• Please log in to reply
3663 replies to this topic

#1981 Psybuster

Psybuster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

What is the Gc strings club?

Basically a membership card thing at Guitar Center where you pay 20 up front, and they'll load it with 5 dollars every month for a year to spend towards strings (although I believe it's technically just treated as a gift card by their system so you can spend the 5 towards anything if the employee lets you). Sort of a restricted spend 20 now, get 60 worth, if you can go every month, and if you can't, well, you basically forfeit the 5 bucks for any months you don't spend it.

I used it on the D'Addario 3-pack on sale for 6 bucks, your choice of 9-42 or 10-46, valid until Feb 18 I believe.

sleeping_lights_on: TBH it's not a huge difference between the Vendetta XM and the 1.0, just different body wood that's more popular. The lack of weight on the XM will be very noticeable though when you pick up other guitars.

#1982 synnarc

synnarc

old & crotchety

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

Found this 91 Strat on Craigslist for a ridiculously steal of a price. I cannot believe how nice the action is on it.

Posted Image

First time playing a guitar in over 10 years. My fingers are sore.

#1983 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Found this 91 Strat on Craigslist for a ridiculously steal of a price. I cannot believe how nice the action is on it.

Posted Image

First time playing a guitar in over 10 years. My fingers are sore.

I hate you right now. I want that Strat. :) OK, so I already have a couple of Fenders. I am always on the prowl for cheap nice ones. Enjoy! She's a beaut!

#1984 Kolma

Kolma

I like french toast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

I found a RB3 Strat at a best buy and it was on clearance for $117, could hear guitar moving inside so i told them it was probably already opened and sealed back up, so they put an open box sticker on it and dropped it down to 99.99
Been using it on Rocksmith till I get a midi pro adapter (and once I learn to play it better)

560501.png

xivpads.png

retrosig.png?a_gc=255%2C110%2C13&a_mc=25

#1985 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

I found a RB3 Strat at a best buy and it was on clearance for $117, could hear guitar moving inside so i told them it was probably already opened and sealed back up, so they put an open box sticker on it and dropped it down to 99.99
Been using it on Rocksmith till I get a midi pro adapter (and once I learn to play it better)

Nice. You know you could have sold it new and made enough money to buy a nice Mexican Strat, right? ;) I can't bring myself to open my last one yet.

Currently Playing:
:360:
Rocksmith 2014

:xb1:

Titanfall, Forza 5

#1986 drastion

drastion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Got my Dean Vendetta XM. I love it. Its works. What was a blast was plugging in and tuning and starting to play in a half hour. A total blast.

On the guitar itself. I thought electric guitars didn't make any noise at all, but this one actually has quite a bit of play in the strings even after tuning up quite a bit tighter out of the box. I guess this is something you could probably change with different strings. I have a sinking suspicion the strings are gonna slide out tune. While tuning the pegs felt a tiny bit mushy. Yet. Construction is solid. It doesn't scream 3000$, but it doesn't scream cheap either. Totally functional. The important part is that I've started and its a whole! lot of fun. Really enjoying it. Need to get a pick, but my thumb is working for now. (Told you I was a total newb)

Now if they just made PianoSmith. I don't know why they don't. EVEN! easier as most keyboards have USB/MIDI and its straight up digital. Eh, playing along with adult method piano tunes is enough already to seriously get my rocks off. Achievements for tuning? lol! awesome.

If I had bought the best right out of the shoot, what would my 2nd guitar be? ;) Thanks for trying to catch me. Good things to keep in mind for when I get better.

Electric guitars were made to prevent the sounds from the amp vibrating the guitar body and in turn vibrating the strings even more. So they make some sound.

Tuners are usually the first thing to change out. For the price of them I wouldn't bother. Just when you put some new strings on leave a little extra. That way when you tune it up it will have more windings on the post and hold it down againts the nut better.

Definitely agree on the loose string thing. Light strings feel like rubber bands to me. Found good deals on some nines so I got a bunch. Finally tried some 10s much better feel on then especially on my 245. Now I have like 20 sets of 9s I don't even want.

If you lower the action and set the truss rod in the neck you wont have to bend them so far. Will feel a bit better after that and will make playing easier.

If you really start loving this getting a second guitar even if you already have I highcend one wont be a problem. Guitars are all so different you end up wanting more. I had one guitar and thought it was weird people bought any more than that. Now I have 4 and am thinking about a 5th. Although that has more to do with me not being able to try before I buy. That and a new job that pays twice what my old one did. Didn't pay over $350 for any of them so not too much invested so far.

The main thing is finding a neck that feels right in the hand. Pickups can change the sound easily enough. Wood does not change sound as much as people would like to think. Finding something you are comfortable with is key. I have smaller hand and surprisingly found a wide fat neck on my 245 to be my favorite neck.

#1987 drastion

drastion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

synnarc

Nice! That's exactly the style I was trying to get over christmass. Got another prs instead looking at yours makes me want to look for a strat again but I am thinking a p90 would be nice.

sleeping_lights_on

The other thing on feel is the thickness of the pick. A thin one will let you go right through a string and a thick will give you better control.

I found a buch of good deals over the holidays and am trying to get some friends into guitar so I have someone to bs about it with.

So I have a bunch of extra picks strings and straps if you need something to help you get started.

If not Clayton garage band pick box is a great place to try picks. Got 140 picks in my box for $10. They are printing errors though. Meaning blank picks without and writing on them to tell the thickness. I just played them against my palm and used a pen to seperat them by size.

#1988 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

Rbarb4, did you ever sell your Squier or was it too hard to let it go??

Still tempted to open'er up. But mostly busy with work to even think about it. Been missing out on RS too:cry:

The Clash!!!! how much do the DLC packs cost?

Think it's $3/song or $8 for the 3-pack

Got my Dean Vendetta XM. I love it.

Now if they just made PianoSmith. I don't know why they don't. EVEN! easier as most keyboards have USB/MIDI and its straight up digital.

Congrats :beer:. It's a nice choice at a good price.
Also good idea to switch out the strings with a fresh set, sooner rather than later. Maybe once you get to Harmonics (tuff enuf to get the 1st time, no need to make it harder with stock strings)

And sounds like you might wanna try Rockband 3 for the keyboard. Think the only other thing you need besides a midi KB is the RB3 midi adapter. Maybe someone else will speak-up if they've tried it.

#1989 The Acacia Strain

The Acacia Strain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

Picked up today at Walmart, $20. Wasn't even in the case.

#1990 The Acacia Strain

The Acacia Strain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

Also, can anyone tell me if this works with seven string guitars? I'm used to the large neck on one. It will be hard going back to the tiny neck of a 6 string.

#1991 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

Also, can anyone tell me if this works with seven string guitars? I'm used to the large neck on one. It will be hard going back to the tiny neck of a 6 string.

Yes. They just don't chart the seventh string. RS doesn't care if it's there or not.

Currently Playing:
Rocksmith 2014

Titanfall, Forza 5

#1992 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

Well... Looks like I was wrong about VA being done for Rock Band Squiers. Found another one at a not too distant Best Buy today. That makes #5. I am almost sure that I am gonna order the MIDI controller and use this one. Have to wait for a DLC sale on songs now...

#1993 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Does anyone here know whether the Power Gig guitar would work with RockSmith?

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#1994 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

Maybe. I don't know of anyone that has tried... Honestly, if you want to learn to play guitar, there are plenty of sub-$100 options for guitars. I can't imagine what a crappy experience that would be to use that guitar in RS...

Currently Playing:
Rocksmith 2014

Titanfall, Forza 5

#1995 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

It should, since it has a standard jack and can be hooked up to an amp. The tone is crap, so it may not register correctly though. If I remember, I'll pull mine from the basement and give it a try this weekend.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#1996 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Yes. They just don't chart the seventh string. RS doesn't care if it's there or not.

Yup. What he ^ said.

Same goes with bass. You can use a 5-string model but it only charts out for 4-string bass. But s'pose it could be good practice if you already know where to find the right note. Just gotta know what to look for

I'm sure someone tried and said it worked. But not gonna be a great experience. Even if you can get a decent tone out of it, you're gonna run out of frets. Wasn't it only a 15 or 17 fret guitar?

RS works was designed with a 22 fret guitar in mind and rarely has issues with 21 fret guitars

#1997 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Yup. What he ^ said.

Same goes with bass. You can use a 5-string model but it only charts out for 4-string bass. But s'pose it could be good practice if you already know where to find the right note. Just gotta know what to look for

I'm sure someone tried and said it worked. But not gonna be a great experience. Even if you can get a decent tone out of it, you're gonna run out of frets. Wasn't it only a 15 or 17 fret guitar?

It's 19 fret, but they are so tight due to the shortened size of the guitar.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#1998 The Acacia Strain

The Acacia Strain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Just looked at the song list. I wish this game would release some metal packs.

I bought this game mainly to learn new scales, and learn a few new things. I've been playing since I was thirteen, and currently play in a band.

#1999 deathb10w

deathb10w

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

Bad picture, but none the less....new guitar day for me

Posted Image

#2000 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Maybe. I don't know of anyone that has tried... Honestly, if you want to learn to play guitar, there are plenty of sub-$100 options for guitars. I can't imagine what a crappy experience that would be to use that guitar in RS...

I understand, but I have a fairly small gaming budget and can pick up a PG guitar for about $20.

It should, since it has a standard jack and can be hooked up to an amp. The tone is crap, so it may not register correctly though. If I remember, I'll pull mine from the basement and give it a try this weekend.

Thanks. Please post or PM with the results.

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#2001 deathb10w

deathb10w

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

I understand, but I have a fairly small gaming budget and can pick up a PG guitar for about $20.

Thanks. Please post or PM with the results.

I'd scope out your local guitar center. Often times their website sells beat up les paul specials and other low end starter guitars for $40-50.

#2002 Psybuster

Psybuster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

I'd take my chances with an off brand guitar from craigslist or gc over power gig too.

#2003 TheHammerGod

TheHammerGod

Superfly friendly gamer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

Hey guys, I picked up this game with cable as I always wanted to mess around with a bass guitar. Any low end bass recommendations for a rank novice?

#2004 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

Maybe I'm wrong, but if I were to put in my 2 cents, it would be to find a cool $20 game and enjoy it over buying a PG guitar and trying to do anything in Rocksmith. I don't know what you're expecting from the game, and maybe you just want to see if you can get a couple of achievements, but its really just going to be a complete waste to try to learn guitar on a piece of plastic. You're just setting yourself up to hate guitar in general and Rocksmith in particular. Not trying to be nasty, but if you have a small gaming budget, you're wasting your money doing it this way.

#2005 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:25 AM

Hey guys, I picked up this game with cable as I always wanted to mess around with a bass guitar. Any low end bass recommendations for a rank novice?

Honestly, any simple 4 string bass would be fine. A cheap Squier makes a good starter. I haven't heard anything bad about even the cheap Ibanezes. Have any best buys with music stores in them anywhere around you? ;)

#2006 DJP519

DJP519

Ready for a Vacation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

I recently found a deal on a Yamaha RBX170 bass for about $150. (Regular price is about $180.) I've been happy with it. Good craftsmanship, pretty good quality tuning pegs so it stays in tune much better than the cheap guitar I have does, and it has a nice metallic paint job. Can't complain for the price.

#2007 The Acacia Strain

The Acacia Strain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:20 AM

Kind of dumb this game doesn't come with a pick. I opened this up like a little boy on Christmas. I figured where this game was aimed at beginning guitarist, it would come with a pick.

I left my good gear in the car, which had most of my picks in it.

#2008 warpedsoul

warpedsoul

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:38 AM

Well I traded my beautiful PRS SE 245 for a Schecter Solo-6 Custom, and couldn't be happier with it.

Posted Image

Also, I traded a few DVD's for a beater Aria II Pro Frankenstrat. I put a $35 Dragonfire Preloaded pickguard in it and it sounds killer.

Posted Image

#2009 blucadet3

blucadet3

You know who has a good title...MY MOM!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Ibanez 25th Anniversary Flourescent guitar in Yellow:

http://www.amazon.co...keywords=rg2xxv

You could match it at M123 for ~$250... Or get it from MF and get a $100 GC and the same price...

How do you do the price matches? This looks rad :D

Not that I need a second guitar but that UltraCure is a beast :P

#2010 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

How do you do the price matches? This looks rad :D

Not that I need a second guitar but that UltraCure is a beast :P

Just call whichever store you want to use, tell them what you want and tell them it's a price match. They can search for it on amazon and they'll pm it. At MF, you'll get the gift certificate via email in 2 weeks. At M123, you'll get the 123% match immediately.