Photo
- - - - -

NEVER, EVER buy a MadCatz Memory Card

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Rozz

Rozz

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:18 PM

Sure, it may seem obvious to buy an official memory card. But I was suckered into buying a 16x Mad Catz memory card for $6. Since it held so much memory and was so cheap this was the card I have been using for over two years. (when I first bought my Cube). However today all my data was randomly corrupted out of nowhere :cry: All those saves... lost. Dammit, now I have to start over, and it doesent meatter for most games, but those fucking Smash Bros. states cannot be replaced! Oh well, I learned my lesson: never use a third party card. Now I have to shell out the cash for an official card (unless someone here wants to sell me one for a good price, need the one that holds the most memory).

#2 Badwill

Badwill

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:37 PM

I think it's something that bears repeating to anyone on here. It always sucks losing data. I've had it happen to me a few times with third party cards and will never buy one again.
I'm a snake. Never trust a snake.

#3 4tygames

4tygames

Cover Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:03 PM

Always, always buy First Party (Nintendo) memory cards. There was an article long ago about someone who took apart a Nintendo memory card and a third party memory card and the results were astounding. Nintendo uses screws to hold the memory card in place. The third party memory cards use glue. When the glue doesn't stick anymore, the data corrupts or sometime you will not even be able to use your memory card. When I first bought my GameCube, I bought a Mad Catz memory card along with the system. Once my Burnout 2 data was corrupted, I traded my three memory cards into Movie Trading Company for a nice $9 in cash. I was happy to get those crappy cards off of my hands.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Tsukento

Tsukento

King of Pirates

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:11 PM

One can use third party items. Just don't rely on Mad Catz or Nyco; EVER. Those two always seem the have the most problems.

#5 Rozz

Rozz

Posted 17 June 2007 - 01:03 AM

Is there any downside to buying a used memory card? I just bought a used one for a bargain price. (official nintendo)

#6 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2007 - 01:07 AM

*sigh*

People. Stop. Now.

The GC gives you about eighty billion false-alarms. Just turn it off, take it out, do the NES dust-blow for good luck, put it in, turn it on, maybe go into the memory menu, and it should be fine.

Posted Image

#7 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 17 June 2007 - 01:43 AM

I swore off third party memory cards years ago when I had a N64 memory pack crap out on my twice and lost tons of saves.

Definitely one accessory I'll always go first party on.

#8 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:02 AM

I swore off third party memory cards years ago when I had a N64 memory pack crap out on my twice and lost tons of saves.

Definitely one accessory I'll always go first party on.

thats the way i learned my lesson too. lost damn near 10 created wrestlers for that one really awesome wwe wrestling game on the n64 i think it was the first one that used real intro music. man i had so many cool characterrs and one day i went to load them up and they were all gone. when it comes to memory cards its always good to do with official stuff although i never had any trouble with generic ps1 memory cards.

#9 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:06 AM

I never had much luck using MadCatz or Interact, the people who made the gameshark, brands I can't believe that I have to buy first party brands just to get a decent videogame accessory that works properly.

#10 4tygames

4tygames

Cover Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:35 AM

Just turn it off, take it out, do the NES dust-blow for good luck, put it in, turn it on, maybe go into the memory menu, and it should be fine.

Once your memory card corrupts, all your save data is gone. No blowing is going to bring it back.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Spades22

Spades22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:54 PM

Sure, it may seem obvious to buy an official memory card. But I was suckered into buying a 16x Mad Catz memory card for $6. Since it held so much memory and was so cheap this was the card I have been using for over two years. (when I first bought my Cube). However today all my data was randomly corrupted out of nowhere :cry: All those saves... lost. Dammit, now I have to start over, and it doesent meatter for most games, but those fucking Smash Bros. states cannot be replaced! Oh well, I learned my lesson: never use a third party card. Now I have to shell out the cash for an official card (unless someone here wants to sell me one for a good price, need the one that holds the most memory).

I had a madcatz card that I used for everything on my Gamecube and about 2 years ago it wiped everything I had from...like...5 years of playing on my Gamecube, including my smash bros too like you (which I agree was by far the most frustrating deletion...every character unlocked, every game mode beaten by every character, hours of melee, nearly every trophy unlocked, etc.). I never researched memory cards back then...didnt really use the internet for gaming info. I just thought all the memory cards were the same just one had the name brand on it which made it slightly more expensive. Anyway I'll never buy a 3rd party memory card again.

Posted Image

http://www.gaminglagoon.com/?ref=49176 <--Gaming Lagoon - Xbox live points, Wii points, Amazon gift cards, etc. :D

http://www.prizerebe...index.php?r=113 <-- PrizeRebel

Points2Shop <-- Points2Shop

#12 PrarieD0G

PrarieD0G

Hikikomori

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:22 AM

Man, I had been using a Mad Catz 4x Card for years and just recently upgraded to a 1019 Nintendo one (used). I just heard too many stories of data corruption and didn't wan't to continue to risk losing all of my data. I'm glad I heard about some of these stories, heh.

#13 snakelda

snakelda

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:51 PM

It happened to me too and I lost all my data!NOO!MY SSBM Stats!

#14 Ruahrc

Ruahrc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:57 AM

Does anyone here back up their save data onto a spare memory card? I mean even with first-party devices, things can happen, and maybe it would be worth the few dollars to get a 2nd memory card and just periodically back up saves onto it every now and then? Especially for things like SSBM stats, which take hours and hours to gather, it would be a major loss to have them go bad on you.

Ruahrc

#15 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:42 PM

It's always YMMV but check your local Wal-Marts. Mine clearanced out it's 1019 Memory cards (official Nintendo ones) a couple weeks ago at 10 bucks each. I know they're not compatible with every single game but at the price, you can't go wrong. Unfortunately there are none left at my location but if another place started late, you might get lucky.

And yes, like Ruahrc said, even official memory cards go bad. Way back in 1999ish I had a PSX memory card devour everything on it, including my 40 hour Xenogears save. I've never had the heart to go back and play it again after that.

#16 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:36 PM

Once your memory card corrupts, all your save data is gone. No blowing is going to bring it back.

Re-read my post. The part about the false alarms.

Yeah. That's the pertinent bit.

Posted Image

#17 4tygames

4tygames

Cover Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:23 AM

Re-read my post. The part about the false alarms.

Yeah. That's the pertinent bit.

Eh. My GameCube has really never given me false alarms, only during Eternal Darkness for some weird reason ;)

I think The Crotch's Cube is possessed!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:18 PM

I think the Eternal Darkness ones are intentional. The game's supposed to make you insane anyway.

#19 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:32 PM

1: Spoiler tags, buddy.
2: Others here on CAG have mentioned that they receive false alarms, albeit not as often as I.

Posted Image

#20 Ziv

Ziv

Jerk Extreme

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:28 PM

1: Spoiler tags, buddy.

It's a five year old game. I think the statute of limitations is up on that one.

#21 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:45 PM

Old, yes, but many people haven't played it. Then again, if they haven't played it, they're probably not among the fifteen people still posting in this forum.

For my part, I had that bit spoiled for me years ago.

Posted Image

#22 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:37 PM

That wasn't a spoiler. That's like revealing that Psycho Mantis reads off your memory card in Metal Gear Solid.

#23 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:03 AM

The game is based on fucking with your mind. How is this not a minor spoiler, exactly?

Posted Image

#24 Dam That River

Dam That River

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:52 AM

NEVER, EVER buy a third party Memory Card. Used first-party cards are fine though, most of my memory cards were purchased used and I have yet to have a problem with them.

Also, AERIS DIES.
Posted Image

#25 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:31 PM

Didn't someone on here once have that in their signature?

Posted Image

#26 judyjudyjudy

judyjudyjudy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:42 PM

I don't think I actually have a 1st party memory card (not sure why, just ended up that way) aside from the one that came with Animal Crossing. The Interact ones I used regularly haven't died yet, nor have the spare MadCatz ones I use. However, I am insanely paranoid about losing data, which is why I got one of these a while ago:
http://www.play-asia...-en-70-1yg.html
Not really a cheapass option, but it's nice to be able to store saves on your computer. (I got mine used off eBay, so it wasn't as expensive.)
My games, DVDs, and feedback.

#27 Doom5

Doom5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:49 AM

I actually prefer my Nyko 64Mb card I got YEARS ago to my Nintendo 251. Why? It saves about 2-3x faster; it's a HUGE difference. I've never had an issues with corruption. In general, I like Nyko products, along with Hori.

MadCatz and Intec on the other hand... stay the hell away!

#28 dcswirl

dcswirl

You'll Never Walk Alone

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:20 AM

MadCatz is actually the only third party I trust. That being said, I don't buy much third party anything anymore. I used MadCatz memory cards on PS2 almost exclusively and never had a problem. Also, I preferred their controller on XBOX before the S controllers came out.

#29 Hostile

Hostile

Dark Evangel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:24 AM

I only ever buy official or officially support products. I've never had a problem with losing saves.

#30 Aleryn

Aleryn

CheapassSinceGradeSchool

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:34 AM

Does anyone here back up their save data onto a spare memory card? I mean even with first-party devices, things can happen, and maybe it would be worth the few dollars to get a 2nd memory card and just periodically back up saves onto it every now and then? Especially for things like SSBM stats, which take hours and hours to gather, it would be a major loss to have them go bad on you.

Ruahrc

Hell yeah I backup my saves. Got an extra PS2 memcard JUST for this purpose. And a 360 memcard to backup particularly juicy saves from my Hard Drive to. Plus it rocks to have your gamertag on the memmycard when going to fellow geek's houses.