Best D-Pad for the Money?

Fearia

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Title essentially says it all. What 'standard' controller for 360 (non-fight stick / mod like Sega Saturn) has the best D-pad in your experience?

I'm looking at the Razer Onza, and the 'transforming' Microsoft D-pad controllers currently. Are any of these worthwhile for the money as an upgrade specifically for the d-pad? If not, what would you recommend?

Mainly asking for Mortal Kombat, but I don't like fight sticks. Wish you could us a PS3 controller for the 360 just for this game!

generally from my experience any of the standard 360 controllers that are bundled with consoles tend to have a much better D-pad vs. single controllers purchased at your local store. the new 360 controllers (all black w/black thumb sticks) also have much better D-pads in comparison to the older 360 controllers (black w/grey thumb sticks).

I play SSFIV with both the console bundled controller and the newer models and the D-pad works very well, I play MK w/the TE stick so I can't really say from experience.

I just wish they'd sell it without the damn charger. I already have one and have quit using it in favor of eneloops.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I need a new dpad for MK.

I was thinking of getting one of these: http://www.buy.com/prod/new-ps2-to-...60/q/sellerid/16060654/loc/108/215988561.html

I don't have a PS3, and I still have my PS2...however, I think you need to plug in the xbox 360 controller in order for it to read that controller (hence the need for a wired 360 controller). I don't know if it will work with a xbox360 wireless controller plugged into the USB port for charging.

Has anyone used this?

95495228-260x260-0-0_Hori+Pad+EX+2+with+Turbo+for+Xbox+360.jpg

Hori EX2

Second on the Hori EX2.

+ Great d pad
+ 6 buttons on the face (they are LB/RB, but there are still LB/RB shoulders)
+ adjustable turbo (great for boosting)
- Wired only per MS policy

I bought mine for boosting but it's the only controller I use now.

Hrm, my only fear is the ghosting issues with the Hori EX2, and the popping off D-Pad issue with the Monochrome (transforming D-pad).

Any thoughts? Wired controllers don't scare me, as long as the wire is long enough.

you can't use those for anything analog, the trigger buttons aren't as good as a EX2, and no turbo. I really don't see the point -_-

(My EX2 had ghosting out of the box, just a slight downward pull every now and then, for the first couple of days I used it. It resolved itself after use though, had for 6 mos now)

[quote name='Fearia'] and the popping off D-Pad issue with the Monochrome (transforming D-pad).[/QUOTE]

Popping off? Has that happened to someone? The thing is pretty solid. You have to twist it pretty good to get it in and out of position.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I just wish they'd sell it without the damn charger. I already have one and have quit using it in favor of eneloops.[/QUOTE]

It comes with a redesigned battery and charger. It charges quicker and lasts longer.*

*their claims, not mine. I haven't done any testing myself, but it does seem to last longer. As for charging, I have the quick charger so I pop it on there and forget about it.

On Amazon they have a lot of complaints for the monochrome controller's d-pad popping off randomly. It appears to happen if you use it a lot supposedly, not just twisting it. So, I'm a bit worried but may just bite on it. If it works without issue, I can then get a 2nd. Or maybe I'll try an Onza. A turbo button would be nice.

[quote name='Corvin']P
It comes with a redesigned battery and charger. It charges quicker and lasts longer.*

*their claims, not mine. I haven't done any testing myself, but it does seem to last longer. As for charging, I have the quick charger so I pop it on there and forget about it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I read that too. It's more just that I already have a quick charger if I wanted to use it, so I hate paying more to get another one.

Is the Hori Ex2 only available at online stores?
I'll be honest, I rather get it from a B&M store.. preferably GS or Toys R Us since I have giftcards/credit at those stores

[quote name='lilboo']Is the Hori Ex2 only available at online stores?
I'll be honest, I rather get it from a B&M store.. preferably GS or Toys R Us since I have giftcards/credit at those stores[/QUOTE]

My local Microcenter has them in stock for $35. I may pick one up eventually, but I'm starting to learn how to use the d-pad proper on the 360. We'll see though.

We decided on the new silver controller.
The D pad is actually pretty awesome... and it's pretty =)

I'm going to keep it on the GOOD d-pad. If I ever need the full 8 point d pad, I'll use a normal controller. I don't want mine popping off.. lmao

I got this controller the first day they were available. Had it for about two and a half months before I came in one morning to find the D-Pad on the floor. It had literally shot off the controller in the middle of the night. It was broken, there was nothing to screw back on or lock back into place. The entire controller was ruined, and $54 was down the drain. My recommendation is, save yourself some money and just get the standard Xbox controllers. The spinny D-Pad doesn't really make a difference anyway, and it may eventually just fly off the controller.

Actual review from Amazon. And there's many that follow that same tone.

For now, I've decided to say "fuck it" and go with what I have now. The D-Pad is not the best, but I'm learning to adjust with it. Then, if I finally do find the "right choice", I'll be a pro with actually responsive controls ;)

Ive been playing with it religiously since yesterday. It doesn't seem flimsy at all. In fact, I have 2 and between 3 people we've played a ton with them.

Maybe it was some kind of problem that was fixed w/o an announcement? I'll def keep this updated if they ever pop off.. lol

I've been looking into this for a few days now. I currently have the monochrome transforming d-pad controller and in my opinion... it sucks. Not as much as the normal 360 dpad. Way better in fact. But that still leaves it below adequate. I haven't had it pop off but that wouldn't surprise me. Several times while playing it will switch back to the 8-way. Also just feels rough and bleh on my thumb. My internet "research" keeps coming back to the Hori EX2 though. I think I'll order it soon.

I still say get a Mad Catz fightpad for $30 from Gamestop if you don't mind having a controller only for fighting/arcade/classic games that don't require 2 analog sticks.

For the record, I ended up finding a MvC 3 fightpad at a local Gamestop for $40 (retail, goes for $80 new on Amazon via 3rd party now :( ). It's AMAZING! Easily the best gamepad for fighting games I've ever used. Far and away better than the MadCatz SF/WWE pads, though I have 2 of the those (for PS3) and they're good too.

Before I saw it in person, I had no clue what the controller was actually like. It's a little hard to describe, but I'll try. The d-pad is almost like an analog stick, (ie raised and concave) but it has 8 directions only that you can slide between at any angle. It gives a satisfying click and tactile response when you hit a direction. There's no wondering if you missed hitting that direction. Down-forward, down-back and other standard fighting game motions are effortless. The buttons have a satisfying arcade-y click to them and are very easy to push (none of that pressure sensitive crap here). To give you an idea, I couldn't beat the first test you might AT ALL with an official controller and I did it easily first try with this one. It's lightweight and slightly asymmetrical (left side is bigger) so it is possible to hold and use dpad with your left hand and use all 4 fingers on the buttons... if you don't need right trigger. Oh, and it looks sweet and comes in a very nice limited ed box.

Basically, if you can find one of these, get it. I'm so in love

when i dont have to use my analog controller at all, i sort of perfer my street fighter TE stick lol

makes those games feel like the arcade and thumbs imo isn't as good as the control ya get using the full hand, wish they'd somehow come up with some analog controller following more of the old arcade style controllers actually. they already are starting to move to real guns now like in kill zone 3 haha. :)

I was thinking about those Street Fighter Matcatz fight pads or the new Xbox 360 controllers with the transforming D-pads. I want something for Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

[quote name='randomthinker']I've been looking into this for a few days now. I currently have the monochrome transforming d-pad controller and in my opinion... it sucks. Not as much as the normal 360 dpad. Way better in fact. But that still leaves it below adequate. I haven't had it pop off but that wouldn't surprise me. Several times while playing it will switch back to the 8-way. Also just feels rough and bleh on my thumb. My internet "research" keeps coming back to the Hori EX2 though. I think I'll order it soon.[/QUOTE]

First off, I can't imagine the d-pad switching forms during use. You either have a faulty controller or didn't transform it right.

Second, I'm surprised you got the Madcatz FightPad as the Hori EX 2 is much, much better. But if you're happy with it, that's good enough.

[quote name='eastx']First off, I can't imagine the d-pad switching forms during use. You either have a faulty controller or didn't transform it right.

Second, I'm surprised you got the Madcatz FightPad as the Hori EX 2 is much, much better. But if you're happy with it, that's good enough.[/QUOTE]

Controller could be faulty. The left analog is a little weird too. But no, I've had a pair of MadCatz fightpads for PS3 for a long time now. They're ok, but what I got was the Marvel PDP-made fightpad w/ microswitch arcade parts. It's awesome. I can't imagine the Hori being better for purely fighting games, though as I said... I still want one :)

This is what I got:
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Marv...RUQI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305043851&sr=8-1
Except I found the last one at a local GS and got it for $40 :)

Oh, my bad. Misread your post earlier. That is indeed a cool controller, despite the ugly art. I hope they make a plain version some day.

bread's done
Back