Photo
- - - - -

CAGcast #206: The Star Wars of Your Generation

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121 GB330033

GB330033

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:08 AM

I absolutely agree with you guys that pricing is a "gut" reaction. As you were talking about Limbo I was thinking to myself that it sounded like a $10 game and was blown away when it was revealed that it is $15! If it makes it to a deal of the week then I might get it, but at $15 it's not worth it

#122 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:19 AM

I listened to the last 4 or so CAGcasts in a row, so they're all a bit of a blur to me. One of the episodes brought up an issue with how they posted shit that was absolutely unrelated to games.

http://kotaku.com/55...uld-hurt-a-flea

I think the bar has just been raised.

#123 Issue13

Issue13

Swim Instructor

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:01 AM

Pulling off a fatality *is* a skill in MortalKombat. It would be fine to have one or two quick time fatalities... but there should also be traditional skill based fatalities that are worth more points, are more gruesome, etc., etc.
"I love the new generation of gaming. It's made everything from the last gen so cheap!"

#124 sinewav

sinewav

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

People have been saying "_____ is the new Star Wars" since 1977. It's nothing to get worked up about. It just means that whatever they are trying to sell cannot stand on it's own.

Agree 100%, anyone who compares their IP to star wars is just looking for a headline. Kotick tends to have bigmouth-itis so this is not that surprising coming from him. I'm sure he wishes that COD was the Star Wars of his generation, but there's another little known IP who can challenge him for that title called Halo.

#125 Manloi

Manloi

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:35 AM

Hello! CAGcast

I got my Spec Ops: The line multiplayer private demo!

Before playing the Spec Ops Demo, I was so excited about the game by watching the E3 trailer and reveal trailer.

Finally, I got my private demo on Friday. I was so disappointed.

The problem is, the control is not sensitive enough. The ugly pop up is everywhere. This demo is like a mess.

I am wondering, did you guys play the demo? How do you feel about this demo? Am I being the single person twho hate this demo?

Keep up the good work, love the CAGCAST

#126 GameHobo

GameHobo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:51 AM

Love CAGCAST!

#127 JustYourAverageJoe

JustYourAverageJoe

Dances With Deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:17 AM

Shipwreck:

Since you (understandably) don't want to sell your advance review copies of games, have you thought about finding other ways of getting rid of them? I don't know what kind of understanding you may have with the publishers regarding what you can and can't do with review copies of their games, so I'm not sure how feasible any of my ideas may be. But I think there are some creative and constructive ways to get rid of them.

Have you thought of perhaps giving them away through the podcast? I think it would only serve as good advertisement for the game, publisher, and even the site/CAGcast, because everyone loves free stuff and giveaways. Maybe you guys could raffle them off, or perhaps even sell copies signed by people related to the project, to help a charity like Child's Play? The possibilities for getting rid of any unwanted games in positive ways seem pretty limitless. I think you guys could come up with some really awesome ideas if you put your heads together.

Not to play Devil's Advocate, but in the Atari/NES/Genesis era, you had to read the manual for the story. I'm pretty sure it counts.

Back in the 20s, movies gave very basic story through the use of text-only interludes. Does that mean movies nowadays should still do that? Or have we come to expect spoken dialogue and orchestrated music from our movies? But then again, don't we allow some movies to break conventions for stylistic or entertainment purposes? It's kind of hard to say, I guess.

I'm just thinking aloud here, so feel free to disregard me, but I think games doled out their story through the manual due to primitive design philosophies and technology. Games have evolved quite a bit since then, and expectations have changed. I don't think it's unreasonable to want and expect more from modern games. I'm not expecting Tolstoy or Dostoyevsky, but context for what I'm doing and why does help me enjoy a game more. Think of Portal. It has a simple story that uses plot and monologue sparingly to communicate what and why to the player, and it works very well.

#128 dohmai

dohmai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

HOoray!

#129 chucketychuck

chucketychuck

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:52 PM

great pod cast just one thing, when's the next one?

#130 msdmoney

msdmoney

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:41 AM

Thanks for developing a mobile version of the website instead of an iphone app. Not everybody owns an iphone, especially people who are on other networks. Apple, Apple, Apple, it all you guys talk about when it comes to computers.

Maybe now that Steam is on Apple we can get Steam ID's added to the profiles instead of xfire id's.

Pulling off a fatality *is* a skill in MortalKombat. It would be fine to have one or two quick time fatalities... but there should also be traditional skill based fatalities that are worth more points, are more gruesome, etc., etc.

thats a bullshit excuse im no hardcore mk player but it doesnt take much to find one character you like and learn their moves. if he can pull off a fireball in street fighter or a tiger uppercut why is one mk fatality too much to learn? hes stated time and again that hes a lazy gamer who often plays games on easy just to get through them.

Why is there always so much resistance to making these games more accessible? I think the QTE fatality is the one time where a QTE actually makes sense in a game, the fatality is really just an arbitrary set of button combinations anyways, why make players search out a menu, moves list, or youtube video to figure out the game? Don't make getting to the fun such a difficult process for the average gamer.

There are over 40 $15 or $20 games on XBLA, so they are pretty common since most of those came out in the past two years. Microsoft needs to start treating its marketplace like a marketplace and allow price drops so some of the $15 games can get a new life at $10 since only successful games can drop their price right now when they become Arcade Hits, which isn't a solution to that issue. As an example, the two Penny Arcade games are $15 and $20 on XBLA, $5 each on Steam, and you can get a $15 bundle of both episodes on PSN.

Agreed, I have a much bigger issue with the price rigidity of the XBLA marketplace, than I do with any one games initial release price.

#131 JustYourAverageJoe

JustYourAverageJoe

Dances With Deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:06 AM

There are over 40 $15 or $20 games on XBLA, so they are pretty common since most of those came out in the past two years. Microsoft needs to start treating its marketplace like a marketplace and allow price drops so some of the $15 games can get a new life at $10 since only successful games can drop their price right now when they become Arcade Hits, which isn't a solution to that issue. As an example, the two Penny Arcade games are $15 and $20 on XBLA, $5 each on Steam, and you can get a $15 bundle of both episodes on PSN.

This is too true. One of the reasons Steam's store has enjoyed so much success is their willingness to adjust prices downward over time (and huge sales every so often doesn't hurt either.) The fact that there is a map pack for Perfect Dark Zero that still costs money is just sad. DLC may not need to be discounted for the same reasons that B&M stores use (i.e. space), but the underlying principle should still be the same. What people won't buy at one price, they might at a lower one.

I know that I'd be more than willing to buy DLC for several older games if they were discounted. But charging me the full original price for content in games that are several years old and long past their prime just doesn't make sense. If that DLC isn't selling, and I can't imagine it is, why not lower the price? Some sales are better than none, right? Besides, it could breathe new life into an old game and even act as a marketing push for the newer game. It seems like common sense.