2013 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
1229 replies to this topic

#541 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

very few sales listed this morning... hard to make a route. We'll see how it goes...

www.vg-force.com

#542 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

It was slow most of the morning but I found a couple of great finds at the end to make it a good day. Funny though, at 10:00 after 2 hours out I would have said crap day, then in the last hour I did great.

Early finds:

CIB Snafu for Intellivision: 1.00. Still had a 2.99 goodwill sticker on it, said only one she still had. I was cool for 1.00, I don't have a lot of games for my intellivision.

Price of Persia (360)

The Saboteur (360)

Crash Bandicoot the Huge Adventure (GBA)

Paid $7.00 for the three. Not bad.

Then I started to do okay. Found a GBC with a carrying case, worm light and 7 games:

Rocket Power Gettin Air

Tony Hawks Pro Skater

Madden 2002

Doug's Big Game

Yoshi's Cookie

Mario Land 2 6 Golden Coins

Kirby's Dream Land 2

Total price? $5.00. Worked for me.

My last sale was my best score though. They had a bunch of games for $1.00 for PS2, ,but mostly junk. I did pick out:

Crash Bandicoot GH (PS1)

The Adventures of Cookie and Cream

Mega Man Anniversary Collection

I asked if they had anything older and she remembered they had an N64.

She pulls out a jungle green N64, with two controllers (one official, one really awful looking third party), a racing controller (not the wheel), the expansion pack, all the cords, and 13 games. Mostly junk, but I did see DK64, Mario Kart 64, and Hydro Thunder. I asked how much for all including the 3 PS2 games. She said $30.00. I told her I had $24.00 on me and she said that was fine. Works for me.

www.vg-force.com

#543 momoney635

momoney635

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

Finally found a sale with a decent selection of games.  Managed to get all this for $20:

NES

Excitebike

Yoshi's Cookie

Galaga

Top Gun

SNES

Super Mario World

The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past

NBA Jam

Secret of Evermore

GBC

Pokemon Crystal

PS1

Spyro

Lunar Silver Star Story Complete

N64

Wave Race 64

Pilotwings 64

#544 kermit036

kermit036

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:15 AM

I started the day off by grabbing an empty DSi box. The lady thought the DSi was in there. Hopefully the coins have not been redeemed.

9161363429_470e660e62_z.jpg

PS2 and GTA:VC was $8

9163595102_5419e6370e_z.jpg

I got this binder of PS1 games for $1. Worth it for Metal Gear Solid alone. Also got some decent manuals. If anyone needs one let me know

Spoiler

And my favorite score of the day. Both seasons of samurai Jack for $5. The Sesame Street collections for $2.50.

9163586838_3fd9bf0616_z.jpg

#545 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:24 AM

Hey fellow CAGs, I'd appreciate some input on the following yard sale ad that features some NES and SNES games. I was pretty excited about it at first, but upon closer inspection it looks like mostly common titles with some duplicates. I'm starting to think this is just a collector/reseller looking to offload their extras at marked up prices. Thoughts?

http://baltimore.cra...3897318011.html

that is obviously a flea market seller (who is probably too cheap/lazy to actually set up at a real flea market or sell on ebay) I wouldn't bother, more than likely the prices will be higher than ebay and you will end up missing something good at a real yard sale while you are wasting time with that guy

BTW this reminds me, I love how people assume California Raisins are worth a lot of money because they're from the 80s. I remember once looking at some at a sale and asking how much and the guy rips them from my hand and yells "THOSE AREN'T FOR SALE! IM PUTTING THOSE ON EBAY! THEY ARE WORTH TOO MUCH MONEY TO SELL HERE!". About 15 minutes later I bought a bag of about 20 of them for $2 at another sale in the same neighborhood! 

#546 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:47 AM

If you think that's bad, head up a couple of blocks to the Collector's Corner. All of the sudden I'm seeing these ads about going on some kind of crypto-metaphysical journey, creating a swap meet area--most of them don't have addresses, but they all feature video games and comic books. Here's the best one, conveniently placed behind their business:

I'm setting up at a swap meet and thought I would post some of things I will be selling on here (the swap meet will be behind the store). Prices will be more than fair (pretty much downright cheap). I will have tons of:

Vintage Toys - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, GI Joe, Superheroes, Ghostbusters, etc...
Newer Toys - Power Rangers, Transformers, etc...
Vintage Skateboards
Original Nintendo with games like Zelda, Mario, etc...
Super Nintendo
Sega Genesis
Old School Gameboy with tons of games
Comic books
A load of Pop Culture stuff - 70s, 80s and 90s
Star Wars stuff (mostly vintage)
Japanese toys - Ultraman, Godzilla
Stuff for the ladies - Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, My Little Pony, etc...
A bunch of old school WWF figures (pre WWE)

If you grew up in the 80s you do not want to miss this sale. Along with all of that my wife will be selling chocolate covered bacon. There will also be a number of other people selling stuff too. The sale starts at 10 and runs until 4. It will be under a tent too! I'm motivated to get rid of a lot of inventory so bring your cash or credit (I will accept credit cards).

Yard sales, now accepting credit cards. Right. If you were a true yard sale or flea market, we wouldn't need credit cards.

The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#547 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

If you think that's bad, head up a couple of blocks to the Collector's Corner. All of the sudden I'm seeing these ads about going on some kind of crypto-metaphysical journey, creating a swap meet area--most of them don't have addresses, but they all feature video games and comic books. Here's the best one, conveniently placed behind their business:

Yard sales, now accepting credit cards. Right. If you were a true yard sale or flea market, we wouldn't need credit cards.

I shit you not, there was a guy peddling CDs out ot the back of his car at BBY who came out with a CC reader when I told him I don't have any cash.

#548 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

I've actually seen a lot of people accepting credit cards lately, some of whom aren't overpriced but are just normal garage sales. It is so easy to take them through a phone now that a lot of people are trying it.

www.vg-force.com

#549 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

You have to pay a percent on each transaction I think if you use something like the square reader so for the $1-10 sales that occur around here at yard sales its probably not worth it, it might be worth it for something $50 and up though. But it kind of takes the fun out of haggling.

#550 Asmith906

Asmith906

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

Yo I think I just got an amazing deal. I found a mint copy of the Link To The Past for the Snes today for Fifty Cents. I actually just started collecting snes games so I was shocked when I saw it. :D

Also I don't know if I'd trust using my credit card on some machine at a yard sale

#551 blinger524

blinger524

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

My most recent finds:
Super Mario Bros 2 & 3 for NES - $8
Perfect Dark, South Park, and Rugrats for N64 - $10

#552 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

You have to pay a percent on each transaction I think if you use something like the square reader so for the $1-10 sales that occur around here at yard sales its probably not worth it, it might be worth it for something $50 and up though. But it kind of takes the fun out of haggling.

Its the same percent no matter how much the item costs. I think most are like 6%. What's the difference between $00.06 on a $1.00 transaction or $3.00 on a $50.00 one? I've used one, these things are very secure and they require signature and everything just like any other card reader.

www.vg-force.com

#553 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

I only had one find today but I think it's a good one, I got the sunburst guitar for guitar hero, the wireless 360 one for $2.50. Saw a lot of other overpriced stuff, $40 for Wii Fit, a couple weeks ago a lady had one for $3 and it was not selling and an $85 kinect in the box (just the kinect). So if I have the guitar hero world tour sunburst guitar which games would this one be compatible with, I think the games are only a few dollars each at GS so I wouldn't mind picking one up.

#554 FOnewearl

FOnewearl

Whooooooooa Bundy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

2ll0f7q.jpg

Contact (DS, Complete) - 1
Final Fantasy Tactics, Puzzle Star Sweep & A Generic PS1 Memory Card - 1.25

From 2 different sales, everything was asking price. The PS1 games were .50 each and .25 for the memory card.

Non Find BS Friday -
Spoiler

Sorcerer's Maze - .50
Playstation 2 System Only (DRE) - 10
3 Complete Genesis Games - .75

The PS2 was 15 but took 10. The other games were all asking price.

Non Find BS Saturday -
Spoiler

62 Guides For Trade Brand Then Alphatized Updated 3-6-10.

http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=36537

#555 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

I knew today was going to be weird, but you guys might like this. I went to that Raspe Ave sale that Mike_TV mentioned, and as expected it was overflowing with sports games plus similar crapola. Silent Service CIB was still sitting there too, $10. I was able to wriggle an original NES controller and a Star Tropics 2 game out of them for $3--a good tip for the newbies out there, if you think it's going to be a reseller or someone with stiff prices, visit closer to noon ;)

Also picked up a Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson (book) and a sealed Shawn of the Dead dvd at another sale, spent $1.50.

Ironically enough my best haul of the day was from the last sale-- none other than the Collector's Corner which I visited purely for the lulz and to see the high prices. For whatever reason though the sidewalk sellers must've been friends or distant relatives of the store, it was enough to make my jaw drop and my legs dawdle with how reasonable their prices were. Here's what I snagged:

Paper Mario (GC, Complete) - $5

Duck Hunt (CIB)

Ultima: Warriors of Destiny CIB :hot:

Final Fantasy 7 (GH, Complete)

Mike Tyson's Punch Out (nes)

Dragon Spirit (thought it was dragon fighter, wasn't taking any chances there)

Link's Awakening (cart + manual)

Rescue of Princess Blobette (cart + manual)

All for $45

Next I picked up a loose NES console + 2 controllers and a zapper, with some CIBs I hesitated on earlier because the boxes were rough. Here's the run down:

Bases Loaded 4

Gradius (CIB)

Hogan's Alley

Ms. Pac-Man (CIB)

Super Mario Bros (CIB)

Super Mario Bros 2 (CIB)

Super Mario Bros 3 (CIB)

Super sprint CB

Tetris

TMNT (CIB)

Wizard and Warriors (CIB)

Zelda 1 + manual and map

The guy tossed in a ps1 lightgun in box too, I figured I couldn't go wrong for $65. Plus he topped the deal off with these ps1 titles as freebies, all complete:

Area 51

Civilization 2

Twisted Metal 3

By this time I was collapsing under the weight of my box and fending off the curious trying to pick it; but I wasn't done, not by a long shot!

Pikmin 2 (disc only, rough)

Tales of Symphonia (discs only, rough)

Final Fantasy Tactics (ps1 GH, complete)

Super Mario World (SNES)

Magical Quest (SNES)

Super Mario Advance 2

Mario Kart Super Circuit (2x)

Warioland 4
Yu-Gi-Oh Reshef of Destruction

$35 for this batch.

All in all not a bad day, even though heatstroke nearly got me at the end while carrying back my mobster loot. If you're thinking of doing a five hour run with no fluids or AC, watch out!

The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#556 midlifecrisisMkII

midlifecrisisMkII

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

After a month long dry spell for garage sales, I finally had a good weekend.

- Pink Ribbon DS lite w/o charger or stylus - $10

- Thin PS2 w/ 2 controllers, memory card, power brick and 10 games - $10

- Xbox w/ a blue controller, all cables and a thin PS2 w/ 2 controllers, power brick, 5 sets of composite cables and 6 games – $20

- Rampage Total Destruction (PS2) - $2

- Redsteel (Wii) - $1

I know others have said it here before, always ask the sellers if they have video games for sale. Three out of the four systems I picked up this weekend were from asking if they had video games or electronics. For whatever reason, the sellers didn't have the systems out.

#557 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:05 AM

I picked up super smash bros melee, luigis mansion, mario party 6, some undersea monopoly game, and a fury of the clansmen board game for $15 at the first sale of the day.

Nothing much else after that, I should have gone home.

#558 Pirate331

Pirate331

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

2ll0f7q.jpg

Battle Squadron is a great SHMUP. If you've got a Genesis/Mega Drive, definitely check it out.

Posted Image
Earn money by filling out mindless surveys!
http://www.cashcrate....php?ref=200970

#559 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

Nothing much else after that, I should have gone home.

Quitting is tough . . . there's always the possibility that the next sale will have the big score.  "Just one more . . . OK, one more after that . . . what about that sign? . . ."

But if you get something decent when you're about to quit it only pushes you to keep going.

#560 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Quitting is tough . . . there's always the possibility that the next sale will have the big score.  "Just one more . . . OK, one more after that . . . what about that sign? . . ."

But if you get something decent when you're about to quit it only pushes you to keep going.

Yeah, that's what kept me going. I've had some great finds late in the day, too, so I'm always chasing the yard sale dragon.

#561 Dawg Pound

Dawg Pound

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

Went to Trash and Treasures yesterday, which is a community wide event held once a year in my local town.  Stopped at a sale before getting there and picked up a N64 with 2 official controllers, one gray and one ice blue.  Both of which are in perfect condition.  1 memory card and Sonic the Hedgehog and Mortal Kombat for sega genesis for $16.  

Finally got into town where there is stuff everywhere and found nothing but overpriced stuff, go figure.  I did pick up a Guitar Hero controller for $3 though.

#562 Br0keAssGamer

Br0keAssGamer

BrokeAssGamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

Nothing today.....

Went to a sale and saw a TI-83 calculator.  Picked it up and asked how much the guy wanted for it, he said $60.  So I laughed a little and said "haha I dont know make me an offer".  He responds with "I dont know?  $50?"  The guy was fucking serious.....I thought that $60 offer was some ridiculously high price to joke around with me.....idiot.  I hope he has fun eating his calculator tonight  [-(

Make $$ on your iOS or Android device using FeaturePoints! 

Use the code G8KHP9 for 50 FREE POINTS when you start!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't care if it's another fucking Mario/Duck Hunt. It's the only thing I've found today so I'm buying it!"
My eBay Page http://myworld.ebay....jabberwocky2600

#563 FOnewearl

FOnewearl

Whooooooooa Bundy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Battle Squadron is a great SHMUP. If you've got a Genesis/Mega Drive, definitely check it out.

I most definitively do have a Genesis but didn't have Battle Squadron until now, good to hear that it's worth playing as I remember it yet don't even remember if I ever rented/played it back in the day.

I hope he has fun eating his calculator tonight  [-(

Numbers taste GREAT!

I can related I had somebody that had 2 TI-xx calculators at a yard sale a few weeks ago I think they wanted 85 for both. I even saw a record setting asking price on a game at the flea market today ($50)

62 Guides For Trade Brand Then Alphatized Updated 3-6-10.

http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=36537

#564 InsertCoin

InsertCoin

Player One

• Trading Ban

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:58 AM

Got bubble bobble one and part 2 for Nes for $4. Also has boxes and manuals for them both. Nice 400$ + profit. First time finding a great find
You have 7 Continues Left. Press START to continue... 9...8...7!

#565 alexkidd4

alexkidd4

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:38 AM

Got bubble bobble one and part 2 for Nes for $4. Also has boxes and manuals for them both. Nice 400$ + profit. First time finding a great find

4 freaking dollars? Are you serious? SMH

#566 Mike_TV

Mike_TV

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:04 PM

All of the sudden I'm seeing these ads about going on some kind of crypto-metaphysical journey, creating a swap meet area--most of them don't have addresses, but they all feature video games and comic books.

I totally hit the weird swap meet one! I tried the one that seemed like the flea marketer and they totally turned out to be, but they also talked about how much they had enjoyed the games they were selling, so at least they weren't totally worthless people (still didn't buy anything, though). Then I tried a few more sales in the area; an older couple said they had a Nintendo packed away somewhere but didn't want to get it at and at another I bought a couple of Mario Kart RC cars off of a kid for $5 (I'm going to try to fix them up and make a little Mario Kart racetrack at MAGFest). Then I saw the swap meet person had updated their listing with an address, so I decided to try it before I had to get home (my wife needed the car at 10). I get up there and find that the woman locked herself out while setting up but still had some video game stuff out, so I managed to get all of the the stuff below for $35. Not a bad day, all and all, though I wish I'd had more time out.

6 28 yard sale

#567 Sinnbox

Sinnbox

Garage-sale/Thrift KING!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

What are those Purple Wavebirds? NonOEM I'm guessing?

#568 Mike_TV

Mike_TV

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

They're the controllers for the Mario Kart RC cars. Half the reason I bought them was because I was so enamored that they made the controllers look like actual GC ones.

#569 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

There's a really strange lack of sales the last couple weeks. Didn't have anything like this last year. Not just a lack advertising games, a lack advertising. I made the best route I could, I'll just have to keep a look out for signs.

www.vg-force.com

#570 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

Had a pretty awesome morning. Went out and got the following:

Microvision system in box (not sure if complete) w/ Block Buster and Block Buster manual. Does have the foam but not sure if this had a manual for the system itself, it probably did.

Pinball game for Microvision CIB

Total cost? $5.00.

Two SNES games: Full Throttle and Bass Masters Classic. $1.00 each, mainly grabbed them because both had dust covers.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (Xbox) $1.00

Atari 5200 with 6 controllers, track ball controller, and 8 games. Games are Ms Pac Man, Pac Man, Real Sports Tennis, Football, Frogger, Super Breakout, Jungle Hunt, Pole Position. All cords, haven't gotten to test yet. Total cost? $10.00. If the controllers all work thos will make me some nice money. Keeping the system and a few as well as the track ball but...

WWF Wrestlemania 2000 (N64): $00.25.

Grand Theft Auto (PS1) (disc only): $00.25

Metal Gear Solid (PS1): $00.50 (missing disc one, didn't realize until I got home...)

Star Wars Masters of Teras Kasi (PS1): $00.50

Red Asphalt (PS1): $00.50

Tekken (PS1): $00.50

Ninja Shadow of Darkness (PS1): $00.50

You Don't Know Jack Mock 2 (PS1): $00.50

Rogue Trip (PS1): $00.50

Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PS1): $00.50

Monster Rancher (PS1): $00.50

Pokemon Puzzle League CB (N64): $1.00 (no manual sadly)

Sonic CD (Sega CD), Ecco the Dolphin (Sega CD), Sega Arcade Classics (Sega CD), Dark Wizard (Sega CD): $10.00 total

Pretty good morning.

www.vg-force.com