Flip Successes and Flip Flops

• Please log in to reply
1068 replies to this topic

#181 rayee6

rayee6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

After reading some of these threads about people making money by flipping, I was wondering what games/items out there are worth flipping? I am not looking for anything specific, but just an idea of what to look out for before I invest my money trying to flip.

I guess you have to really pay attention about the gaming industry to be able to make money.
Posted Image

#182 ets

ets

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

My best flips occurred during these deals:

MicroCTR Coupon
TRGT Coupon
BB B1G1
TRU F4
HMV Last Gen

I don't flip for profit in any means, however I've picked up 4 gripshifts due to this thread and haven't sold any because of the saturation of the game. I've been forced to throw one onto ebay... we'll see what happens.
Currently Playing: N/A
On Deck: N.A

MyTradeList [Link]

#183 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

rayee6 there are rare games thread in some of the console forums, I know ps2/xbox/psx have them

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#184 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

After reading some of these threads about people making money by flipping, I was wondering what games/items out there are worth flipping? I am not looking for anything specific, but just an idea of what to look out for before I invest my money trying to flip.

I guess you have to really pay attention about the gaming industry to be able to make money.

You can do your own research over at www.vgpc.com or by searching completed listings at www.ebay.com

#185 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:10 AM

Well, no one is buying the Gripshifts in my area, so I'm grabbing the last two. There's also a new one that just popped up, but that's out of the way from the other Gamestops. I'll grab that one next week if it's still there. It's a nice little flip, but it's a shame I wasn't in on this when they were fetching 100 dollars.

What about holding onto Gripshift? What is everyone's opinion on that? Will Gripshift eventually not be able to hack the PSP? (For instance, do people still use the Lumines disc?)
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#186 darkslime

darkslime

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:57 AM

Well, no one is buying the Gripshifts in my area, so I'm grabbing the last two. There's also a new one that just popped up, but that's out of the way from the other Gamestops. I'll grab that one next week if it's still there. It's a nice little flip, but it's a shame I wasn't in on this when they were fetching 100 dollars.

What about holding onto Gripshift? What is everyone's opinion on that? Will Gripshift eventually not be able to hack the PSP? (For instance, do people still use the Lumines disc?)

I think you'll always be able to use it, but they'll invent a pandora battery and it'll be pointless.

Also, sold my last gripshift for $50 BIN to some guy in Brazil today. Not bad. ^_^

#187 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:14 AM

Lumines doenst work on newer system, and i bet the next revision gripshift wont work either

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#188 omg itz adam

omg itz adam

CHIP NOOOO!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:13 AM

Sony can either at this point develop a patch or do something else!

#189 Persona7

Persona7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:17 AM

Lol, I saw the manager at gamestop ringing up 17 copies of Gripshift for himself and I asked him why he needed so many copies and he said " friends"...

#190 addicted2games

addicted2games

游戏玩家为生活 !!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:49 AM

Lol, I saw the manager at gamestop ringing up 17 copies of Gripshift for himself and I asked him why he needed so many copies and he said " friends"...

and they get mad at resellers and ban them. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

#191 omg itz adam

omg itz adam

CHIP NOOOO!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:53 AM

lol thats funny

#192 animemaniac14

animemaniac14

Do the Monkey w/Me!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:19 AM

that guy will DEFINITELY be fired...just like i was for trading in TWO OF THE SAME GAME to GS

[DVDs=727] [VGs=434

Free Gift Cards > Sex with a Blueshirt

#193 animemaniac14

animemaniac14

Do the Monkey w/Me!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:23 AM

and yes...when i first started flipping it was HARD AS CRAP to remember any of the rarities! Unless you're TRULY interested in learning the ropes..you prob have very little chance in succeeding. Well, given that's a pessimistic viewpoint, that was my beginner's experience

[DVDs=727] [VGs=434

Free Gift Cards > Sex with a Blueshirt

#194 NismoZZzz

NismoZZzz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:30 AM

that guy will DEFINITELY be fired...just like i was for trading in TWO OF THE SAME GAME to GS

Dude, that's retarded. Did you accept a trade or did you trade them in?

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7384/hahayo7.jpg%5B

#195 joe50000

joe50000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:17 AM

No, it's more like timing between stores like blockbuster video (selling used games) and gametop (paying extra for used games). It's usually at least twice a year that it happens.

If you're thinking of it as an investment, don't bother. Most people here flip for store credit at gamestop so they can buy more systems and games. You don't want to get your money tied up in games when there are real investments out there.

#196 ninja dog

ninja dog

Shoto Guilt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:25 AM

Read what people are looking for, pay attention in threads where people mention games that are valuable/hard to find, use google to figure out what rarer/valuable games are for older systems. Make lots of mental notes about games, series, companies, systems, and accessories that people hunt for. Search completed listings on ebay and try to get a feel for the average price a game goes for. Cross check it with amazon and half.com.

Do all this for a few months and you'll have a basic grasp. Keep it up and you'll get a system down, along with a pretty good eye for what's worth picking up and what isn't.

That's pretty much all there is to it. It's not a good job though, unless you have a shitload of time and ton of stores in your area. It's better as a supplemental thing, like if you want to buy a system or game, you can create your own "discount" by flipping.

#197 omg itz adam

omg itz adam

CHIP NOOOO!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:40 PM

Ninja dog really stated it the best........I don't flip to Gamestop for more credit my flipping is usually done for cash via ebay. The key is really to watch Craigslist's, pawnshops, goodwills, and even some of the B&M stores like gamestop to see what you can make money on. Doh and I left out yard sales in the summer you can make some serious money for just five minutes of hunting sometimes.

Also don't be afraid to take managable risks example: This summer I was at a garage sale they had a copy of snowboard kids for n64 for 2 dollars this game was an "Atlus" game and I didn't know the full price I just knew it was an Atlus game so I picked it up. I sold it to a real life friend for five dollars quick three dollars.

The last tip I could give you is just stay on top of used deals around here at CAG
Anyways best of luck and if you have any questions you can PM me.

#198 phear3d

phear3d

NorAm = Fraud

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:15 AM

lol. you should have said, "does his name starts with an E and ends with Bay? cuz hes my friend too :)" :lol:

#199 phear3d

phear3d

NorAm = Fraud

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:22 AM

ok so no one is sharing any new flip successes?

Edited by phear3d, 03 April 2009 - 12:32 PM.

#200 js1

js1

Badassfully

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:46 AM

ok so no one is sharing any new flip successes? i'll share one since i cant find any of them anymore anyways..

Spoiler

I had noticed that one as well the other day when looking up "rare" games.

Gamertags:

PSN: Ghost_Face_36

XBL:  Gh0st Face 36

Twitch: 

Spoiler

#201 sosodead

sosodead

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:48 AM

I call bullspit. I haven't been to any gamestop that had 17 used copies of a used PSP game, or any other game for that matter, including AAA titles. That is of course, you're in San Diego since all the GS employees were hip to the exploit.

#202 gomikeoh

gomikeoh

I like turtles.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:26 AM

was at my sears today.
bought two mercury meltdowns for 97 CENTS each.
bought warhawk/bluetooth headphone combo for 16 bucks
ps2 network adapter 13 dollars
wii points cards for 13 dollars
wii classic controller 13 dollars

they have tons of other stuff on "clearance," some good wii games, but they are prices not meant for flipping.

#203 DarkRider23

DarkRider23

hates hoarders

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:50 AM

ok so no one is sharing any new flip successes? i'll share one since i cant find any of them anymore anyways..

Spoiler

This isn't going to last. I was thinking of ordering like 2-3 online for $40 each, but the market is going to take a huge plunge soon. If I can find it in a B&M store, I'll give it a shot since I won't have to go through the hassle of returning it to the online retailer.

#204 phear3d

phear3d

NorAm = Fraud

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

This isn't going to last. I was thinking of ordering like 2-3 online for $40 each, but the market is going to take a huge plunge soon. If I can find it in a B&M store, I'll give it a shot since I won't have to go through the hassle of returning it to the online retailer.

it wont last and i gave up awhile ago but i happen to find one store that has it. sold it within 2 days. it was worth it.

#205 SlammedNiss

SlammedNiss

Mine hits the ground!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

Spoiler

Looks like I know what I'll be doing today. Hitting up my local GS and other 2nd hand video game stores.

#206 bigl523

bigl523

Will work for video games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:13 PM

I sold a P4 social link expansion pack and made enough to cover the cost of it and another one that I ended up keeping. My friend just sold his for $138 (before the amazon commission). He had an ad up and completely forgot about it until he got the email stating it was sold.
Posted Image

#207 Arakias

Arakias

Inferior Potassium

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:19 PM

I'm sure there are many other sites, but this site seems to aggregate ebay prices for videogames.
http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/.
thats my two cents, i wouldnt have known about wii sports or gripshift if it wasnt for this thread, but my only major flip was when the wii first came out. i got one for myself and an extra that sold for $600 cash off craigslist.

#208 phear3d

phear3d

NorAm = Fraud

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:13 AM

I'm sure there are many other sites, but this site seems to aggregate ebay prices for videogames.
http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/.
thats my two cents, i wouldnt have known about wii sports or gripshift if it wasnt for this thread, but my only major flip was when the wii first came out. i got one for myself and an extra that sold for $600 cash off craigslist.

jjgames is a regular in this thread (not lately) and he runs that site. everyone uses it. basically his site does an average price for that specific title for several sources, not just ebay.

heres a good game to flip, good luck though :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=370140797080

Edited by phear3d, 25 January 2009 - 06:07 AM.

#209 DarkRider23

DarkRider23

hates hoarders

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:31 AM

jjgames is a regular in this thread (not lately) and he runs that site. everyone uses it. basically his site does an average price for that specific title for several sources, not just ebay.

That right there just reminded me to pre-order two copies of Starcraft 2(CE) and keep them sealed for a couple of months/years.

#210 io

io

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:25 AM

:shock: Holy freakin' crap! Why!? Why on earth!? No piece of modern media should be worth that much. I mean, seriously, that has got to have sold for more than many ancient manuscripts.