Help me decide! Drill Dozer or Sonic DS?

wageslave

CAGiversary!
Was thinking of picking one of these up. Leaning towards Drill Dozer since it seems more innovative and like a Megaman / Mario cross. Any advice?

Sonic DS is not a bad game. As long as you like Soinc, its all good. Havent played Drill Dozer (havent had a chance yet) so I wont give an opinion on that, so good luck.

For those that have played through both completely, what is the approximate length of each game? I'm playing through Princess Peach right now and I can tell it is really short. I'm looking for a game which will last a decent amount of time.

[quote name='lebowsky']For those that have played through both completely, what is the approximate length of each game? I'm playing through Princess Peach right now and I can tell it is really short. I'm looking for a game which will last a decent amount of time.[/quote]
I haven't played drill dozer, but sonic isn't incredibly long if you really want to get it done. If you sit down and just go for it you could get the game done in a day or so. Sometimes there are difficult parts and the very last chaos emerald is pretty hard to get, but if you do like a zone a day then it'll last you for 2 weeks or so :p.

And to the OP, get sonic, since I'll sell you mine for $22 :p.

[quote name='lebowsky']For those that have played through both completely, what is the approximate length of each game? I'm playing through Princess Peach right now and I can tell it is really short. I'm looking for a game which will last a decent amount of time.[/QUOTE]
Mmm... I'd say both are around 4-6 hours to just beat the game, not finish every aspect of it.

[quote name='lebowsky']For those that have played through both completely, what is the approximate length of each game? I'm playing through Princess Peach right now and I can tell it is really short. I'm looking for a game which will last a decent amount of time.[/QUOTE]

The problem with all DS games, imo, is that they are all way too short.

[quote name='Roufuss']The problem with all DS games, imo, is that they are all way too short.[/quote]

Well the thing is that almost all of my other DS games have pretty much unlimited playability - Zoo Keeper, Meteos, AC:WW, Metroid Pinball and MK DS. DoS was a good length and I'm still playing through M&L:piT and I think I'm roughly 10 or 11 hours in.

I guess platformers aren't typically long in the first place, but I'm hoping for 10 hours of gameplay at least.

[quote name='lebowsky']Well the thing is that almost all of my other DS games have pretty much unlimited playability - Zoo Keeper, Meteos, AC:WW, Metroid Pinball and MK DS. DoS was a good length and I'm still playing through M&L:piT and I think I'm roughly 10 or 11 hours in.

I guess platformers aren't typically long in the first place, but I'm hoping for 10 hours of gameplay at least.[/quote]

I doubt you'd get 10 hours out of sonic unless you had a hard time beating something. I'd say it would be about 5 hours max to beat all the zones, collect all the emeralds, and beat the super sonic/blaze zone if you don't have any trouble (I found the last zone boss hard and the last emerald hard to get, it took me a while to beat those).

A fun few hours though.

Get Drill Dozer. Sonic DS is good, but I can't seem to pull myself away from Drill Dozer...each and every one of the bonus levels, for example, present new surprises, just when I thought I'd seen everything. Bravo.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']i really liked sonic ds's 3d boss fights... for that, id say get sonic since ive never heard of the other game.[/QUOTE]

Sonic is good, but get Drill Dozer. It's a shame it's getting overlooked due to lack of name recognition. It's the best 2D platformer since Yoshi's Island, IMO.

I can't believe you even have to take a poll and think about this decision.

I have not played Sonic since Dreamcast, but from what I have read and seen, thank god I haven't!

Sonic pretty much died years ago after Sega went multiplatform.

Get Drill Dozer. Something new, something unique, something that's not Sonic.

Oh, and yes, Drill Dozer is a great (like Mario great) game.

These days I think GBA games are overpriced for what they are...that and the fact that Sonic DS is one of the few games I really enjoyed on the DS makes me say you should definatley get Sonic.

Get Drill Dozer. I'm a big Sonic fan -- the 3D versions not so much, but I love the classics for the Genesis. Sonic Rush just didn't do it for me. Not a bad game, but I've barely got the drive to finish it.

Drill Dozer, on the other hand, was awesome. I really liked the visual style, the play mechanics are unique but still very solid, and there are some really great puzzles in there.

[quote name='gambitmachete']Sonic is good, but get Drill Dozer. It's a shame it's getting overlooked due to lack of name recognition. It's the best 2D platformer since Yoshi's Island, IMO.[/QUOTE]

The Yoshi's Island comparison is a pretty big leap, since that's one of the very best platformers I've ever played in all my years of gaming, but it is indicative of the love for Drill Dozer from people who have gotten into it.

I was amazed and delighted by Drill Dozer. I felt like a kid again, rocking some SNES on a summer day when I should've been outside. Fun play mechanics and level design and a surprisingly good challenge. GAME FREAK deserves a lot of credit for this one.

Anyway, Sonic DS is arguably the best Sonic game in about a decade. If you remember the fun of the early Sonic games, you'll probably really like Sonic Rush. The sense of speed is wonderful and that feeling of being just on the verge of losing control is great. I thought the level design got slightly weak in a few areas, though, and the multi-player lost its fun after a short while.

All in all, I'd go with Drill Dozer. Sonic Rush is really good, but it does feel slightly played out. Drill Dozer feels fresher to me.

[quote name='whoknows']These days I think GBA games are overpriced for what they are...[/QUOTE]

Some GBA games are a little too simplistic by today's standards, sure, but I'm coming from an era when a short (and often half-assed) platformer cost $50 and today would be laughed at if a company tried to sell it for $20 as a bargain title. And later on some RPGs were up to $90 and over (damn you, Sega Genesis!).

$30 for a fun game like DK King of Swing, Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, or Drill Dozer isn't bad by my standards. I've been lucky enough to score them on sales or with coupons, but even if I had paid full price for those games, I wouldn't have felt cheated at all. I'm willing to pay for quality. The're all incredibly well designed games and held my interest from start to end.

Go with Drill Dozer. You've played Sonic a million times no doubt. While Rush is a respectable title, it's no better IMO then any of the Genesis or GBA titles. Drill Dozer is original.

[quote name='Scobie']The Yoshi's Island comparison is a pretty big leap, since that's one of the very best platformers I've ever played in all my years of gaming, but it is indicative of the love for Drill Dozer from people who have gotten into it.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't really mean to compare them, I was just saying that it's been like 11 years since a better 2D platformer has been released. Drill Dozer isn't my favorite 2D platformer ever, but I have to go a long way back to find something better.

[quote name='Scobie']
I was amazed and delighted by Drill Dozer. I felt like a kid again, rocking some SNES on a summer day when I should've been outside. Fun play mechanics and level design and a surprisingly good challenge. GAME FREAK deserves a lot of credit for this one.[/QUOTE]

Playing the DS and GBA in general makes me feel like that. I love playing new old-style games. :D

And Game Freak deserves alot of credit for everything IMO.

[quote name='Scobie']I was amazed and delighted by Drill Dozer. I felt like a kid again, rocking some SNES on a summer day when I should've been outside. Fun play mechanics and level design and a surprisingly good challenge. GAME FREAK deserves a lot of credit for this one.[/QUOTE]

This is probably the perfect quote to disply just why I like Drill Dozer so much. It's just got that certain "feel" to it that I haven't felt from a game in a long time.

Well I picked up Drill Dozer tonight at EB. They had the game marked at $29.99. As I stated in this thread before, EB and GS both had it listed as $35 in store and on the web everywhere I had been before. Figures I would have to travel to TN to find it cheaper.

It rang up at $35 but they honored the $30 price since the display box and the new game itself were marked at $29.99. After a trade-in and credit, I got it for under $10. Not bad. I can't wait to play it!

[quote name='lebowsky']Well I picked up Drill Dozer tonight at EB.
It rang up at $35 but they honored the $30 price since the display box and the new game itself were marked at $29.99. After a trade-in and credit, I got it for under $10. Not bad. I can't wait to play it![/QUOTE]

Nicely done!!! I hope you enjoy it. It'll probably be later in the week before I can dig back into it, but I can't wait!!

bread's done
Back