Box Office thread #7 weekend of 04/14/06 lucky number!

Danro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Ok, so heres what ive been up to: I went back to the very first box office thread and took all the winners and created a mini database for them so I could keep better track. Its helped immensely, and now we can give some people their proper dues. My appologies if I have missed your name on a winners list, I promise it wont happen again.

On to movie news: this past weekend was another big one for Ice Age: The Meltdown as it took number one at the box office again for 2 weeks straight. Big congratulations to the 28 CAG's who chose IA:TM in the polls. And now for some well earned recognition. We've had 6 polls prior to this one, and here are the current results:

[highlight]4 wins:[/highlight]
darkmere, I AM WILLIAM H. MACY, Tyga24, GF_Eric, Lice

3 wins:
thack, captaincold, shieryda, sblymnlcrymnl, thatstoobad, AdamInPlaidum, Maklershed, klwillis45, Greetard

2 wins:
Mike23, Dead of Knight, DT778, Brak, WeaponX2099, Prepster, Kendal, Danro, strummerbs, slidecage, guardian_owl, Shayde, hiccupleftovers, lockarm

1 win:
TONS! Catch up already :D.

And now here is your starting line up of cinema for the weekend starting 04/14/06 and ending 04/16/06:

The Wild
Director: Steve 'Spaz' Williams
Stars: Kiefer Sutherland, James Belushi, Eddie Izzard
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures

The Plot: A teenage lion is accidentally shipped from the New York Zoo to Africa. Now running free, his zoo pals -- a lion, a giraffe, an anaconda, a koala, and a squirrel -- must put aside their differences to help bring him back.

Scary Movie 4
Director: David Zucker
Stars: Anna Faris, Regina Hall, Andre Benjamin
Studio: Weinstein Company, The

The Plot: It's up to Cindy Campbell (Faris) to save the world from a Tr-Ipod attack on Earth.

Hard Candy [limited]
Director: David Slade
Stars: Patrick Wilson, Ellen Page
Studio: Lions Gate Films

The Plot: Photographer Jeff (Wilson) faces a potentially marring fate after the underage girl (Page) he met online traps him in a game where he has to answer for his taste in teenagers, and account for the girl who disappeared from his favorite coffee shop.

The Notorious Bettie Page [limited]
Director: Mary Harron
Stars: Gretchen Mol, Lili Taylor
Studio: Picturehouse

The Plot: Bettie Page (Mol) explodes in the 1950s as the world's sexiest pin-up girl; her status as a sex icon (and still-legendary bondage photos) eventually makes her the target of a Senate investigation.

Kinky Boots [limited]
Director: Julian Jarrold
Stars: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Joel Edgerton, Sarah-Jane Potts
Studio: Buena Vista Pictures

The Plot: A drag queen (Ejiofor) comes to the rescue of a man (Edgerton) who, after inheriting his father's shoe factory, needs to diversify his product if he wants to keep the business afloat.

Mujer de mi hermano, La [limited]
Director: Ricardo de Montreuil
Stars: Bárbara Mori, Christian Meier, Manolo Cardona
Studio: Lions Gate Films

The Plot: A love triangle forms between a married woman (Mori), her husband, and his brother.

Preaching to the Choir [limited]
Director: Charles Randolph-Wright
Stars: Billoah Greene, Darien Sills-Evans, Novella Nelson
Studio: Code Black Entertainment

The Plot: Two estranged brothers -- one a hip-hop star and the other a Baptist preacher -- find a way to make amends and help one another out as they each face a crisis in their lives.

Kekexili: Mountain Patrol [limited]
Director: Chuan Lu
Stars: Zhang Lei
Studio: IDP Distribution

The Plot: A journalist joins the brave group of volunteers who look to protect antelope from poachers in the mountainous region of Tibet.

Tops at the box office as of 04/09/06:
(dollar figures are weekend/total gross)

1. Ice Age: The Meltdown $34.5M/$116M
2. The Benchwarmers $20.5M/$20.5M
3. Take the Lead $12.8M/$12.8M
4. Inside Man $9.2M/$66.1M
5. Lucky Number Slevin $7.1M/$7.1M
6. Failure to Launch $4.11M/$79.1M
7. ATL $3.75M/$17.3M
8. V for Vendetta $3.65M/$62
9. Phat Girlz $3.1M/$3.1M
10. Thank You for Smoking $2.4M/$6.28M

Link to thread #6
Thanks as always to the IMDB
Be sure to vote for who you think will rake in the most money this weekend and feel free to discuss the box office.

This is a tricky one, on hand, it's a disney family flick and that will pull in the kid numbers BUT it's core audience just turned out in droves over the past two weeks to see Ice Age 2 so they may be less likely to come out. Also the flick really doesn't look that good, like a second-rate Madagascar (and I thought Madagascar was only passable)

On the other hand, we have Scary Movie which appeals to the team crowds and every commercial I have seen for it so far has had at least a few funny bits. So I think teens are going to trump tots this weeked and I'm going with SM4.

I'm thinking this is gonna be a neck and neck race between Ice Age and Scary Movie. But I'm gonna have to give the nod to Scary Movie 4.

And I'm pretty sure Silent Hill is gonna be a lock for next week :)

[quote name='Maklershed']I'm thinking this is gonna be a neck and neck race between Ice Age and Scary Movie. But I'm gonna have to give the nod to Scary Movie 4.

And I'm pretty sure Silent Hill is gonna be a lock for next week :)[/QUOTE]

QFT

Mark me down for Scary Movie 4 as well.

[quote name='Maklershed']I'm thinking this is gonna be a neck and neck race between Ice Age and Scary Movie. But I'm gonna have to give the nod to Scary Movie 4.

And I'm pretty sure Silent Hill is gonna be a lock for next week :)[/QUOTE]
I am so excited for that movie its not even funny. I cant wait for it to come out!!!

Oh, right....my guess is for Scary Movie 4

It'll be Scary Movie, pretty easily too.

Ice Age will go down even more, and The Wild looks like a horrible, horrible rip-off of Madagascar (it doesn't even look appealing to children).

[quote name='Maklershed']
And I'm pretty sure Silent Hill is gonna be a lock for next week :)[/quote]
I don't know about that, the trailer looked pretty good, but the commercials they've been showing on TV have been pretty bad which might turn off some people.

hmm...4-0, my streak is bound to come to an end soon.

this week i choose the wild. it seems like another gimme...i mean, disney + cgi + family comedy = big money. scary movie won't pull in the young kids and the older parents the same way.

The Wild looks terrible. Even though it's Disney, it really looks like shit compared to Ice Age 2, and there's been almost no hype for it. I expect it to bomb like Hoodwinked and Doogal, though probably not as badly as those two.

i had to go to scary movie 4.... usually i hate movies like this (hated 2 and 3 ) but the previews look so funny i probally end up going to see it

i be shocked if THE WILD places higher then 3rd the cartoon dont look that good and reminds me of a rip off of that other cartoon (where they get on the boat and crash on that island ) last yaer

Scary Movie 4.

Any time a horror movies opens, it's number one. Any time a fratboy comedy opens, it's number one. Mix them together? Number one one.

One thing is for sure. I'm glad I don't sell tickets anymore. I'd rather pretend to care about a customer's problem, try to fix it to make them happy, and then give them some free passes for their trouble.

My vote goes to Scary Movie 4.

Scary Movie 4. Never really liked the series but I don't know anyone who wouldn't pay to see Dr. Phil cut off his own limbs.

[quote name='Kendal']Kind of off topic, but if Thank You For Smoking is out this weekend and is playing near you. See it![/QUOTE]
Definitely agree on that, it's an excellent film with some truly excellent performances.

I had to watch SC4 last night and it was awful, as expected.

Just to give you an idea of whats to be expected this weekend. My theater has four prints of Scary Movie 4, yet only one for the Wild. Ice Age 2 still has two if I remember correctly and everything else has just one.

Still time to get those last minute votes in! And thank you cgpwns, I was going to see SC4 this weekend and now wont because of your words of wisdom.

Just got back from seeing the Inside Man. fucking great moive highly suggest it to anyone wanting a really really well done thriller.

[quote name='whoknows']Thats because it's an awesome movie.[/quote]

I dunno if you're being sarcastic or not, but I thought it was pretty good. I'd see it again.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']I dunno if you're being sarcastic or not, but I thought it was pretty good. I'd see it again.[/QUOTE]
Nah, not being sarcastic. I actually really liked it. I wouldnt see it again anytime soon though since comedy movies only make me laugh once...usually.

[quote name='whoknows']Nah, not being sarcastic. I actually really liked it. I wouldnt see it again anytime soon though since comedy movies only make me laugh once...usually.[/QUOTE]
To me I have two different reactions to funny comedies: Either I watch it once and it is funny and then there are dimishing returns for each successive time I watch it. Or each time I watch it it just gets funnier and funnier, like Futurama, I can watch that over and over on reruns and it still amuses me, especially the Zoidberg lines. :D

[quote name='BasketCase1080']i think itll be iceage since its easter weekend and im sure families would take there kids to see a movie.[/quote]

I would agree only if it wasnt spring break for all the highschools. They will go in droves to see Scary movie 4.

1.[SIZE=-1]Scary Movie 4 (2006)[/SIZE]$41M$41M
2.[SIZE=-1]Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006)[/SIZE]$20M$147M
3.[SIZE=-1]The Benchwarmers (2006)[/SIZE]$10M$36M
4.[SIZE=-1]The Wild (2006)[/SIZE]$9.56M$9.56M
5.[SIZE=-1]Take the Lead (2006)[/SIZE]$6.7M$22.5M
6.[SIZE=-1]Inside Man (2006)[/SIZE]$6.3M$75.3M
7.[SIZE=-1]Lucky Number Slevin (2006)[/SIZE]$4.6M$14.1M
8.[SIZE=-1]Thank You for Smoking (2005)[/SIZE]$4.45M$11.5M
9.[SIZE=-1]Failure to Launch (2006)[/SIZE]$2.6M$83.2M
10.[SIZE=-1]V for Vendetta (2005)[/SIZE]$2.17M$66M

[quote name='slidecage']i had to go to scary movie 4.... usually i hate movies like this (hated 2 and 3 ) but the previews look so funny i probally end up going to see it

i be shocked if THE WILD places higher then 3rd the cartoon dont look that good and reminds me of a rip off of that other cartoon (where they get on the boat and crash on that island ) last yaer[/QUOTE]

woo guess that right.. told you the wild wouldnt get higher then 3rd ... came in 4th

I heard there is another cartoon just like this coming sometime in may... they are overflooding the marketplace with cartoons... stupid idea

PUT OUT SNAKES ON A PLANE IT WOULD DESTORY ALL : )

bread's done
Back