Amazon to raise minimum order to $35 for free shipping

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#91 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

There isn't a reason at all why Amazon bumped up the price. They are the world's #1 online distribution service, and make billions of dollars. 

But those saying that this is the nail in Amazon's coffin are delirious. 

To be fair, Amazon is not all that profitable. So I'm sure shipping and warehousing take up more of the share of their cost structure than some of us realize.

However from a customer point of view - it still sort of sucks. $25 vs $35 is a 40% increase per transaction. Not insignificant.

#92 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

There isn't a reason at all? 

Yes there is; to increase profit margins on items that are already razor thin.

Regardless if it is called FSSS it's not free for Amazon. They have to make up the shipping costs somewhere. I've received many items from them that literally must have cost more to ship to me then I paid---even with logistically sound shipping hubs.

Why should I as a customer want to return profit margin to them? I'm only interested in finding the best deal. It's irrelevant to me whether the item ultimately sells for a profit or loss, I only care about MY bottom line. Not Amazon.coms or anyone else. I go where the best price is. Period. Which is why I buy blu-rays from anywhere (but same applies to games or anything else). I will only buy during sales, or clearances, or if I have a coupon. Doesn't matter whether it's Fry's.com. Deepdiscount.com. ImportCDS.com. BestBuy.com. Target. ANYWHERE. I will buy from any legitimate retailer at any time if there is an item I want for the right price, there is no reason at all for me to be loyal to just Amazon.

Obviously there are realities with shipping. It is not a mystery why Best Buy could not continue to do free shipping with no minimum as they had for a couple of years. I voiced my displeasure with that, but obviously I've known that would inevitably be temporary (my attitude with that one was more of a "it was nice while it lasted", and believe me it was very nice). With Amazon, they've been $25 for as long as I can remember, like decades, so moving to $35 is sort of a big deal. 

#93 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

Oh good. Add on items are still $25.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#94 TheRainCoat

TheRainCoat

Rain rain windy rain.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:20 AM

This is really just a bait and switch tactic by Amazon.

#95 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:00 AM

I've had Prime for awhile, so I can't even remember the last time I even had to worry about this.  Sucks for those who don't use Prime though.

Posted Image

#96 rocko562

rocko562

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:55 AM

So has it changed yet? or are they doing it in the future?

Get free steam games and amazon gift cards from tremorgames.com. made over $400 in free stuff!
http://www.tremorgames.com/?ref=52015

#97 Rozz

Rozz

We Trippy Mane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:58 AM

So has it changed yet? or are they doing it in the future?

It's in effect right now.

#98 TooMuchCoolness

TooMuchCoolness

Deep Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

Doesn't affect me since I only get PSN cards from Amazon.

NighT_Ryder31.png

#99 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:20 AM

Doesn't matter much to me. Most of my orders are $35 and if I need filler I can add Listerine PocketPaks anyway. Don't stream and don't use Kindle so Prime is useless for me.

#100 Tsundere

Tsundere

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:11 AM

Better to pay for prime now. Especially if student at the discount prime.

Honestly for fixing & building things for people, the ability to order items and get it next day for 3.99$ an item or 2 days free has paid for itself tenfold. Plus Instant video feels the gap between netflix if your hunting for things to watch.

I had to order a CCTV Card for client, to get the card in time by other sellers on amazon would have cost $100 to 1 DAY SHIP THE CARD! Found a prime eligible one and I didnt die of heart attack.

3DS FC: 1306-5599-3787 ~ PM w/FC if you add!

521570.png

#101 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:33 AM

This sucks as a buyer, but the third-party seller in me is pleased. Hopefully more of the Fulfilled by Amazon listings will crash and burn due to less combination orders; plus you can't trust Amazon's L.L.C.'s New items not to be reseals anymore either. It all adds up to more individual purchases from the little guy :twisted:

The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#102 Rozz

Rozz

We Trippy Mane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:44 AM

This sucks as a buyer, but the third-party seller in me is pleased. Hopefully more of the Fulfilled by Amazon listings will crash and burn due to less combination orders; plus you can't trust Amazon's L.L.C.'s New items not to be reseals anymore either. It all adds up to more individual purchases from the little guy :twisted:

You received resealed items from Amazon directly?

#103 Versafied

Versafied

Formerly known as vlv723

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:58 PM

So, you're OK with spending $95.88 over a year's time, though not $79 in one sitting?  I guess a "convenience fee" of $16.88 over a year works in this case. 

No longer a mod? Anyway, I do understand the extra cost in it. Eventually I'll have $79 and not to worry about it for a year.

My First Ever Lowball: Live now! Ends 6/28!  http://www.cheapassg...ll-auction-v10/

#104 EdgeCrusher36

EdgeCrusher36

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

Unless you don't buy stuff except every few months or something, prime is the best option anyway.  Paying $7 a month for free 2 day shipping is well worth it for me even if I only buy 2 things a month from them, no matter the amount.  Plus I don't have to drive 15 minutes or more to Best Buy, Toys R Us, or Walmart either.  So all of you saying "oh death of amazon, glorious day" can Fuck right off :D

#105 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

Oh good. Add on items are still $25.

This got me confused.  So I need $25 in an order to get Add on items to even ship?  Also have to throw in $10 worth of eligible stuff in order to get free shipping.

#106 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

This got me confused. So I need $25 in an order to get Add on items to even ship? Also have to throw in $10 worth of eligible stuff in order to get free shipping.

Yeah.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#107 Why_So_Serious

Why_So_Serious

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:22 PM

I've seen many games in Amazon Warehouse under $35 that don't qualify for free shipping while some others do.  I hope that's just a crazy glitch..

#108 mikeyD

mikeyD

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

Can you pay with gift cards when purchasing a prime subscription?

#109 Silent Hell

Silent Hell

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:30 AM

Can you pay with gift cards when purchasing a prime subscription?

No.