Need some really easy to understand win7/office tutorials online.

gargus

Banned
My mother isnt very technically inclined and she had windows 7 and office 2007 just put on her pc at work and is lost with them. I have to teach her every little thing because she has no patience with computers.

So was looking for something either you could read or a video to watch with some real basic stuff in it. I mean like she couldnt figure out how to print on the new office because she didnt know the office icon in the upper left hand corner was a drop down menu with print on it because it didnt say it was.

I tried looking but few things I found were being explained by someone who is just clicking through things or assuming the person already knows a lot. Like some tutorial on youtube had a guy saying go here and do this but he just was quickly clicking through everything and going to fast.

I think there is a way you can make the new office look like the old one when it comes to button layouts.

Also, is there a library in your area...most libraries have free classes on stuff like that. They will possibly have DVDs on that stuff too.

If her place of employment is willing to pay for it, they may want to look into something like www.customguide.com

My office is using that to try to familiarize folks with Office 2007, and it works well for the most part. The tutorials let you both read and listen to a (annoyingly) cheery voice explain the lesson to you. They've got lessons for Windows as well. Just one possibility out of many that exist.

Hmmm thanks for the suggestions but yes we have a library and she wouldnt do that. She works long hours and usually pissed off afterwards so her free time is watching ncis or something because she wants to be left alone hehe.

And I know her company, they wont pay for shit. So that option is out.

[quote name='gargus']Hmmm thanks for the suggestions but yes we have a library and she wouldnt do that. She works long hours and usually pissed off afterwards so her free time is watching ncis or something because she wants to be left alone hehe.

And I know her company, they wont pay for shit. So that option is out.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about where she lives but in NYC you can do a lot of the library stuff online.

For example: I can order books, DVDs, Blu-Ray, Graphic Novels and even games from their website. The library will deliver it to the local branch for you to pick up or they will use their mobile service and you can have it come by your area. My area has a 8:30 PM EST drop off less than 1 block away. Some of the movies can be streamed from their website also.

[quote name='Megazell']I'm not sure about where she lives but in NYC you can do a lot of the library stuff online.

For example: I can order books, DVDs, Blu-Ray, Graphic Novels and even games from their website. The library will deliver it to the local branch for you to pick up or they will use their mobile service and you can have it come by your area. My area has a 8:30 PM EST drop off less than 1 block away. Some of the movies can be streamed from their website also.[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking you were saying going in for a class, I didnt notice the part about being on dvd. Ill go check out the library later. I hadnt thought of that. She just wouldnt want to go and sit through a class or something there.

[quote name='gargus']I was just thinking you were saying going in for a class, I didnt notice the part about being on dvd. Ill go check out the library later. I hadnt thought of that. She just wouldnt want to go and sit through a class or something there.[/QUOTE]

I stop by the library everyday with my kids after school before we head to my store, the library has tons of stuff...a lot of it untouched by the masses.

In NYC the free class both online and at the local branch are called 'ClickOn'

The DVD series from which they teach (curriculum standard) which I think is national for all libraries is titled 'Computers for seniors (and kids of all ages)' followed by whatever you want to learn.

[quote name='Megazell']I stop by the library everyday with my kids after school before we head to my store, the library has tons of stuff...a lot of it untouched by the masses.

In NYC the free class both online and at the local branch are called 'ClickOn'

The DVD series from which they teach (curriculum standard) which I think is national for all libraries is titled 'Computers for seniors (and kids of all ages)' followed by whatever you want to learn.[/QUOTE]

I crapped out.

I thought for sure this huge, big new library they built a year or so would have all kinds of stuff. But didnt have much, a lot of big rooms off to the sides with tables and chairs all empty. All the dvd stuff was just movies. Looks like they just built a big library and took the stuff from the little one and shoved it in there.

Ill try the other one but dont think they will have anything. Its essentially same size as a 1 story midsized house.

[quote name='gargus']I crapped out.

I thought for sure this huge, big new library they built a year or so would have all kinds of stuff. But didnt have much, a lot of big rooms off to the sides with tables and chairs all empty. All the dvd stuff was just movies. Looks like they just built a big library and took the stuff from the little one and shoved it in there.

Ill try the other one but dont think they will have anything. Its essentially same size as a 1 story midsized house.[/QUOTE]

Damn. That sucks.

When I last checked PA and Florida they had a library system very much like NYC. Part of my criteria for moving is that the place we go to has a few things and a strong and diverse library is one of them.

Try this and see if it will help her - http://www.gcflearnfree.org/computers

[quote name='Megazell']Damn. That sucks.

When I last checked PA and Florida they had a library system very much like NYC. Part of my criteria for moving is that the place we go to has a few things and a strong and diverse library is one of them.

Try this and see if it will help her - http://www.gcflearnfree.org/computers[/QUOTE]

That might work ok.

Evidently ladies she works with have same problems so this might work since she can email it to them and be able to check stuff out while they are at their pc.

bread's done
Back