Photo
- - - - -

Special CAGbag: Post questions for Michael Pachter, Video Game Analyst Extraordinaire

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:30 PM

Baring unforseen problems, this week's CAGcast guest will be Michael Pachter, Video Game Analyst for Wedbush Morgan. He is probably the most quoted gaming analyst on the internets.

The focus of the interview will be on "Life as a Video Game Analyst", but if we have time, we will quiz him on some of the bigger news topics.

Any questions you want answered?

#2 SL4IN

SL4IN

C'MON GET SERIOUAS!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:43 PM

How did you get into the video game industry, and how did you become a video game analyst?
[Brawl: 0001-3099-4131][Excitebots: 2106-5601-7796]

#3 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:45 PM

Do video game analysts know they are laughed at by the video game community?

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#4 MrX

MrX

Uosdwis R. Dewoh

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:49 PM

Is it hard to make vague guesses at what the PS3/360/Wii are going to do so if you are wrong you can save face?
Follow me on twitter @Mrx88 I tweet nonsense!

Looking for a podcast co-host about random geekness and P.S. I have a potty mouth and you should too! PM for details.

*punches life in the neck*

Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him...

#5 CAG 79

CAG 79

9 Year CAG Member

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

What is your opinion on the current state of video games and what things would you change?

#6 Hired.Geek

Hired.Geek

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:13 PM

I think that the $59.99 price is too high for games. It seems that video games developers not only have the initial sale of the game itself but have found lots of new streams of revenue such as in game advertising, extra down loaded content, extra money for collector editions, and some companies like EA are even selling the sound tracks to their games on iTunes. But they still feel they need to charge us the consumers even more money for the games.

Would companies be better off pricing their games at a cheaper price point, and hoping to sell more copies of the game so that there were more customers for in game advertising, and more customers to purchase down loaded content?

#7 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:15 PM

boxers or briefs?

and where do you get the meat of your info on the industry? (numbers, etc)
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#8 Ugamer_X

Ugamer_X

You can trust me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:20 PM

Ask what gave him the idea that 64 bit games took twice as long to develop for than 32 bit games. (I'm pretty sure he said that)

Also mention this:

"I don't think there are four million people in the world who really want to play online games every month," said Michael Pachter, a research analyst for Wedbush Morgan, a securities firm. "World of Warcraft is such an exception. I frankly think it's the buzz factor, and eventually it will come back to the mean, maybe a million subscribers."

"It may continue to grow in China," Mr. Pachter added, "but not in Europe or the U.S. We don't need the imaginary outlet to feel a sense of accomplishment here. It just doesn't work in the U.S. It just doesn't make any sense."

Then follow it all up with Mr Unoriginal's question.

#9 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:22 PM

Last call for questions!

#10 tsg2005

tsg2005

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:38 PM

what games are you playing right now? and what games are you looking forward to?

#11 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:45 PM

What sort of background do you need to be an analyst?
Posted Image

#12 SALvation

SALvation

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:07 AM

Screw the softball questions, ask him some hard ones like why he said this:

"I don't think there are four million people in the world who really want to play online games every month."
- http://dubiousqualit...er-post_12.html

"At the end of the day, we don’t play games for social interaction … We play games to escape.” Microsoft’s strategy is “absolutely flawed,” he said."
- http://dubiousqualit...st-of-2006.html

"Warcraft is so good and so good-looking that it got this immediate attraction; everybody who would ever consider playing an online game said, 'This is the one. I gotta try it.' And what'll happen is inevitably, like the health club model, after you pay your 30 bucks a month for 3 or 4 months and you only go once a week, you realize it's not worth it and you split. That's what will happen with Warcraft ... I think it's going to roll back to a million. I'm not predicting it's going to happen in three weeks; I'd guess it has a half-life of 6 months to a year,"
- http://thinkexist.co...-it/461948.html

It's nice to have interviews, but this guy is a tool.

#13 PawnTakesKing

PawnTakesKing

The Analytical Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:14 AM

Is this the guy Wombat makes fun of so much? I can't wait for this...
Posted Image

#14 Cosmo

Cosmo

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:33 AM

How often have your predictions come true? Give examples please.
Posted Image