When did I miss this? Internet Explorer 7 out for free: do I downlaod? [NO FIREFOX]

sarausagi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I was checking around online and suddenly decided to read up on IE7 [amost downloaded a release candidate a few weeks/months ago]

All of a sudden microsoft.com is telling me it's out, I swear I heard nothing [on the news, on CAG, on tech sites, etc]

So I have to ask, has anyone here upgraded?

I am wondering if I should because IE6 is very fast and I have an extremely stable system [haven't crashed in forever, no slow downs, I can have 20 windows going and all is fine]

Is IE7 any better?

LASTLY, NO FIREFOX SUGGESTIONS. I -HATE- FIREFOX and pretty much any "ALTERNATIVE"

[quote name='sarausagi']
Is IE7 any better?

LASTLY, NO FIREFOX SUGGESTIONS. I -HATE- FIREFOX and pretty much any "ALTERNATIVE"[/QUOTE]

Well too bad sister, because the answer to your question is no, and it looks like you know the true solution already.

I'm curious what it is you hate about firefox because the biggest draw of IE7 for some people it seems is the Tabbed browsing which is a big proponent of Firefox.

[quote name='sonderiaom']I'm curious what it is you hate about firefox because the biggest draw of IE7 for some people it seems is the Tabbed browsing which is a big proponent of Firefox.[/QUOTE]

Well, most of it is my system [which I take extremely good care off, I have a fully tweaked Windows XP and a computer I built myself] does not like Firefox: as I said, using IE6 I can open around 15-20 Windows with Outlook and Winamp open no lag or delay, in Firefox I have ten tabs going and my system is MUCH slower] Plus the type of mouse I use makes it a lot easier to switch between windows, so tabbed browsing has never been much of an appeal to me

Mostly what I am wondering, is IE7 going to be slower? will it have "errors" and "crashes" I never see in IE6? Will it hog memory? I have a gig of RAM so I should be okay, but I like my interface to be completely point and click, seamlessly moving from window to window

I'm also just wondering why there's no fuss on it at all [searched a few forums I read and found nothing] yet when IE6 came out, the response was huge, and security updates still get around quick

[quote name='Strell']It's a bigger resource hog than FF last time I tried it.

No kidding.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's not good, remember the memory load by any chance? or maybe the start up?

If it's like netscape was in the day..where it took a whole minute to boot up, that kills it

It took forever to load up in my experience, and then if you opened a new tab, that took forever. I'm thinking 6-7 seconds for each action.

I didn't try multiple windows, or if I did, I don't remember.

It follows the normal cycle of Microsoft software - it's gotten horribly bloated in an attempt to give the user EVERY OPTION AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES, when you might use only a few repeatedly.

If they slimmed it down and made it work fast, it would be comparable to FF. But it isn't.

Firefox completely rules. I am dumbfounded how much of my life went by before I switched over. I still have the IE up for dev purposes, and when I accidentally hit it for browsing I sit there silently cursing at the screen for 3-4 seconds before I can close it and banish it back to the realm of unused desktop icons.

Seeing as you're asking about IE - I think the new version supports tabbing, given MSoft's history I'm sure it will have a nicer graphical sheen and run slightly slower.

Everything points to keep IE6

But does anyone know if you can downgrade IE7 to 6?

I remember old Windows 95 machines got their registries totally crashed if you tried to downgrade ever...

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']IE7 is awful, and if you don't like Firefox you should probably just quit the internets.[/quote]Sorry, I like going to websites without my brower freezing and crashing every half hour.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Sorry, I like going to websites without my brower freezing and crashing every half hour.[/QUOTE]

So do I, thats why I stopped using IE.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Sorry, I like going to websites without my brower freezing and crashing every half hour.[/QUOTE]

Your PC must be a piece of shit then.

Firefox crashes maybe once a week for me.

I can't stand Firefly either, mainly because I'm so used to IE.

IE7 has been out like a month, it's like Firefox with the taps and pisses me off a lot because the opinions hide and then the favorites dissappear. It works, but nothnig special.

I just read it's been downloaded 100 million times

Honestly, I'm not going for this only because I seem to be doing fine with 6 right now, and no where I've been requires 7

Vista will force it on me anyways though, so I might as well hold off on any updates.

I love Windows, but is anyone like me [a Windows fanatic, meaning I enjoy Windows, and I have had no ill experience with it] not excited about Vista at all? I feel like I'm upgrading to 98 or ME...not the huge change I saw and felt when XP came out

[quote name='sarausagi']I love Windows, but is anyone like me [a Windows fanatic, meaning I enjoy Windows, and I have had no ill experience with it] not excited about Vista at all? I feel like I'm upgrading to 98 or ME...not the huge change I saw and felt when XP came out[/QUOTE]

I'm not excited mainly because I used the beta and well to run it smoothly it looks like I'm going to have to get some more ram.

Just idling it was using around 650-750 MBs. :/

Man some of you guys are hardcore about your programs. I switched from IE to FF just because of tabbed browsing. Now IE7 has it but I'm a creature of habit so I'm staying with FF. In the end, they are just web browsers, that's all.

[quote name='sarausagi']Everything points to keep IE6

But does anyone know if you can downgrade IE7 to 6?

I remember old Windows 95 machines got their registries totally crashed if you tried to downgrade ever...[/quote]

You can downgrade without any problems it creates an entry in the add/remove programs that if removed reverts yours system IE 6. It does support tabbing and an integrated search window that allows you to define your search engine of choice i.e. google,yahoo,msn, etc without the need to download a separate toolbar.

[quote name='Strell']It took forever to load up in my experience, and then if you opened a new tab, that took forever. I'm thinking 6-7 seconds for each action.

I didn't try multiple windows, or if I did, I don't remember.

It follows the normal cycle of Microsoft software - it's gotten horribly bloated in an attempt to give the user EVERY OPTION AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES, when you might use only a few repeatedly.

If they slimmed it down and made it work fast, it would be comparable to FF. But it isn't.[/quote]
You must have a shitty PC if it took 6-7 seconds to do anything. It loads up quickly on my PC with maybe a second or two delay at most.

OP, you should just download it and try it out. If you don't like it, it's easy enough to revert back.

Firefox is still the best especially with customization and overall security, but IE7 has actually gotten better since its release last time I loaded it up on a computer I was working on. At first it was one of the glitchiest things I've seen in a while. Now it's suprisingly decent and a total FF knockoff.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You must have a shitty PC if it took 6-7 seconds to do anything. It loads up quickly on my PC with maybe a second or two delay at most.
[/QUOTE]

It wasn't mine.

Nice try though.

Doesn't change the fact that IE7 sucks balls, then asks for more balls to suck on while it is sucking balls. Like it's a "how many balls can I suck at once?" contest.

So many balls.

Give Opera a try .

That goes for anyone , it's alot better now not , that it was ever awful .

Opera 9.1 is super stable for me .

[quote name='Richlough']Give Opera a try .

That goes for anyone , it's alot better now not , that it was ever awful .

Opera 9.1 is super stable for me .[/QUOTE]

Do you still have to pay $29 for it?

[quote name='Strell']It wasn't mine.

Nice try though.

Doesn't change the fact that IE7 sucks balls, then asks for more balls to suck on while it is sucking balls. Like it's a "how many balls can I suck at once?" contest.

So many balls.[/quote]
Sure.

FF > Opera > IE7 > IE6

IE7 is a huge improvement over 6 IMO, and there's no reason not to upgrade it. Its only draw backs are issues with some web pages, kinda laggy, and isn't nearly as customizable as FF.

Its pros are that is looks damn purdy, it has a pretty good built in RSS reader, uses MUCH less memory than the leaky as fuck FF, and is overall safer than IE6.
If you don't like tabs (God knows why), you don't have to use them.

[quote name='Roufuss']Your PC must be a piece of shit then.

Firefox crashes maybe once a week for me.[/quote]

Gotta agree with that. My computer probably Restarts firefox once every two weeks if that. It has never Crashed on me when i was just browsing around. I actually have Firefox and Opera on my Machine. I like the open end uses of Opera like the widgets and difernt skins. But i like firefox because if i open up a new tab it wont automatically go to that tab. I know the only way to do that in Opera is to open it up as a background tab.

I've had no problems with IE7, and MUCH prefer it over 6. It's not hogging resources for me, not enough that I can't do other work too, and open several pages at once usually.

FF is better, but IE is catching up.

[quote name='sarausagi']Do you still have to pay $29 for it?[/QUOTE]

No free of charge.

Also be sure to add this urlfilter.ini

http://files.filefront.com/urlfilterini/;6591263;;/fileinfo.html

It blocks a ton of ads right out of the gate.

1. Save
2. Close Opera
3. Move the file to (if using default settings):
C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Opera\Opera 9\profile\urlfilter.ini
4. Start Opera again, and enjoy!

IE7 seems a lot more stable than IE6 ever was. It crashes maybe once a week, if that? I've not noticed any changes in consumption, either.

I use both, and people who are "Hardcore Firefox" are just as annoying as "Hardcore Nintendo"... I picture these people stand around all day at best buy and try to get people to convert to their cultish ways. =)

If you dont work for the company, then why make them richer?

im convinced firefox is the starbucks of the internet. most people who have it swear they're the most elite people of all time and tend to bring it up in just about every conversation about anything related to computers, even if you're talking about a video card! (personal experience) of course, this definatly does not apply to everyone. but to stay on topic, im sticking with IE6 as i have heard several complaints about it going slow, or just freezing up. eh , that just didnt appeal to me, plus tabs scare and confuse me.
(yes i have had firefox before and i did not like it, just in case) :)

i upgraded my pos emachine at home and ie7 is just sucking 'balls' as it is called.

i would just wait
stick with what works

also thanks for the info about downgrading it

ill give it a go tonight :)

bread's done
Back