Questions about the FFXI HDD and HDD Loader?

nneace

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Ok, I have checked the few posts on HDD loaders, and can't find the answers to my questions, so I figured I would post them here. So here I go:
1. If I install my Sony 40 GB Harddrive, does the HDD loader allow me to save my game progress (bypassing a memory card)?
2. While in game, can I access the saved files on the Hard Drive?

And that is really all I want it for, is to have the Sony Harddrive as functional as the XBOX Harddrive is. All comments and suggestions are welcome. Also, I don't want to store any games on the harddrive, so I am not worried about that.

[quote name='nneace']Ok, I have checked the few posts on HDD loaders, and can't find the answers to my questions, so I figured I would post them here. So here I go:
1. If I install my Sony 40 GB Harddrive, does the HDD loader allow me to save my game progress (bypassing a memory card)?
2. While in game, can I access the saved files on the Hard Drive?

And that is really all I want it for, is to have the Sony Harddrive as functional as the XBOX Harddrive is. All comments and suggestions are welcome. Also, I don't want to store any games on the harddrive, so I am not worried about that.[/quote]

1) I don't think most games will allow you to save directly to the hard drive, but you will have the ability to "back up" your saves to the HD.

2) Again, I think you can in certain games but not many.

Oh, than no dice eh? I know Socom 2 lets you, but I wanted a functional Harddrive...I was asking because I am debating whether or not to open FFXI or just sell it. I think I might play FFXi for a while, but then might get bored. However, if it is a functional Harddrive, then I might use it.

If the game doesn't natively support the HDD for saving and loading then HDLoader will make no difference.

Hell, I'd be happy if a product like HDLoader supported copying file to and from memory cards in addition to its primary function. But the speed of running games direct from the 160 GB hard drive in my PS2 was worth the investment.

One thing to watch out for is when you backup memory card files to the HDD it automatically "updates" the file's original date to the date you copy/move the file to the HDD.

bread's done
Back