Buy PC Splinter Cell Conviction on Steam ($60), get Splinter Cell 1 for free

Wow, they want you to pay an additional 5 dollars on top of the bloated $60 price for pure in game content that they shouldn't cut anyway?

Ubi I am disappoint.

Woo, doublestuffed DRM! A $10 game if I'm willing to spend $10 more than the industry standard! Where do I sign up?!

Yeah, this is super unimpressive when you consider that a normal PC game costs $50 and that Splinter Cell on Steam costs $10. In fact, I'm insulted this could even be called a deal. Piss off Ubi.

Given Steam's great deals in the past, I seriously would've expected them to give us the first four games free. This is pretty underwhelming.

[quote name='rapsodist']Given Steam's great deals in the past, I seriously would've expected them to give us the first four games free. This is pretty underwhelming.[/QUOTE]

It's not up to Steam, it's up to the publisher. Point your daggers at Ubi.

Thanks for the post OP. Now on to my rant...

Isn't Ubisoft cute? Trying to one-up Activision with a new PC game price structure of their very own. And who are they paying licensing fees to, I wonder. You know, the licensing fees that effectually bump console games up $10 over their PC counterparts.

Ubisoft...-1 for mistakenly believing that PC gamers are as stupid as you are and would be willing to pay more for less, -1 for your crapola DRM that you will never get right, -1 for $$$$$$y "Deluxe Edition" extra cost, and -62 for your stupid company name = 0 that I am willing to give you of my hard-earned money.
Think I'll do what I usually do with Splinter Cell games...wait a year and get it in the bargain bin for no more than $19.99

I began to wonder why this was even posted and realized it was 420. You'd have to be high to think this was a deal.

i'm fine with the games selling at 59.99 - if it keeps em devleoping PC games, the issue for me is the retarded DRM... of course, i barely pay 50.00 for anygame..

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Wow, they want you to pay an additional 5 dollars on top of the bloated $60 price for pure in game content that they shouldn't cut anyway?

Ubi I am disappoint.[/QUOTE]

to be disappointed you had to have some faith in them. Or expected better. Did you? ;)

I was actually looking forward to playing the game on my PC until they announced that it was using that piece of shit DRM. Lost sale Ubi.

[quote name='jp0213']I was actually looking forward to playing the game on my PC until they announced that it was using that piece of shit DRM. Lost sale Ubi.[/QUOTE]

^ This. I recently upgraded my PC and was planning on buying a few games and SC:C was one of them. The Ubi DRM was a deal breaker for me.

[quote name='aznguyen316']to be disappointed you had to have some faith in them. Or expected better. Did you? ;)[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. 2 years ago I would have said Ubi was in my top 10 for developers/publishers. They made good games and the prices fell reasonably quick. It seems as of late they've been doing a 180 and it really disappoints me.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Absolutely. 2 years ago I would have said Ubi was in my top 10 for developers/publishers. They made good games and the prices fell reasonably quick. It seems as of late they've been doing a 180 and it really disappoints me.[/QUOTE]

Well Ubisoft console games still drop their prices rather quickly. I'll only be buying Ubisoft games on the Xbox 360 because of the crap drm.

It's really too bad. I bought the pc version of the last PoP game because it didn't have any drm and I wanted to support that kind of effort from a major publisher. While I liked the game, many people didn't. So I think Ubisoft must have thought (or deluded themselves into thinking) that people didn't buy it because it didn't have drm and instead just pirated it. Not that they put out a mediocre game.

[quote name='mogamer']Well Ubisoft console games still drop their prices rather quickly. I'll only be buying Ubisoft games on the Xbox 360 because of the crap drm.

It's really too bad. I bought the pc version of the last PoP game because it didn't have any drm and I wanted to support that kind of effort from a major publisher. While I liked the game, many people didn't. So I think Ubisoft must have thought (or deluded themselves into thinking) that people didn't buy it because it didn't have drm and instead just pirated it. Not that they put out a mediocre game.[/QUOTE]

oh Prince of Persia 2008? the PC version that didn't get the Epilogue while console version has it right? Why even bother pirating that crapola version of a game with its ending got cut out and sold for $10 more (on console.. Epilogue was never released for PC). Look like they gave a middle finger to PC gamers on POP 2008 and the new DRM for Splinter Cell is the new middle finger

[quote name='agentghost']oh Prince of Persia 2008? the PC version that didn't get the Epilogue while console version has it right? Why even bother pirating that crapola version of a game with its ending got cut out and sold for $10 more (on console.. Epilogue was never released for PC). Look like they gave a middle finger to PC gamers on POP 2008 and the new DRM for Splinter Cell is the new middle finger[/QUOTE]

I still thought the game was alright, but you're right. Ubisoft has been giving us pc gamers a big fuck you for quite some time now. :cry:

[quote name='mogamer']It's really too bad. I bought the pc version of the last PoP game because it didn't have any drm and I wanted to support that kind of effort from a major publisher. While I liked the game, many people didn't. So I think Ubisoft must have thought (or deluded themselves into thinking) that people didn't buy it because it didn't have drm and instead just pirated it. Not that they put out a mediocre game.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I tend to think the experiment with PoP was so they could justify the archaic DRM they have now.

[quote name='jp0213']I was actually looking forward to playing the game on my PC until they announced that it was using that piece of shit DRM. Lost sale Ubi.[/QUOTE]

I have to wonder how Ubisoft is going to explain away their decrease in sales. Typically when sales dip in the gaming industry, pirating is the culprit. It's going to be hard for them to blame pirating while patting themselves on their backs for coming up with DRM that hasn't been cracked.

[quote name='Cantatus']I have to wonder how Ubisoft is going to explain away their decrease in sales. Typically when sales dip in the gaming industry, pirating is the culprit. It's going to be hard for them to blame pirating while patting themselves on their backs for coming up with DRM that hasn't been cracked.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. I'm even rethinking purchases of games that don't have that crap DRM just because I don't want to support Ubisoft. I really want Tom Clancy's Hawx on my PC but I don't want to support them at all anymore. Hawx may very well be the last Ubisoft game I ever buy on the PC.

So on consoles, game are $60 because of the licensing fee (which doesn't exist on PC), and yet Ubi/Activision are trying to bring the $60 price point to PC games now. I can't see it as anything more than a piracy tax. People are going to pirate our games, so might as well get more money out of the people who are buying our games. Really won't be shocked to see all devs adopt this over the next year or so.

[quote name='V878']So on consoles, game are $60 because of the licensing fee (which doesn't exist on PC), and yet Ubi/Activision are trying to bring the $60 price point to PC games now. I can't see it as anything more than a piracy tax. People are going to pirate our games, so might as well get more money out of the people who are buying our games. Really won't be shocked to see all devs adopt this over the next year or so.[/QUOTE]

What's weird is that it's not all Ubi games. Settlers 7 is $50, Silent Hunter 5 is $50.

They justified AC 2 by saying it came with all the DLC the console version did, so it's worth the extra $10.

But it makes no sense on Splinter Cell.

I think they're charging $60 for games they think will sell even with a price hike. Activision did the same with MW2. I think they're still testing the waters with this price, if PC gamers start accepting the $60 on these games, then they'll probably try it out more releases in the future.

pc games price ranges has always jumped up and down in the past 20 years,early 90's it was 50, mid 90's 50-60 depending on game, 2000's it was 40-50, now its 50-60. not too surprising honesty. recalls paying 60 some for Quake 1, and 55 for Doom 3

Cmon guys, that DRM took some extra time and effort to create, thus the $10 increase is justified...

Right?

I was going to buy the PC version. Was kind of interested in a more action oriented Splinter Cell. Guess I won't now.

[quote name='V878']I think they're charging $60 for games they think will sell even with a price hike. Activision did the same with MW2. I think they're still testing the waters with this price, if PC gamers start accepting the $60 on these games, then they'll probably try it out more releases in the future.[/QUOTE]

greed knows no bound

bread's done
Back