Non-US Dreamcast games

daroga

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
I'm just starting to get into the Dreamcast import scene and am looking for suggestions on what to try. Rez and Ikaruga are already on my list (though I may end up getting Ikaruga on the cube since it's pretty pricy for the DC). So, what are your favorite non-US Dreamcast games (I do enjoy shooters ala Ikaruga, 1942, etc.).

Ikaruga is pricey on the DC? They're both around the same price.

If you like shooters, some of the best lesser-known ones are Zero Gunner 2, Borderdown, and Trizeal. IIRC, one of the former two is a horizontal shooter like Gradius.

If you like puzzle games at all, you owe it to yourself to get Puzzle Fighter, featuring Capcom's most popular fighters.

I enjoyed Macross M3 quite a bit but that was long before Robotech Battlecry came out. Still it was a pretty fun game, one I played a lot back in the day.

Shenmue 2 is probably one of the greatest import-only DC titles available imo. This is the European version I'm referring to, natch.

Guilty Gear X was the only Japanese game I imported. Shenmue 2 was the only European one. Saturn was a much livelier console for importing...cause a lot of the good stuff never made it here.

[quote name='whitereflection']Ikaruga is pricey on the DC? They're both around the same price.[/QUOTE]]

Hrm, sure enough. A few weeks ago when I checked the DC version was selling for about $70+, and the GC for around $35. eBay's a weird place.

I imported Ikaruga, Shenmue 2, Rez, Headhunter, and Evil Twin. Evil Twin wasn't very good and Headhunter was good, but you can get it for dirt cheap on PS2.

Evil Twin was so incredibly dissapointing...looked like Tim Burton, sounded like it would play like Rayman/Mario....basically it was Psychonauts but not fun

If you're interetsted in fighting games in any way then try Vampire Chronicle (for matching service), and if you're (like me) into freaky geames with even more absurd controllers then try Densha De Go! 2 which is a train/subway simulator. The controller even has a cupholder :). Or give Pop N' Music a chance.
Living in Europe, these games are pretty rare and you're lucky to find them on ebay for less than 50€ which is like $60. As far as I know these games didn't have a US release and were Japan only

There are some great shooters for the DC like Trizeal, Radilgy, Chaos Field, Bangai-O, etc, but they can be fairly pricey, think $50 or so. As much as I love shooters, Im not willing to pay that much for them. Some cheaper shooters would be Mars Matrix, and Gigawing 1&2. There are also lots of great 2D fighters from Capcom and SNK.

If your into wrestling at all the DC is home to one of the greatest wrestling games ever, Fire Pro Wrestling D, its a hand drawn 2D game with near infinite customability.

[quote name='SMMM']I wasn't aware Puzzle Fighter was available for the DC. I may have to pick it up[/QUOTE]
The DC version has new mode that makes it almost a new game. Easily the best version. Plus you can change the text to english.

[quote name='62t']The DC version has new mode that makes it almost a new game. Easily the best version. Plus you can change the text to english.[/QUOTE]Say what?! Elaborate on this new mode please! :D

Oh and btw, a stupid but crucial noob question: what does one need in order to play imports on the DC? Is it as simple as burning one of those homebrewed self-booting CD-Rs?

[quote name='BustaUppa']Say what?! Elaborate on this new mode please! :D

Oh and btw, a stupid but crucial noob question: what does one need in order to play imports on the DC? Is it as simple as burning one of those homebrewed self-booting CD-Rs?[/QUOTE]

Its that simple. Utopia 1.1 boot disc is the one I use.

I agree Puzzle Fighter II for the Dreamcast is the best version of it released, hands down. You can design your own drop pattern. Also, the new modes include one where the blocks come from DOWN BELOW, which is totally different.

Fire Pro D(jap) and Headhunter (Pal) are good import games.

Headhunter you can get on the PS2 here in the states, I'm not sure how they compair.

Shikigama No Shiro 2 is good, very similar to Ikaruga if you like that sort of thing. And Tokyo extreme racer 2 (Not sure if that was available in the US)

[quote name='Ross84']Shikigama No Shiro 2 is good, very similar to Ikaruga if you like that sort of thing. And Tokyo extreme racer 2 (Not sure if that was available in the US)[/QUOTE]

It is.

[quote name='evanft']It is.[/QUOTE]
Yup, I made $150 or so selling the copies of TXR2 I got for $20 on eBay back in the day... so weird.

[quote name='SMMM']I wasn't aware Puzzle Fighter was available for the DC. I may have to pick it up[/QUOTE]

It actually has three 'modes' - one is the game you know, the other two are practically different games (columns-like? can't remember).

Shit, if you like the anime, you HAVE to read the manga. About a billion times better and there's about 30 volumes right now. There is so much more to the story than from what the first season of the anime showed.

[quote name='evanft']Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage is also available in NA.[/QUOTE]
Now if only they would release the PS2 sequel in America...

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Shit, if you like the anime, you HAVE to read the manga. About a billion times better and there's about 30 volumes right now. There is so much more to the story than from what the first season of the anime showed.[/QUOTE]
you can said this about 90% of the anime based on manga. Often the manga artist have little or no input on the anime, and sometime the changes they made in the anime is just horrible.

bread's done
Back