Photo
- - - - -

Gamecube to Game Boy Micro Cable - Instructions in here

• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you purchase a Gamecube->Micro/GBA Link Cable at $25 shipped?

Would you purchase a Gamecube->Micro/GBA Link Cable at $25 shipped?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:01 PM

I matched the micro pins up with the GBA pins using the Micro->GBA Adapter Nintendo sells. Also, the colors Nintendo used for the link cable wiring was consistant between the GBA link cable and Micro link cable making it a little easier.

#32 Rocko

Rocko

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:42 PM

Wow, awesome. I don't have a Micro, nor do I plan on it, but if I did, I would definitely pay for this. Well done!

#33 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:15 AM

First post updated with new information regarding a successful test using a cheaper Nyko Gamecube->GBA cable.

Also, I found that powering the Micro through the Gamecube port won't be possible. None of the GBA link cables have the 7th & 8th wire required to hook into the 5V line coming from the GC controller port.

#34 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:30 AM

Damn, I wish I knew how to do this sort of stuff. Maybe I'll invest in one of those cold heat solder machines from Thinkgeek and learn how to do this. Killer job, Troz, this is amazing stuff.

Maybe this is a good place to ask this (slightly offtopic):

How safe is it, generally, to use third party power adapters/chargers? For example, if you get a card adapter from Nyko or Mad Katz or Intec for the DS or something. I tend to only go with first party stuff, but I always wonder if it's safe to use a third party component.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#35 SpottedNigel

SpottedNigel

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:58 AM

Ive never had a shorting problems with 3rd party adapters, but they always seem to be made shitty.

Also, coldheat is shitty, get a regular soldering machine.

shitty.

#36 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:12 AM

Looks real solid man, I like it. Be sure to let us all know when the plans are finalized and you are gonna start taking orders for selling or trading or whatever.

#37 erehwon

erehwon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

Damn, I wish I knew how to do this sort of stuff. Maybe I'll invest in one of those cold heat solder machines from Thinkgeek and learn how to do this. Killer job, Troz, this is amazing stuff.

I wouldn't bother with that cold heat thing. My dad picked up one of those awhile back and he found out that it was crap. Just get a regular soldering iron from radio shack.

#38 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:01 PM

I wouldn't bother with that cold heat thing. My dad picked up one of those awhile back and he found out that it was crap. Just get a regular soldering iron from radio shack.

I only considered it because it ended up on Thinkgeek, and I'd suspect their site to be fairly good and picking nerd gadgets to play with.

Oh well, good to know before I got one.

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#39 gforce007

gforce007

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:19 PM

Nintendo has been pretty stupid in not releasing a link cable for GC->GBM and if they werent going to bring out all the proper accessories, why the hell did they launch a new version of the gba anyway? Regardless, I adore my special edition famicom micro and I applaud what you've done. Very badass.

#40 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2006 - 02:20 AM

1/17 update: I've decided to make these in batches of 10. The first batch will hopefully be available by late next week. I'm using the Nyko cable to pair up the Micro link with. It allows for a much cleaner looking cable than hacking the Nintendo one. Price will still be $25. I'll have a photo of the final product early next week.

I will only begin to take orders once I have finished the first batch. I'll be updating the first post with that information when the time comes so keep an eye out next week on this thread if you want one of the first 10.

#41 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2006 - 02:36 AM

Hey Troz - I have a sealed Metroid Fusion. Would you do that + some cash for a trade? I want one of these cables. No, I need one. Need.

Psssst neeeeeeeeeed.

Posted Image

#42 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2006 - 02:40 AM

You've got a PM Strell

#43 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:34 AM

Final version of the cable:

Posted Image

The spliced wires are contained within the box on the rightmost side of the image. As you can see, it is a straight Gamecube->GB Micro cable.

#44 rdellw

rdellw

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:36 PM

Dude,I joined this place just for your cables! Assuming you can ship to the UK....

#45 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:47 PM

I'm sure we can figure something out. I don't have any experience with international shipping so I'll need some recommendations.

First batch of Micro link cables arrives today from Nintendo. I'll be posting ordering information for the first batch of 10 late Sunday at the earliest, assuming I find the time over the weekend to build them.

#46 cultivatingmass

cultivatingmass

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:06 PM

Damn, the final cable looks really nice.

Great work.

I'd probably be interested in one as well.

#47 tkidsterj

tkidsterj

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2006 - 04:01 AM

Haha, I also joined the forums just to get a chance to order one of these. I really hope this works out, the Micro would be great for Four Swords and Crystal Chronicles.

#48 SpottedNigel

SpottedNigel

Posted 21 January 2006 - 09:16 PM

I'm gonna try it the do-it-yourself way first, and then after that crshes and burs, probably throw some $ your way :)

Been playing Wind Waker with the Tingle Tuner and damn the old SP looks dark as hell.

#49 Matooine

Matooine

Posted 22 January 2006 - 07:01 PM

i would definitely be interested providing you can ship to the UK, also do you accept payment via paypal?

#50 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:44 AM

In reference to rdellw & Matooine: Does anyone have any recommendations for shipping to the UK?

I'd prefer payments be made via Paypal.

I'm still working on the cables (fingers hurt, need break). Hopefully I'll have the first batch ready to go tomorrow, pending me finishing the cables and getting the OK from another CAG member I shipped a "test" cable out to early last week. If the demand is strong, I figure I'll be able to get batches of 10 out every 1-2 weeks depending if Nintendo will continue to sell me the cables and not label me as a dealer.

#51 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:55 AM

In reference to rdellw & Matooine: Does anyone have any recommendations for shipping to the UK?

I'd prefer payments be made via Paypal.

I'm still working on the cables (fingers hurt, need break). Hopefully I'll have the first batch ready to go tomorrow, pending me finishing the cables and getting the OK from another CAG member I shipped a "test" cable out to early last week. If the demand is strong, I figure I'll be able to get batches of 10 out every 1-2 weeks depending if Nintendo will continue to sell me the cables and not label me as a dealer.

Sounds awesome, sign me up for one if possible, also once you get it all finialized make sure to let us all know what, if anything, you'd take in trade for them (I'm slim on cash and don't use paypal but I'll find a way either way).

#52 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:30 AM

Sounds awesome, sign me up for one if possible, also once you get it all finialized make sure to let us all know what, if anything, you'd take in trade for them (I'm slim on cash and don't use paypal but I'll find a way either way).

I'll be starting the list once I have all 10 ready for sale, so keep an eye on this thread on Monday evening. As for trades, I don't have too many wants at the moment but you can check out what I am looking for in my trade list (link in sig).

#53 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:35 PM

I'm going to begin taking orders at 7pm PST tonight. At that time I'll post a "password". If you want to purchase a cable you'll need to PM me that "password" and I will then send you information on my Paypal account.

I'm doing it this way to give everyone that wants a cable an equal shot of geting one of the first 10. Beyond the first 10 I will be keeping a list and sending out orders as I can complete them.

#54 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:00 PM

Greetings everyone. When I posted a request to Troz last week (post #41), he contacted me and asked that I test out the final version of his cable, being that I was the first response.

I received it this morning and have given it a run through using two different Micros on both Zelda: Four Swords and Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.

The cord works amazingly well. I had an SP hooked up as a comparison, and ran a few tests through each game. Loaded up Shadow Battle inside Zelda and played a few rounds, making sure onscreen gameplay and on-Micro gameplay was responsive and fluid. Moving between the two showed no slowdown or lag. The graphics were crisp and clean on the Micro, the control was spot-on, and the sound was clear as well - easily just as good as the SP. I killed my gf at Shadow Battle. I'm sure she enjoyed that.

Next, loaded up FF:CC. Again, same story here - clean controls, good respone, and no lag at all. The cable worked just as it should. I dare say Nintendo could not have created a better cable themselves. It is clean and very professional looking - you wouldn't know this was the work of someone with a soldering tool and some spare time on their hands.

So, I am happy to report that it worked incredibly well. I will be trying it out some more tonight, but I really feel no need to "test" it further - I just want to enjoy it and play some games with it. It really is excellent in every sense of the word, and I am positive others will be happy with the end product.

That all said, again Troz, I thank you for coming through on this cable for us. Perhaps after the initial orders die down, I might want to pick up a second one from you.

For now, everyone, be assured that the cable is of the highest quality and will not disappoint. Applause all around for our good CAG member Troz1820, as he has provided an excellent service to us all, filling a small gap created and left by the introduction of the Micro.

I salute you, good sir!

Posted Image

#55 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:00 AM

No more cables available.

#56 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:48 AM

Due to the lukewarm response, and the fact that I can no longer order GBM Link Cables through Nintendo, I'm afraid that this batch will be the only batch. I've still got 3 cables as of this post. If you're on the fence about one, and don't want to make one yourself, I'd suggest grabbing one now.

If for some reason I was able to get 10 additional orders beyond the 4 cables I have left, I could find other ways of getting the GBM link cables, but I'm only going to go to those lengths if I'm able to get 10 paid pre-orders.

I'm also open to trades for the cables...

#57 Matooine

Matooine

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:35 PM

any news on postage to UK yet? I would like one but i need a price so i can forward money on to you via Paypal.

Cheers

Matt

#58 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:46 PM

I PMd you Matt.

Regular CAGer's: Last chance for cables before I let the Newbies who've been PMing me (with zero posts) purchase the cables.

#59 ithigentel

ithigentel

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:04 PM

I'm curious. Why can't you order more from Nintendo, did they not like bulk orders?

My local circuit city had the nyko cables, and since I was ordering faceplates from nintendo for my roommate and myself, I ordered the other cable. Thanks for the thread, I hope I don't screw mine up.

#60 Troz1820

Troz1820

Pinball Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:23 PM

Nintendo does not like bulk orders. They state that their online store is for individual orders and not for resellers. I have ways around this if some more poeple wanted cables from me by having my friends and family order cables for me, but the demand simply doesn't seem to be there.

Good luck on your cable!