Photo
- - - - -

The CAG Runners Thread (all experience levels welcome)

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#91 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

16 miles today 2 hours 6 minutes

#92 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Did 7 miles for my long, slow run today. Furthest I've done to date.

Distance: 7.00 mi
Time: 1:07:30
Avg Pace: 9:38 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 200 ft
Calories: 850 C

#93 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

FYI-

If you want to register for a Rock N Roll Event. They are offering $20 off registration today only. The website sucks so it may take a while to get through.

#94 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Ran 25:52 for three miles last Saturday. I haven't been able to run much lately due to some minor injuries; I got bad shin splints and somehow hurt my neck. Felt great to run though. It also got really cold around here, which is perfect running weather for me. Hope to get back out this weekend.

Passed on the Zombie Run thing that's going on here this weekend. I found out it's 1.5 hours just to drive to it, which just isn't worth it. Registration is already $50. I'm not dropping what would amount to nearly $100 and several hours of my weekend for a novelty run.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#95 urmomlikesme

urmomlikesme

Random Fart Noise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Just seen this thread...I have lots of questions but have a final in a few hours...I'll be back
Posted Image

#96 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

Ran 8 miles yesterday and the last two longer runs I've had some tightness in what I believe my Achilles tendons. Looking online most say that it is painful, sore, etc. I don't have any soreness but I had a snapping sensation while walking downstairs for most of the morning until it seemed to loosen up. I'm going to do some additional stretching before and after running to see if that helps and I will talk to my aunt (who is a PT). I really can't let this sideline me too much since I'm prepping for a marathon.

#97 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

Been busy as shit this week with giving and grading finals, end of semsester meetings etc. so wasn't able to run until today. Got in a solid 4-miler, and will do five with my run group tomorrow.

Distance: 4.00 mi
Time: 37:12
Avg Pace: 9:17 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 100 ft
Calories: 486 C

#98 gr8asianman

gr8asianman

◕‿‿◕

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Saw this and was instantly reminded that I need to go running. Had the flu about two weeks ago then injured myself at my martial arts club, but I can't wait to get back to it!

fs_overall.png

sig.gif

#99 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

What's a good time for running a mile?

#100 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

Depends on the person, their age, and fitness level.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#101 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

Uhhh, well, lets say for the average, healthy person around 30 years of age. Lets not consider fitness level at the moment or anything like that.

#102 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Well, you have to consider fitness level. It will vary depending if someone is 30lbs overweight, 10 lbs overweight, average weight but no conditioning, etc. A good mile time can vary greatly depending on this factor. IMO, if someone is just starting to get into running, time shouldn't be the primary concern. Making sure they know their initial limits is highly important in order to avoid injury, especially early in the process. An early injury can be discouraging to the point that people will just quit instead of sticking with it. Some of the more experienced runners here may have a differing opinion but that's just my .02.

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-The Office season 8
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#103 kklems

kklems

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

Great thread guys. I'm a fairly serious runner (but not quite as serious as usickenme) - 3 marathons, 3 half marathons, and typically get out 4-5 times a week for a run when I'm not training. I've run into a nasty combo of plantar and some kind of hip flexor strain, so I'm resting for 2 weeks to see if that helps.

Question - do any of you use the Nike+ app to track your runs? I used to use a Garmin ForeRunner 405 to track my runs, but I think this app has gotten much, much better in the last couple of years and now I use it to track everything.

Old question but I found that the Nike+ was not particularly accurate. I normally ran with forerunner 305 or biked the same path with cyclometer and the garmin and the bike seemed pretty close but the Nike+ was off quite a bit, something like 3/4 mile over a ten mile stretch. In all fairness it has been awhile since I used it and they may have updated some of the software. One of these days I hope to get a garmin 910xt and try that. It is supposed to be the first true multi-sport watch. I was always paranoid about my 305 falling out from my swim cap

#104 Rumors

Rumors

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

So ive been getting back into running myself lately. I'm up to 8 miles an hour ( AS in running at a pace of 8mph for an hour)but have really been struggling breaking past this point for weeks now. I really want to get up to 9mph minimum by June,though ten would be ideal I'd be comfortable with nine.

Any tips?

#105 gr8asianman

gr8asianman

◕‿‿◕

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

I found the Nike+ app pretty inaccurate too. I used the Jillian Michaels app for a little while, which was decent for a free app, before I switched to using Runmeter.

fs_overall.png

sig.gif

#106 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Uhhh, well, lets say for the average, healthy person around 30 years of age. Lets not consider fitness level at the moment or anything like that.

Like mentioned above, I think you have to consider fitness level.

So ive been getting back into running myself lately. I'm up to 8 miles an hour ( AS in running at a pace of 8mph for an hour)but have really been struggling breaking past this point for weeks now. I really want to get up to 9mph minimum by June,though ten would be ideal I'd be comfortable with nine.

When I was trying to increase my speed I did something like this:

Mon - Regular pace, 3-5 miles
Tue - Sprint 1/4 mile, jog for 2.5x the time it took for the sprint, repeat for 10 sprints
Wed - Long run, slower pace, 5+ miles
Thu - Run near full speed (probably 90% max effort) for as far as possible, usually 1-2 miles
Fri - Regular pace, 3-5 miles
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#107 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

In general I found that phone apps aren't as accurate as a GPS watch. I have the Garmin 405 as noted before and have friends who say the Nike + watch works great as well.

Agreed that good mile time is a function of fitness level more than age as one has to do speed work (like that outlined by blindinglights above) to get their pace up.

I don't bother much with speed since I've just been running since late February and a lot of stuff I read said not to worry with speed the first year or so to build up a base and avoid injury. And I've been sticking with that as I have had some issues with my knees and feet at times.

No idea what my mile time is. Haven't done a run under 3 miles in months. Fastest avg. pace I"ve hit on a 3 miler is around 8:30, 4-7 milers I'm usually somewhere between 9-9:30. I'd guess I could bang out a single mile in 7 something. I'm 34, 5'9" and 153lbs currently.

Slept through my group run this morning, some of the meds I have to take after getting a lump on my lip removed (scar tissue around a saliva gland from biting in hard a couple months back) make me drowsy. Will get out for a run later this afternoon after doing some work though.

Edited by dmaul1114, 15 December 2012 - 07:27 PM.

#108 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Like mentioned above, I think you have to consider fitness level.

Ok fine, average fitness level.

#109 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

From a quick google search, a 10 minute mile seems to be the common time listed for "average" fitness, and a 7:30-8 mile is considered pretty good for an average joe running regularly for a while. Anything faster than that is getting into people who are training for shorter races etc. and are well above average fitness. Or a serious marathoner as a 7:30 pace would be like 3 hours, 16 minute time on a marathon which is pretty solid.

But really, not many runners bang out fast miles. Unless they're in track and running 1500 meter races etc. Running a mile isn't much excercise, so most people are doing longer runs, speed work etc. and not worrying about how fast they can run a single mile, as the goal even for competitive runners is getting mile pace up over longer distances rather than maxing out a single mile run.

#110 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

New long run of 8 miles today.

Distance: 8.00 mi
Time: 1:16:32
Avg Pace: 9:34 min/mi
Elevation Gain: 293 ft
Calories: 983 C

#111 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

Any tips?

intervals my friend 1 min @ 9 mph/ 1 minute off. Try for 6 times, work your way up to 10X then start adding minutes.

#112 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:29 AM

But really, not many runners bang out fast miles. Unless they're in track and running 1500 meter races etc. Running a mile isn't much excercise, so most people are doing longer runs, speed work etc. and not worrying about how fast they can run a single mile, as the goal even for competitive runners is getting mile pace up over longer distances rather than maxing out a single mile run.

depends... I know quite a few serious runners who do mile repeats pretty regularly (including me). They help for anything from 5ks to the marathon. I did a workout last week of 3 X 1 mile all at 5:48

I would say your estimate 10 min average mle w/o training for adults 20-50 is probably good.

#113 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:10 AM

Oh yeah. I wasn't thinking of mile repeats and things like that. Just meant going out and trying to max out a single mile as fast as possible.

I doubt I'll ever get into speed work, repeats very seriously etc. since I'm not competitve with my running and just do it to de-stress and stay in shape. I may train for a half marathon sometime, but doubt I'll ever do a full. Don't really have time for that much training and not sure how my knees and feet would hold up with that amount of running.

Edited by dmaul1114, 16 December 2012 - 05:27 AM.

#114 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:58 AM

4.8 miles at 42:25 this morning. I'd add another 1:45 for the remaining .2, so 44:10 if I kept that pace, which is a lot faster than the Turkey Trot I did. Really happy with it.

Hoping to pull out a longer run next time I have the opportunity.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#115 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

Problem is that I go to the gym on my lunch break, so I only have an hour to bang everything out. So my miles have to be quick.

A little over a month ago I was at 11 minutes. Friday, I ran it in 7:20. My goal is to get it just under seven and then working to maintain that speed.

#116 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:31 AM

Problem is that I go to the gym on my lunch break, so I only have an hour to bang everything out. So my miles have to be quick.

A little over a month ago I was at 11 minutes. Friday, I ran it in 7:20. My goal is to get it just under seven and then working to maintain that speed.

Quick miles can be an effective workout BUT their range is pretty minimal. By that you will only improve on your ability to run a mile pretty fast and not your overall fitness (aerobically)

The best approach is running at a variety of paces. Even slow miles help the system.

I encourage anyone to read Hadd's approach to distance running. http://www.angio.net...al/run/hadd.pdf

#117 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

Signed up for the Indy Mini Marathon, of course I'm nowhere near ready for it. I used to run 10 miles daily, but that has been some time ago. Now I'm a desk jocky and it's difficult to get motivated. Maybe the motivation should be not killing myself trying to complete the race without training!
Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#118 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Quick miles can be an effective workout BUT their range is pretty minimal. By that you will only improve on your ability to run a mile pretty fast and not your overall fitness (aerobically)

The best approach is running at a variety of paces. Even slow miles help the system.

I encourage anyone to read Hadd's approach to distance running. http://www.angio.net...al/run/hadd.pdf

I usually take Wednesdays and weekends off. Maybe on Wednesdays I'll go and instead of doing my fast mile and then hitting the weights, I'll just focus on a nice, long slow run.

#119 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

That's a good plan. Really need at least one longer, slower run to really boost fitness and burn calories. You'll generally burn 100-150 calories per mile unless you're really pushing pace or running steep hills so you just can't get a lot out of quick miles beyond doing repeats to help up your pace on longer runs.

I have a flexible work schecule in terms of what time I have to be at the office, so I usually run in mornings before going in a day or two a week (and try to lift before another day or two a week) and try to get in a long run and another lifting session on the weekends.

#120 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

10 miles today while watching the Broncos beat up the Ravens. I tell you, the time just melts away while watching football on the treadmill.