 2 and a half feet.

[quote name='Unrealevil']You can also use your PC, or a USB-to-wall socket charger.[/QUOTE]

I second this. I have never used my PS3 to charge my controller. I just plug it into my PC when I'm not using it, OR if I need to play and charge, I sync up with the PS3, then I plug it into the USB port on my laptop that's near me.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I have one of those Nyko dual charging wall to USB chargers which Sears cleared out for under a buck a while ago. So I'm good for a while if I get an extra controller.:D

And Captain Joel, the cable the system comes with is ALOT longer than 2 and a half feet.[/QUOTE]
Same, got it on sale from Amazon for $10 last christmas, if you can find it B&M for a decent price I would recommend it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I have one of those Nyko dual charging wall to USB chargers which Sears cleared out for under a buck a while ago. So I'm good for a while if I get an extra controller.:D

And Captain Joel, the cable the system comes with is ALOT longer than 2 and a half feet.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I just measured. It's about 4 feet end to end and I'm mostly just disliking it because it doesn't reach my gaming chair.

Got the Sony USB/AC charger, really like it. Can't play games and charge at the same time tho.

If you find the Sony 10' USB cables (2) for $2, they're great. Fancy woven plastic around them. Regular USB cables work the same if you can't find a deal.

Monoprice.com sells HDMI and USB cables cheap.

so the controller doesn't charge while the ps3 is off? that sucks.

would any usb wall charger work? my wife has a one for her ipod that you can plug 2 usb devices in, i may use that, but i kinda worry about too much voltage/amperage/wattage/whatever and frying something, or it not getting enough and not charging.

Since you are planning to buy from Walmart anyway, I would advise you to buy one very soon since Walmart has 20% Bing cashback going on right now.

@leftBoob

I tried to charge the controller with my iPod touch AC adapter and it didn't work (Apple's 1st party adapter).

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Yeah, I just measured. It's about 4 feet end to end and I'm mostly just disliking it because it doesn't reach my gaming chair.[/QUOTE]

I sit on my computer chair, which is less than 3 feet from the PS3 and the PS3 itself is less than 3 feet from the tv, so 4 feet is just about right for me.

Although, I have the USB cables from that two pack from Kmart for $2, so if I want to have some slack in my USB cable I can always use one of those.:D

[quote name='CaptainJoel']6 feet? Surely you jest!

Mine is about 2 and a half. *guessing*[/QUOTE]

You're probably right... I've got a bunch of those USB cables and I probably just picked out a longer one at one time.

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']so the controller doesn't charge while the ps3 is off? that sucks.

would any usb wall charger work? my wife has a one for her ipod that you can plug 2 usb devices in, i may use that, but i kinda worry about too much voltage/amperage/wattage/whatever and frying something, or it not getting enough and not charging.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure those won't work. I tried one that came with my phone it wouldn't recognize. The only ways I've been able to charge my PS3 controller is to hook it up to the system or my computer. You might wanna get one of those stand alone chargers...

It might sound like a pain but in Sony's defense, no current gen console offers a reasonable method for controller batteries since you have to buy a charging kit for the 360 and Nintendo offers no official support for rechargeable batteries. You can get a standalone charger for about $20 which will recharge 2 controllers at once.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I sit on my computer chair, which is less than 3 feet from the PS3 and the PS3 itself is less than 3 feet from the tv, so 4 feet is just about right for me.

Although, I have the USB cables from that two pack from Kmart for $2, so if I want to have some slack in my USB cable I can always use one of those.:D[/QUOTE]
I didn't even think to get a different USB cable. I'll definitely pick one up next time I go out so I won't have to constantly check my controller's charge.

went to the walmart about 20 miles away and got the last batman/infamous/dark knight bundle they had.
too bad i gotta wait til christmas now...

[quote name='Vinny']
It might sound like a pain but in Sony's defense, no current gen console offers a reasonable method for controller batteries since you have to buy a charging kit for the 360 and Nintendo offers no official support for rechargeable batteries. You can get a standalone charger for about $20 which will recharge 2 controllers at once.[/QUOTE]

actually i think xbox is pretty reasonable...regular batteries or $17 for a battery pack and charge cable that can charge it while the console is off. and if the battery pack dies, you can just buy a new one for $12 instead of having to shell out $55 for a whole new controller.

anyone have any recommendations for charge stations for controllers? which are good, or which to avoid?

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']went to the walmart about 20 miles away and got the last batman/infamous/dark knight bundle they had.
too bad i gotta wait til christmas now...

actually i think xbox is pretty reasonable...regular batteries or $17 for a battery pack and charge cable that can charge it while the console is off. and if the battery pack dies, you can just buy a new one for $12 instead of having to shell out $55 for a whole new controller.

anyone have any recommendations for charge stations for controllers? which are good, or which to avoid?[/QUOTE]

If your ps3 controller battery dies, sony replaces it for free for life.

You can use any mini-usb to charge it. PC, PS3, wall adapter. I use my motorola phones wall charger which is miniusb and it works fine.

Ive never used the charge stations, but everyone tells me the Energizer one is great.

[quote name='blitz6speed']If your ps3 controller battery dies, sony replaces it for free for life.

You can use any mini-usb to charge it. PC, PS3, wall adapter. I use my motorola phones wall charger which is miniusb and it works fine.

Ive never used the charge stations, but everyone tells me the Energizer one is great.[/QUOTE]

Actually, if you read the info on their site, that's the one thing that is EXCLUDED under the warranty.

It says this on the 'warranty' info on the back of the package for new Sony Dual Shock 3's or at least it did when I bought mine after I got my fat PS3.

Here's a snippet from Sony's own warranty info page on their website, with the part in question highlighted.

Link: http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/Warranties/PS3#peripherals

THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY IF THIS PRODUCT (A) IS USED WITH PRODUCTS THAT ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THIS PRODUCT; (B) IS USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (INCLUDING RENTAL); (C) IS MODIFIED, OR TAMPERED WITH; (D) IS DAMAGED BY ACTS OF GOD, MISUSE, ABUSE, NEGLIGENCE, ACCIDENT, WEAR AND TEAR, UNREASONABLE USE, OR BY OTHER CAUSES UNRELATED TO DEFECTIVE MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP; (E) HAS HAD THE SERIAL NUMBER ALTERED, DEFACED OR REMOVED; OR (F) HAS HAD THE WARRANTY SEAL ON THE PS3™ SYSTEM ALTERED, DEFACED, OR REMOVED. THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER CONSUMABLES (SUCH AS BATTERIES) OR PRODUCTS SOLD "AS IS" OR WITH ALL FAULTS.

So sorry, but unless they've changed their policy and warranty exclusion(s) on the packaging for the DS 3's, batteries are up to YOU to replace once they go unless you wanna pay Sony to do it.

And according to their own site, it's only 90 days warranty on controllers/peripherals from date of purchase.

Thought I read somewhere that you can buy replacement DS3 batteries and change them yourself.

Anyone know anything about this?

Sorry to go off topic, but it's on topic of the PS3 n00b's. I just got my PS3 and don't really care for Infamous or Killzone 2 that came with the bundle -- I know those are popular titles, just not my cup of tea. Can anyone recommend any good two player (or more) games?

I got Buzz and R6V2 and I like those, and I'm a Wii gamer. I'd like to find another FPS only for the PS3 where you can play 4 players at once. We've just about used up any value of Red Steel on the Wii. I've got plenty of racing games on the Wii, so I don't want to load up on more for the PS3.

I've heard good recommendations for Army of Two, Timeshift, COD so far.

[quote name='converse']Sorry to go off topic, but it's on topic of the PS3 n00b's. I just got my PS3 and don't really care for Infamous or Killzone 2 that came with the bundle -- I know those are popular titles, just not my cup of tea. Can anyone recommend any good two player (or more) games?

I got Buzz and R6V2 and I like those, and I'm a Wii gamer. I'd like to find another FPS only for the PS3 where you can play 4 players at once. We've just about used up any value of Red Steel on the Wii. I've got plenty of racing games on the Wii, so I don't want to load up on more for the PS3.

I've heard good recommendations for Army of Two, Timeshift, COD so far.[/QUOTE]

Borderlands, it provides a lot of entertainment when you're co-oping.

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']so the controller doesn't charge while the ps3 is off? that sucks.

would any usb wall charger work? my wife has a one for her ipod that you can plug 2 usb devices in, i may use that, but i kinda worry about too much voltage/amperage/wattage/whatever and frying something, or it not getting enough and not charging.[/QUOTE]

All USB ports have the same power regulations, so you can charge it on anything with a USB port.

Also, you can buy replacement batteries on eBay for $5 and it takes about 10 minutes to change them. IMO, much better than $12 and 2 seconds to change them. I'll work 10 minutes to save $7. :p

This is the Energizer charger here. I use it and recommend it. Can also charge a PSP (dunno about go). Lights up red when charging and changes to green when done. Looks nice too.

[quote name='converse']Sorry to go off topic, but it's on topic of the PS3 n00b's. I just got my PS3 and don't really care for Infamous or Killzone 2 that came with the bundle -- I know those are popular titles, just not my cup of tea. Can anyone recommend any good two player (or more) games?

Resistance 1 has an excellent 4 player story coop mode

Grand Theft Auto IV. It has a pretty decent multiplayer community. There's modes to cover just about every taste. You have ones that require a good deal of communication and cooperation(Deal Breaker/Hangman's NOOSE/Bomb Da Base II) and those for people who just wanna screw around(Free Mode), add in some race types(usual races and "GTA" races, which include weapons) and the usual Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch modes and you have a hell of a variety of games.

Mind you, you may run into some really annoying people online(screaming into headsets, using racial epithets every other word), but those are the norm I suppose. Luckily, the multiplayer modes come with the ability to mute people you don't wanna hear.:D

bread's done
Back