Overclocking = lower temps? + 50%+ better performance.

Kenrik

CAGiversary!
Macbook Pro Dual Core 2.4ghz, 2 Gigs Ram, 8600m GT.

So I started messing around with Nividia systems tools in Windows XP and Wow.

8600M GT - Stock C 470/M 500/S 975 Operating temps 71 - 82C under load.

I could run Crysis 1440x900 with everything on Low except Effects... No shaders... and I got 25 - 30 FPS.

Company of Heroes 1440x900 everything on Max and 2X AA I was getting 12 - 37 FPS in the performance test. Average of 34 FPS

I bumped it up to Core 500/ Mem 700/ Shader 1200. Temps are running 70 - 80C under Load

Now Crysis runs at a smooth 32 - 40 FPS with everything on high and shaders on Med.

Company of Heroes now runs 20 - 60 FPS in the Performance Test same settings. Average of 51 FPS

WOW... the 8600M GT even though it's old can really kick some major ass when overclocked. (for a Mobile chip anyway)

Be VERY careful with overclocking laptop components. I'd double check to make sure you are getting the same/lower temps with the overclock, that doesn't seem right to be honest. I would have expected a 5-10C increase in temps.

Yes SynGamer is correct it should increase the heat a bit which can lead to damage to other components. So be careful.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']I bet the fans are ramping up to account for the clock speed. Try it in a silent room with the sound muted and see if the fan isn't maxed out.[/QUOTE]

You are right; usually fans in laptops are controlled by rise and fall of temperature. Fans spin faster if the laptop detects rise in temp in certain components.

To OP, my main concern would be you bumping up the memory clock by 40%, that is a dangerous overclock, and especially so in a laptop. I would lower it back to default because there is probably very little cooling on the memory chips.

It's GDDR3.. Supposed to be 625 stock but for some reason Apple had it bottlenecked.

Anyway.. yes the fans are running fast because I have them set to run max... but I did before the overclock so that can't account for the difference.

People have had this card at 670/960/1300... I think I'm being conservative.

bread's done
Back