The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

• Please log in to reply
1874 replies to this topic

#1771 JP

JP

Proud member of the Ravens Nation!

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

On the no TV series thing, I can totally see CBS fucking that all up. I think it would've been interesting to see JJ Abrams doing a multi-avenue story, widening out the new universe. He could've screwed it up sure, but CBS and Paramount not getting together royally screwed the fans. Now Disney has wrapped him up for the Star Wars set, good on them. I like how Disney at least sees the potential and has their own avenues to explore and develop a story/universe in multiple formats. I mean that's one reason they locked down Whedon for Marvel, he has the familiarity with the source material, has worked in multiple formats and has the nerd cred. Disney's always been an evil empire but they got that way by being able to appropriately exploit their properties. Paramount/CBS has really screwed the pooch with the Star Trek franchise. I believe MGM/SciFi hosed Stargate as well.

all-banner.jpg

CAG Apple Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/WWF IDs

CAG Game Database & You - Small little tutorial I guess you would call it.

#1772 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

I think the unofficial rule we have here is we can take off spoiler tags after opening weekend..so by Monday we can talk about it naked. If you haven't seen it by then, too bad and stay out of this thread! Hey OP , change the title so it says we are talking about the movie!

Anyways as for the TV show.....honestly Riker is too old to have adventures with Troi on the Titan. (should have happened instead of Enterprise).

I don't even know why
Spoiler

#1773 thedolphinsrule

thedolphinsrule

It's Morphin Time!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:45 AM

You Fuck with the bull, you get the horn.
Posted Image

334204.png
12.pngufz.gif

#1774 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:02 AM

So I just got back from seeing Into Darkness and have a few comments/questions.

Spoiler

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1775 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:42 AM

So I just got back from seeing Into Darkness and have a few comments/questions.

Spoiler

Good points.

Spoiler

#1776 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

That speech by Kirk felt like it was just Abram's way of squeezing in the opening narration from the series.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1777 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:56 PM

From reading the spoilers, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy it.

I don't really see why this series needed a reboot, and even then it just feels like a JJ Abrams' fanfic that's been made because he's so popular.

#1778 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:57 AM

I don't really see why this series needed a reboot, and even then it just feels like a JJ Abrams' fanfic that's been made because he's so popular.

I'm really worried about Star Wars. Everyone can hate on Lucas for his post-trilogy work, but I still have a feeling they will hold up better than what's to come.

#1779 Syranth

Syranth

Formerly WormFOODx

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

Why does the new series need to go back to its roots? Why does it need a Savior? I'm a huge fan of the original series and I think the new series is fine, in fact is just what the series needs. Sadly I think that with the state that sci fi is currently in we need to look for new ways to bring new fans and or we won't have good sci fi anymore.

Sorry if I seem hostile, I just think that reboots need to be their own thing because I've seen the past and I don't need to see it again. In fact I almost hope that we don't see Kahn in any of the movies.

Everything I said here was right, unfortunately Hollywood isn't me.

I was so insulted by this movie I almost walked out. I will post my full spoiler tagged write up tomorrow, I'm just too pissed to talk about it right now.

If you have no idea of Star Trek roots - 8/10
If you are a Star Trek fan (even a next gen fan like me that respects the roots) - 4/10

One last thing, I'm usually a fan of J.J. Abrams, but holy crap stay away from Star Wars!!!! OMG!!!!

#1780 cancermatt

cancermatt

CAG @ 360Voice.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Love the thread, but checking out for a bit (since I won't be watching Into the Darkness for a while). Until then, enjoy this anti-trekkie quote from History Channel's Star Trek: Secrets of the Universe:

"We couldn't make this movie for fans of Star Trek; we had to make it for fans of movies." -- JJ Abrams

then he turns around and says:

"As a kid, I was more inspired by science-fiction, than actual science."

I have a feeling after his one Star Wars movie, he's done with the Star Trek Universe, hopefully not screwing up both franchises, but I'm afraid the damage will be done.
Posted Image

Please CML: Thanks! :)

#1781 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

Guys remember something.

JJ Abrams is NOT A STAR TREK FAN.
He IS a star WARS fan. He admitted he did NOT even UNDERSTAND Trek.

His trek SHOULD be called Star Trek Wars.

That explains everthing. No need to repeat 4 year old rants

#1782 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

For all the blame that Abrams gets, and not completely undeservingly, Lindoff deserves some of that ire too. 5 bucks says he's involved in the next Star Wars movies.:rofl:
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#1783 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Keep Calm Chive On

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

JJ Abrams saves the Star Trek franchise...

...everyone finds reasons to complain about him.

Check my YouTube channel for exotic cars: https://www.youtube.com/user/DKGarage

#1784 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

JJ Abrams saves the Star Trek franchise...

...everyone finds reasons to complain about him.

He did not "save" Star Trek. He made a NEW Star Trek. Two vastly different things.

These might explain the nerd rage if you dont get it.

Why people are mad:
Trek for Dummies
A bitter trekker on STID:
NYP on STID

In short, old Trek was a thinking mans show. It delt with social issues and the human condition. ACTION took a back seat to showing a better world. This new Trek is just the Michael Bay version with some Star Wars thrown in. Its hugely entertaining for a society who is entertained my reality TV shows, watching other people who have have problems rather than fixing their own.

I liked it as a fun ride, but its not REAL Star Trek

Edited by 6er, 19 May 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#1785 JP

JP

Proud member of the Ravens Nation!

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

To be fair to Abrams, the supposed plans he had could've led to proper Trek coming back via TV and other mediums. The action pack Trek in the movies bring a new audience in, then show real Trek on the small screen. All speculation of course.

all-banner.jpg

CAG Apple Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/WWF IDs

CAG Game Database & You - Small little tutorial I guess you would call it.

#1786 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

To be fair to Abrams, the supposed plans he had could've led to proper Trek coming back via TV and other mediums. The action pack Trek in the movies bring a new audience in, then show real Trek on the small screen. All speculation of course.

Yeah....but considering it took 4 years for those plans to be revealed after the fact, I cant help but wonder if that was a CYA moment. Ortz ans kurtzman should know that if those plans had been made public there would have been a fanbase rally for it. And Trek fans get stuff done.

Fans are responsible for keeping it alive for basically everything after TOS season 2, despite Paramount and Viacoms tries to kill or change it until 2009.

Did anyone read that UPN execs told Berman to do stuff feature bands of the week in the NX mess hall.....like One Tree Hill.[friday post that starts "Hi, everyone"

That is supposed to be in the season 3 Ent Blu Ray special features.

Edited by 6er, 19 May 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#1787 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Keep Calm Chive On

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

I dont think this is a spoiler more like a new effect...

...anyone like the new blue warp trail?

Check my YouTube channel for exotic cars: https://www.youtube.com/user/DKGarage

#1788 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

So I went to see it again this morning...then during the movie , my brother texted me and wanted to see it with me at his theater near his house an hour away. So I had to leave in the scene where
Spoiler
:-\

Anyways noticed a few more things by sitting up close to the screen.
Spoiler

#1789 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

I dont think this is a spoiler more like a new effect...

...anyone like the new blue warp trail?

It's nice..but I honestly don't like the new in warp effect. Doesn't give you time to admire the beauty of the new ship.

#1790 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

You might want to read the prologue comics to the movie. It answers a few of your questions.

And yes, the mini emblems were in the first movie.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

#1791 thedolphinsrule

thedolphinsrule

It's Morphin Time!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:16 PM

You might want to read the prologue comics to the movie. It answers a few of your questions.

And yes, the mini emblems were in the first movie.

Didn't know there was a new set of comics for this movie? Where can I view them at?

334204.png
12.pngufz.gif

#1792 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

It does seem like I remember some rule about dropping out of war too quickly or something.
Spoiler

#1793 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:33 AM

Well the Enterprise D could do 9.6 for 12 hours. In the JJ Verse, he kind of re-writes the book on the smallest things. I thought you couldn't walk/run once the transporter beam locks on to you...It's like in previous star trek episodes (any series), once the beam gets a hold of you, you freeze.
Spoiler

All of this because of Spock and Nero! Just by them arriving changes everything even though non of them gave the past future tech!

Edited by ITDEFX, 20 May 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#1794 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:03 AM

Well the Enterprise D could do 9.6 for 12 hours. In the JJ Verse, he kind of re-writes the book on the smallest things. I thought you couldn't walk/run once the transporter beam locks on to you...It's like in previous star trek episodes (any series), one's the beam gets a hold of you, you freeze.

Spoiler

All of this because of Spock and Nero! Just by them arriving changes everything even though non of them gave the past future tech!

Well, the Klingons DID have 20 years to study Nero's ship. Not to mention that the past they went to was different as well.;)
dohdough.png

#1795 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

So I went to see it again this morning...then during the movie , my brother texted me and wanted to see it with me at his theater near his house an hour away. So I had to leave in the scene where

Spoiler
:-\

Anyways noticed a few more things by sitting up close to the screen.
Spoiler

Making it up and playing fast and loose with "technobabble" is nothing new to Star Trek. Anyone remember Borg nanites? Star Trek has always relied too heavily on bending/breaking their$own rules.

Well the Enterprise D could do 9.6 for 12 hours. In the JJ Verse, he kind of re-writes the book on the smallest things. I thought you couldn't walk/run once the transporter beam locks on to you...It's like in previous star trek episodes (any series), once the beam gets a hold of you, you freeze.

Spoiler

Well, there was one bit of technology they mention in Into Darkness
Spoiler

#1796 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

He did not "save" Star Trek. He made a NEW Star Trek. Two vastly different things.

These might explain the nerd rage if you dont get it.

Why people are mad:
Trek for Dummies
A bitter trekker on STID:
NYP on STID

In short, old Trek was a thinking mans show. It delt with social issues and the human condition. ACTION took a back seat to showing a better world. This new Trek is just the Michael Bay version with some Star Wars thrown in. Its hugely entertaining for a society who is entertained my reality TV shows, watching other people who have have problems rather than fixing their own.

I liked it as a fun ride, but its not REAL Star Trek

I have to say, I've enjoyed these Star Treks, I think the hardcore people are over thinking what Star Trek is/was. In the end, it's just entertainment. To say he didn't save Star Trek is silly, he definitely at least put it back on peoples' minds again.
mytradelist:
http://www.cheapassg...864#post2614864

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#1797 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

Son of a bitch....so there was a refit...geez thanks for mentioning it on screen :bomb:

I honestly would not have mind if the Enterprise was destroyed in this one. They could have removed the "remake" scene with Kirk in the warp core scene. I agree with what a lot of people said online, you can't REMAKE that particular scene because we have no established history with the characters to really connect with them and give us emotion.

#1798 eLefAdEr

eLefAdEr

All Systems Go

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

Saw ST:ID in standard 3D today, visually impressive and sound was excellent. Besides a few small creases in the plot, the one thing I had trouble believing was
Spoiler

Otherwise, I recommend seeing this one in theaters for the 3D if you can afford it, I was thoroughly entertained.

#1799 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:03 AM

Saw ST:ID in standard 3D today, visually impressive and sound was excellent. Besides a few small creases in the plot, the one thing I had trouble believing was

Spoiler

Otherwise, I recommend seeing this one in theaters for the 3D if you can afford it, I was thoroughly entertained.

Haha, isn't that what I said earlier? btw it's monday so no more spoiler tags. You are truly losing a lot of detail when seeing a movie in 3d as it is darker and not as sharp as seeing it in 2d. When I saw it in 2d yesterday I could see more without the cheap thrills of 3d.

Unfortunately if you ever want to see it on a big screen, like an imax at AMC they force the 3d on you :(

Hey...where is the crew quarters?

#1800 eLefAdEr

eLefAdEr

All Systems Go

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:11 AM

Haha, isn't that what I said earlier? btw it's monday so no more spoiler tags. You are truly losing a lot of detail when seeing a movie in 3d as it is darker and not as sharp as seeing it in 2d. When I saw it in 2d yesterday I could see more without the cheap thrills of 3d.

Unfortunately if you ever want to see it on a big screen, like an imax at AMC they force the 3d on you :(

Hey...where is the crew quarters?

I don't know about losing detail, of course I haven't seen it in 2D yet but I certainly didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. I'll compare when it comes to :br:.

And yeah, it wasn't until after I posted that I saw your same comments about the orbit distance at the end.