6639 replies to this topic

#1861 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

This can't get out soon enough:

Nyko preparing GamePad battery extender, doubles play time

November 29th, 2012 Posted in News, Posted by Valay, Wii U | No Comments » Posted Image
Nyko is working on an accessory for the Wii U GamePad – known as “U Boost” – which promises to extend the battery life of the controller. Supposedly, the new rechargeable lithium polymer battery doubles the GamePad’s play time.
Amazon UK lists a November 30 release date for U Boost. You’ll be able to use the existing Wii U GamePad AC adaptor with the new battery.

-I checked amazon's US sited and while it's listed, it just says it's unavailable.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#1862 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Either way, I'm in no rush. Either a big incentive needs to show up, a big sale of some kind needs to show up (some retailers sidestep this, such as Target giving store gift cards for Apple products), I get it as a gift from someone, or some serious game announcements occur relatively soon.

Well, games will ultimately drive sales. As I said, they have a pretty solid launch lineup, but no killer app yet. Once they find that game, it will probably do gangbusters.

I believe that there will DEFINITELY be a price drop prior to the next holiday season. No way this can compete with the nextbox without it.

Assuming Microsoft actually does release something during the next holiday season. So far, all we have are vague rumors.
Posted Image

#1863 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

This can't get out soon enough:

Nyko preparing GamePad battery extender, doubles play time

November 29th, 2012 Posted in News, Posted by Valay, Wii U | No Comments » Posted Image
Nyko is working on an accessory for the Wii U GamePad – known as “U Boost” – which promises to extend the battery life of the controller. Supposedly, the new rechargeable lithium polymer battery doubles the GamePad’s play time.
Amazon UK lists a November 30 release date for U Boost. You’ll be able to use the existing Wii U GamePad AC adaptor with the new battery.

-I checked amazon's US sited and while it's listed, it just says it's unavailable.

If it's somewhere in the $10-$20 range, I'll definitely pick one up. If it's more expensive than that, I can deal with the semi-minor inconvenience of plugging it in while I play, or taking a little break while it charges. Looks like the UK listing is for £20, so heres hoping that it eventually comes stateside for $20...
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1864 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

Assuming Microsoft actually does release something during the next holiday season. So far, all we have are vague rumors.

Yeah, I doubt we will see anything congeal by 2013, perhaps 2014 at the earliest, for both Microsoft and Sony. Their software and hardware are still selling well, and other than the Wii U reclaiming the market lost in the past two years for Nintendo, I don't see a reason why either the PS3/360 would want to (or even need to) have a new console launch in 2013.

Also, if there were to release a new console next year, wouldn't they of advertised it this year to prevent people from buying the Wii U? Or perhaps they don't think it's strong enough competition to warrant the press releases on the successors, which circles back again to why they would want to release a new console now anyways.

Long story short, with no new competition, I think the Wii U price will hold for next year, but we'll probably see some value bundles at B&M stores.

#1865 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Yeah, I doubt we will see anything congeal by 2013, perhaps 2014 at the earliest, for both Microsoft and Sony. Their software and hardware are still selling well, and other than the Wii U reclaiming the market lost in the past two years for Nintendo, I don't see a reason why either the PS3/360 would want to (or even need to) have a new console launch in 2013.

I could see Microsoft because they have priorities other than just gaming. Given everything with Windows 8 and WP8 and Surface, I could see them developing a new console to tie into all of that.
Posted Image

#1866 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

I just bought a BF PS3 today, because out of the blue my kids asked for a PS3 (or Wii U). Well they are only going to get one and I must admit that the $200 I paid for the PS3 (with 4 games!) is a pretty big draw vs. $350 for the Wii U with 1 game and a launch (i.e. "small") library. So the Wii U might be getting returned. But I'm really undecided anyway. I'd like the Wii U, but then I'd also like a PS3. Darn. On the other hand we have the 360 and so the PS3 is largely redundant, but there are some good exclusives....

Either way we'll end up with a Wii U at some point. Maybe it won't be until a price break, though.

Edited by crunchewy, 29 November 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#1867 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

I think it's fair to assume good 3rd party support won't last more than 2 years like with the Wii, Gamecube, &N64. We all know the Xbox 3 comes out next year but there is no word yet on if the PS4 comes out next year. 4 games for $200 is good. I'd wait on the Wii U. In fact I am waiting on it. Try to get exclusives for the PS3. Go get the Uncharted games. Also consider the Wonderbooks thing if your kids are at the right age or if they aren't and you want it. -)

Edited by Blaster man, 30 November 2012 - 01:07 AM.

#1868 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

I just bought a BF PS3 today, because out of the blue my kids asked for a PS3 (or Wii U). Well they are only going to get one and I must admit that the $200 I paid for the PS3 (with 4 games!) is a pretty big draw vs. $350 for the Wii U with 1 game and a launch (i.e. "small") library. So the Wii U might be getting returned. But I'm really undecided anyway. I'd like the Wii U, but then I'd also like a PS3. Darn. On the other hand we have the 360 and so the PS3 is largely redundant, but there are some good exclusives....

Either way we'll end up with a Wii U at some point. Maybe it won't be until a price break, though.

I totally understand the reasoning behind buying a $200 PS3, especially with so many games, but I spent $350 on a WiiU (with game) that I'll hopefully be able to use for 4-6 years. The PS3's life will be effectively over in a year or two. Same reason why I get that people will wait a year or two for a price drop on the WiiU, but the extra $50 (or $100, whatever) I'll lose by buying full price on launch day is worth it for me getting that extra year or two of time with the console.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1869 pseudonem

pseudonem

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

Just dropped by to say that I'm glad Nintendo is pretty much keeping up with demand. Hopefully some flippers get burned in the process. http://www.ebay.com/...=item43b66abe6b :)

Also, I can't wait till my kid opens the Wii U on Christmas Day! Too bad Nintendo decided to push Pikmin 3 back to March. He really wants that one.

Edited by pseudonem, 29 November 2012 - 10:48 PM.
HAHAHAHAHA -flippers.

It'll be interesting to see if this (or any!) online roll playing game can dethrone Ultima Online. I also hear that Blizzard's working on something but I can't see that doing any better for them then Diablo has.

fs_overall.png

#1870 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

Just dropped by to say that I'm glad Nintendo is pretty much keeping up with demand. Hopefully some flippers get burned in the process. http://www.ebay.com/...=item43b66abe6b :)

Also, I can't wait till my kid opens the Wii U on Christmas Day! Too bad Nintendo decided to push Pikmin 3 back to March. He really wants that one.

WTF. What a bitch.

#1871 pissoffbakaburi

pissoffbakaburi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

WTF. What a bitch.

lol, serously...

...making the kid wait...:bouncy:

Edited by pissoffbakaburi, 30 November 2012 - 02:42 AM.
sp

#1872 pseudonem

pseudonem

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

lol, serously...

...making the kid wait...:bouncy:

I see what you did there. :P

It'll be interesting to see if this (or any!) online roll playing game can dethrone Ultima Online. I also hear that Blizzard's working on something but I can't see that doing any better for them then Diablo has.

fs_overall.png

#1873 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

I don't mind the flippers trying to sell these things for a profit, but they're just so stupid and arrogant... that's what irritates me.

#1874 PlayableMoogle

PlayableMoogle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:19 AM

Hi, folks. I have a question for you - I apologize if it has been asked, but a quick cursory search seems to indicate that it hasn't been.

I'm holding onto this for Christmas for my family, but this evening, my wife and I got it out and looked everything over to make sure everything APPEARS to be in working order, for whatever it's worth.

Everything looks great, except that the gamepad screen seems to have a sort of oily-looking splotch on some of the right side of the screen. Whatever it is looks like it's either part of the surface or part of some built-in protector; it appears to be very close to the surface, but not on the surface itself, as nothing wipes away. What's more, if you move your finger around on the touch screen (this is all while it's off - we didn't power anything on), you can see this same affect temporarily appear on other parts of the screen that have recently been pushed on with even a moderate amount of pressure.

My question is, is this normal? Does everyone see this?

I actually have a second unit I'm planning on returning, so I got that out and took a look. While the area is slightly smaller, this appearance also appears to be present on that gamepad, which gives me hope that they're all this way.

Thanks in advance.

#1875 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

I don't remember anything sounding like that on mine.

While you have it out though, I really think you should plug it in and update the thing...especially since it's for your kids. You'll have the initial 5GB patch that will take quite a while to download, and, respective patches for most of the games you bought.

You'll save your kids an hour or more of time on initial setup if you get it out of the way now.

#1876 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

You'll have the initial 5GB patch

Just want to point out that other people have since done the update and watched their bandwidth, and found that it's actually around 1GB. This is still pretty inexcusable but it's at least a massive reduction.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#1877 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

Just want to point out that other people have since done the update and watched their bandwidth, and found that it's actually around 1GB. This is still pretty inexcusable but it's at least a massive reduction.

Ah, hadn't heard that. Interesting.

I suppose their servers must have been getting slammed when I was downloading it. 1GB taking an hour and change is kinda crazy.

#1878 PlayableMoogle

PlayableMoogle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the advice, Rig. I will have to discuss that with my wife - one key is that this is a gift coming from the big guy, so I don't want it to be obviously-unapackaged.

Any other thoughts on the oily-looking appearance of parts of the screen?

#1879 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the advice, Rig. I will have to discuss that with my wife - one key is that this is a gift coming from the big guy, so I don't want it to be obviously-unapackaged.

I'm going through setup and unboxing right now. There's nothing like what you describe on my controller. There's a very tiny pixel/blemish, but I'm not going to return it based just on that.

Even if you don't want to make the system seem 'unboxed', I would still encourage you to do the setup ahead of time. There's nothing fun about sitting here waiting for the download to finish so I can continue with the initial setup and wrap it back up.
It's definitely slower than any x360 or ps3 patch/update that I've ever done.

#1880 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

No way! Gifts like this come from YOU. Don't let Santa get credit for a WiiU.
Posted Image

#1881 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

Also, with no seals on the box, as you already know, this is a pretty easy system to unbox and re-box. Box.

#1882 cgarb84

cgarb84

KEAK HEEM IN DA BALLS!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Yeah there was a lot of confusion over the update, I think it's around 1GB and the OS itself takes up almost 5GB on the system's storage. I think the update was slow due to the traffic that was hammering Nintendo's servers more than anything else.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1883 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Yeah there was a lot of confusion over the update, I think it's around 1GB and the OS itself takes up almost 5GB on the system's storage. I think the update was slow due to the traffic that was hammering Nintendo's servers more than anything else.

The update will almost certainly be very slow/difficult to download Christmas day, too. Another reason to consider updating early!

#1884 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

No way! Gifts like this come from YOU. Don't let Santa get credit for a WiiU.

Exactly. Santa's workshop can't produce a Wii U. Maybe a few toys or something, but nothing that big.

#1885 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Exactly. Santa's workshop can't produce a Wii U. Maybe a few toys or something, but nothing that big.

I plan on telling my kids that Santa buys these from Nintendo because he can't afford the licensing fees.

#1886 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

i plan on telling my kids that santa buys these from nintendo because he can't afford the licensing fees.

:lol:

#1887 jerdi83

jerdi83

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Have had no problem with the Wii You until today, picked up my daughter, is my weekend. She wanted to play Mario u, which I have played a lot since launch day. So I put the disc in, select Start game and now it keeps getting stuck on the initial loading screen with Mario and all the characters. Cannot get past th
at screen. I had to unplug from outlet to restart.

Then I try all my other games' Nintendoland, Black Ops 2, and Arkham City. None of these have that problem and load and play just fine.

#1888 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

I feel like the flippers (who are making $0.00 by the way :D) would make more money if they opened up those consoles and sold the game pads alone on ebay. I wouldnt be surprised to see the first gamepad only auctions ending <$500.
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#1889 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:01 AM

Have had no problem with the Wii You until today, picked up my daughter, is my weekend. She wanted to play Mario u, which I have played a lot since launch day. So I put the disc in, select Start game and now it keeps getting stuck on the initial loading screen with Mario and all the characters. Cannot get past th
at screen. I had to unplug from outlet to restart.

Then I try all my other games' Nintendoland, Black Ops 2, and Arkham City. None of these have that problem and load and play just fine.

:applause::rofl:

Anyway, try cleaning the disc. If you clean it and it still doesn't work, return it and get a new copy.
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#1890 PlayableMoogle

PlayableMoogle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I scored a new one at Target today, and returned my other. I'm sure it was fine, but I'm OC, so I wanted to the peace of mind.

I'll definitely be doing the update before Christmas, based on the many wisdoms afforded me here.

Now I've just gotta make it through most of a month having held the thing in my own hands. No big deal. *twitch*