Fry's: PlayStation 3D display $399.99 permanent price drop

You could probably go to best buy purchase this with a new PS3 for 100 dollars extra and then go back the next day and have them price match the display. This all hinges on you having a FRY's near you but 500 for a new system and the display is pretty good.

Newegg also dropped it to 399 yesterday. If this is a permanent drop, best buy has been offering 150 off a ps3 with the display for a little while now so I'd wait to see if best buy follows the drop and keeps the package deal.

A big negative on this monitor is that it does not have a tv tuner(or remote for that matter). Alot of reviews also say the screen is like a mirror with bad reflections.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261314

[quote name='caltab']Newegg also dropped it to 399 yesterday. If this is a permanent drop, best buy has been offering 150 off a ps3 with the display for a little while now so I'd wait to see if best buy follows the drop and keeps the package deal.

A big negative on this monitor is that it does not have a tv tuner(or remote for that matter). Alot of reviews also say the screen is like a mirror with bad reflections.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261314[/QUOTE]

I don't find that it doesn't have a TV tuner a big negitive. IMO most people that are buying this product will be using a set top box to watch TV. I do agree it should have come with the remote, especially if they wanted to sell it for $500...

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I don't find that it doesn't have a TV tuner a big negitive. IMO most people that are buying this product will be using a set top box to watch TV. I do agree it should have come with the remote, especially if they wanted to sell it for $500...[/QUOTE]

Well they Partially market it as a dorm room tv and I haven't seen many dorm rooms with set top box. The other place I'd see this is in an office or teens bedroom, both places you usually don't see set top boxes. Regardless, I was just making people aware it didn't have a tuner.

If you could pick up this tv at best buy for 499 with a ps3, I think it's starting to look like a decent buy. (the bundle is 599 now)

$500 for 24 inch was way too much to start out. But I'm wondering who they're going after with this? Most people already have much bigger TVs than this and those looking for new main sets will most likely want bigger. I can only suspect it is for people who already have expensive TVs that aren't 3D and will use this as a secondary "gaming tv". That is the only reason I would consider this if it drops even lower (~$300 range). But still 24" for gaming just seems so small to me now. Might as well just play the 3DS. :)

edit: saw post above after writing. Dorm room makes sense, but still seems kind of small these days when 32" sets are in the $300 range.

Guys, keep in mind that this is a pretty high quality monitor; no real comparison to a 32" off brand LCD. Now I'm not saying that I totally agree with the $499 price point for it, I think the $399 mark is a lot more reasonable, especially since they only include 1 set of glasses.

For the record, I do have the monitor, and even have a good gaming buddy who went and got the BB bundle after seeing mine setup. Of course, being a true cheap ass, there's no way that I paid $499 for it...:) I managed to snag one in Like New condition (had some damage to the outer box) from Amazon Warehouse the day after BF for $367. I had almost $300 in cheap credit saved up for a little holiday treat for myself, so this was a no-brainer. For $500 cash out of pocket, there's no way I would have bit so soon.

But it is a super-thin, high quality LED panel, 1080p and 240Hz, not to mention, of course, the active 3D, and the Simulview function (which I believe this is the first display to utilize the technology). The first night I got it, we just plunked it down on the coffee table in the living room before I permanently put it in my office/gaming shrine and sat on the floor in front of it. I have to say, the 24" didn't seem too restrictive even with two people playing (albeit pretty close to the display). We ran through a little Mortal Kombat, and utilized the Simulview for some co-op Killzone 3.

Just wanted to chime in and give a few first impressions from a new owner. I am usually not the type to jump day one on new stuff like this, but I was interested, and the price was too good to pass up. The styling of the monitor is pretty bad ass (kind of looks like a giant PSP), and yes, the lack of remote does suck, but there is an onscreen prompt that comes up to show you what button is what when you begin fooling with the buttons, and apparently the new Blu-ray/Media remote works to control it, as well.

IF they had a bundle with the monitor and console for $499, I would highly recommend it to anyone interested.

sgaldis hows the glare on it? Ive read a few reviews sayings its pretty bad. I've had my on this for a little while for my office set up...if I could get it for 499 with PS3 Id probably bite. Also, how are the speakers.

I've been tempted by the bundle deal first at Best Buy last week and now at Amazon. (ps3 + Display for $600). I saw the split screen in action and it was impressive but so far just 3 or 4 games support it. I really want to see regular 3D game in action on this unit but no stores have that setup for display. Can anyone speak to how good the 3D really is in PS3 games? As it stands I am waiting for a $500 bundle (display + PS3) - maybe around Xmas as these collect dust at the stores...

[quote name='jsgebo']I've been tempted by the bundle deal first at Best Buy last week and now at Amazon. (ps3 + Display for $600). I saw the split screen in action and it was impressive but so far just 3 or 4 games support it. I really want to see regular 3D game in action on this unit but no stores have that setup for display. Can anyone speak to how good the 3D really is in PS3 games? As it stands I am waiting for a $500 bundle (display + PS3) - maybe around Xmas as these collect dust at the stores...[/QUOTE]

thanks for the heads up on the Amazon deal, I hadnt seen that...man if amazon dropped it 100 bucks Id probably go for it along with the Mayhem move bundle.

I have the Blu Remote already and am ticked off I would need the Media Remote on sale at $15. I'm just using an old Sony Remote instead.

MicroUSB wire is short!

Can't wait to go full gear wearing Wireless Headset and 3D glasses while pointing a Sharpshooter at the 3D displaying Resistance3 on my PS3.

Sony really knows how to make us look like gamers!

[quote name='caltab']Well they Partially market it as a dorm room tv and I haven't seen many dorm rooms with set top box. The other place I'd see this is in an office or teens bedroom, both places you usually don't see set top boxes. Regardless, I was just making people aware it didn't have a tuner.

If you could pick up this tv at best buy for 499 with a ps3, I think it's starting to look like a decent buy. (the bundle is 599 now)[/QUOTE]

Hasn't cable TV gone all digital now so everyone would need a set top box of some sort to watch TV on it? In the promotional video Sony shows in stores, they specifically show the device connected to a set top box.

hmmm, i c this continuously dropping throughout the holidays, can't really see the appeal of a small 3d tv over a larger LCD TV

If you want to use this as A PS3 viewer its alright, forget about as a Computer monitor, poor viewing angles, fuzzy text weak options. You can get a much better 3D monitor with a tuner and many more connections, the only thing this PS3 setup has is the split screen 3D which is pretty cool.

[quote name='jsgebo']I've been tempted by the bundle deal first at Best Buy last week and now at Amazon. (ps3 + Display for $600). I saw the split screen in action and it was impressive but so far just 3 or 4 games support it. I really want to see regular 3D game in action on this unit but no stores have that setup for display. Can anyone speak to how good the 3D really is in PS3 games? As it stands I am waiting for a $500 bundle (display + PS3) - maybe around Xmas as these collect dust at the stores...[/QUOTE]

That is one thing I don't understand, why isn't Sony showing off the 3D in the stores? They would rather show the Simulview feature instead. They probably could show both if they wanted to.

I did see the 3D with Motorstorm, Resistance, and Uncharted. It was pretty good IMO. Not the best I have ever seen, but it was good. I do think you need to brighten up the picture when playing in 3D, because the picture gets dark with the glasses on...

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']Hasn't cable TV gone all digital now so everyone would need a set top box of some sort to watch TV on it? In the promotional video Sony shows in stores, they specifically show the device connected to a set top box.[/QUOTE]

I don't know the intricacies of cable, but I have tvs in the bedroom and office that don't have a set top box and get cable via their built in tuners.

The item's cost from Sony is at 343 so yes this looks like a price drop; but if they didn't price protect then who knows who will follow suit.

At Fry's I already saw a passive 3DTV 23" from LG for $450, so I knew Sony couldn't keep selling is display for $500 for very long. IMO $500 was an OK price when it was first announced at E3 six months ago, but prices overall on 3DTVs have dropped so much this display feels overpriced at $500...

[quote name='caltab']I don't know the intricacies of cable, but I have tvs in the bedroom and office that don't have a set top box and get cable via their built in tuners.[/QUOTE]

From what I understand modern TV that have a digital TV tuner can only receive unencrypted digital channels (basically broadcast channels) without a need of a set top box, anything above that you need a box. It is possible in your area they may allow more unencrypted channels that are on the basic service tear, but Comcast in my area only allows a small segment of those channels available for viewing with a set top box...

Still though, even at $500 I think most people here would choose the Sony monitor vs. a 23" LG with passive technology (yes, cheaper glasses, but lower res). Now that I think of it, did you mean 32"? Even then, after having the Sony, I would probably choose it again over a slightly lesser (quality, brand) but larger passive 3D TV. For $50 less, the Sony would be a no-brainer, IMHO.

When you can get a fantastic panny 3d 42' plasma for $600 or so (got one for around $500 during a nice best buy promotion recently) I dont see any reason to get this

I have this setup in my bedroom, and it's really nice for the space I have there. If you were in a dorm room this would be an ideal TV. It has really impressive sound for it's setup (with a built in subwoofer), and the picture quality is excellent.

I would thoroughly agree about the glare and reflections, though. I usually play it at night, with lights off while finishing up Dead Space, but during the day sun glare and reflections are a bit annoying. This could be remedied by changing the placement of the TV, but my room doesn't really have much area to avoid getting sunlight.

One thing that is odd is the 3D. I played Motorstorm: Apocalypse with my family when they came over for Thanksgiving, and they were blown away by the 3D. I have two glasses, and so we tried Simulview and it was flawless. But when I tried to play Uncharted 3 the 3D was poor. I guess it could just be the game, but I was surprised at how dizzying the 3D was for that game. I tried it at both the standard and hallucinating sequences of that game, and both looked equally as bad. The depth it was presenting was just...off. It actually was making me lose focus on the game, as the variance in distance just felt wrong to my eyes. There is an option in the menu to adjust the strength of the 3D in Uncharted 3, but none of the adjustments worked until I finally lowered the bar so low that it was just 2D at that point; I literally lifted up the glasses after lowering the 3D strength bar all the way and could see the image fine, so I realized the 3D in that game was useless.

When I watched the [Free] Sports Illustrated 3D preview it was inconsistent with it's quality of the 3D, but I then read reviews on the actual 3D Blu-ray and the reviews commented on how bland the movie's picture quality was, with little depth effects, so this was an issue with the movie, not the TV. I have yet to pick up a 3D Blu-ray, but am eager to do so to check how it looks, so I really can't comment on how it looks with movies.

Realistically, this would probably be a great HD TV for a small space, but $500 is hugely excessive ($400 is heading in the right direction, but I'd really wait to see if it goes lower). I don't imagine the 3D being to practical, as the glasses are somewhat uncomfortable to wear for long periods. Plus, they don't fully cover your eyes, so the exposed portions can be distracting. Also, everyone in my family was left with a mark from the weight of the glasses on their nose, and this was only from a few minutes of play. After a few hours, from either game play or a movie, the pinch from them could get irritating.

It's small, but a for a dorm room, apartment, or even a living room where you'd like to have a PlayStation 3/Blu-ray player, I could see it being worthwhile there. Due to Simulview, the size doesn't bother me, but I have yet to play a game like Resident Evil 5 on this screen, where imposed Split-Screen will definitely be a loss due to screen size.

If Simulview really does take off, as it really is an incredibly well done feature, this TV would be a worthy investment. But, again, it's only valuable as long as Sony supports it with future titles. That's why I'd advise to wait on it. Like with Move, wait to see how many titles actually use the feature before jumping onto this technology.

[quote name='sgaldis']Still though, even at $500 I think most people here would choose the Sony monitor vs. a 23" LG with passive technology (yes, cheaper glasses, but lower res). Now that I think of it, did you mean 32"? Even then, after having the Sony, I would probably choose it again over a slightly lesser (quality, brand) but larger passive 3D TV. For $50 less, the Sony would be a no-brainer, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

No I ment 23" on the LG set. From what I saw (execpt for the Vizio) the smaller 3D sets I have seen were 32" from Toshiba and Panasonic seemed to be overly expensive for their size in comparison to their larger sets, probably because they are newer sets.

As far as the comparison goes, I don't know if there would be much of a difference visually between the passive and active 3D, seing that the PS3 can't do 1080p in 3D. I have seen PS3 games on a 55" passive 3D, and it looked really good IMO.

There is a version of passive 3D (called RDZ) that has been developed that does give a 1080p image to each eye, basically by alternating viewpoints in the screen itself instead of the glasses. That is the technology I am looking for before I buy my first 3DTV.

[quote name='atc250es']Is this a universal price drop? Or just frys and newegg?[/QUOTE]

AFAIK it is only these places so far, but I expect other retailers to follow.

bread's done
Back