Release Date = August 26th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp-kRA4Crdc&
Posted Image

#2 Master Shake

Master Shake

I AM IMMORTAL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

I believe the pics are from the psp version.

#3 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:05 AM

I'm not kidding, it really is for PS3. I posted another link. NIS always sticks to the same 2D sprites. The game is still quite early though, so things could change. NIS said they had a game in development for PS3, and this looks to be the game.
Posted Image

#4 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:46 AM

Well, seems like the PDF link confirms it. I wish it was something other than Disgaea though, oh well. At least it's a popular game I guess and might help increase the amount of RPG type games on it possibly with this announcement. Well, I can hope anyways.

#5 happy

happy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:15 PM

Awesome news, although I still need to buy Disgaea 2 (I'm tempted to wait till next year when my schedule will be more open because I know once I buy it the next 50+ hours of my life will be occupied).

#6 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:06 PM

After years of sucking time away from PlayStation 2 owners, Nippon Ichi is finally moving on to the next generation. At Sony's PlayStation Premier event in Tokyo today, the third party publisher formally announced Disgaea 3 for the PlayStation 3.

Currently, we have just few details on the game, which is fully titled Makai Senki Disgaea 3. Once again a strategy RPG featuring a variety of selectabe units, the title appears to take place in a school setting. One screenshot shows a school backdrop with a menu prompting the player to change seats, go to your home room, or take part in graduation and entrance ceremonies.

The two screenshots we have suggest that Nippon Ichi hasn't quite abandoned its current set of visual tools in the move to the PS3. For a look at 2D sprites against 3D backdrops all presented in HD, check out the screens.

Disgaea 3 is set for Japanese release this winter.

http://ps3.ign.com/a...5/805607p1.html
Posted Image

#7 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:09 PM

Why is this so ugly? C'mon, if you're going to make a game for the PS3, at least make high-res sprites. I mean, I'll still buy it if it's good, but it's disappointing to see graphics that could easily have been done on the PS1.

it was probably in there because I'm a flaming homosexual.

#8 CoffeeEdge

CoffeeEdge

Resident Communaut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:17 PM

It really is ugly. And that's a problem.

Because considering how hard-assed SCEA can be, I think it's seriously likely that they wouldn't approve this game for release in the US.
Hi...

DID SOMEBODY SAY "TOOT"?!?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image I WILL MOTHERF--KING BAN THE F--KING SHIT OUT OF YOU Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:24 PM

i would take an UGLY game anyday that has major play vaule then a PRETTY game but stupid/awful play vaule
WOOOO I STINK

#10 dallow

dallow

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

Ah, this is the kind of software I was hoping to see.

Good show NIS, good show.

#11 furyk

furyk

Captain of the Handheld

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:34 PM

Eh, who cares that it's ugly? It might actually have a fair content to cost ratio at $60 too.

#12 mwynn

mwynn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

Low res screens shots. No video showing animations. I will wait and see how it looks in videos.

#13 vherub

vherub

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:38 PM

Interesting, is this the first ps3 game that clearly will not be primarilty stressing uber-graphics?
i'd rather have the graphics be hyper detailed 2d sprites, then the kind of bland 3d surfaces those pics show, still too early to judge.

#14 Guest_Apossum_*

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:42 PM

Eh, who cares that it's ugly? It might actually have a fair content to cost ratio at $60 too.

not that I'll buy this, but $60 would absolutely ridiculous for a game with recycled sprites.

#15 dragonreborn23

dragonreborn23

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:43 PM

Because considering how hard-assed SCEA can be, I think it's seriously likely that they wouldn't approve this game for release in the US.

Are you fucking kidding? With the cult following of Disgaea, and a severe lack of any rpg or srpg's on the system? Of course they will bring the game here! They have too few exclusives as it is.

#16 botticus

botticus

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:43 PM

I don't care that it's ugly, but if you're not gonna use the hardware, make it a PS2 game, put it on a DVD, pop it in a PS3-branded case for $50 and everyone's happy.

#17 dallow

dallow

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:48 PM

I'm sure the game will be spruced up a bit.

#18 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

They won't. SCEA will let NIS America bring most anything over regardless. If this was some publisher who had no Japanese branch trying to bring this over, SCEA probably wouldn't allow it. They'll let this game come, since Disgaea has been very successful on PlayStation and they know it.

Btw, the game is still quite early and the game will be HD scaled. Plus, NIS is very small staffed and doesn't have the funding and development to make high res games. Also, games are moving from PS2 to PS3 from now on as it seems, so that's why its coming to PS3 instead. I'm glad it's coming to PS3, because maybe we'll get some download content for this game down the road.

i would take an UGLY game anyday that has major play vaule then a PRETTY game but stupid/awful play vaule

QFT. We'll be playing this on our PS3 one day. ;)
Posted Image

#19 Logg

Logg

Every Time I Die

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:53 PM

So now there is a reason for me to get a PS3, this is one of the only series I buy at launch and beat them all.

#20 dallow

dallow

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:55 PM

Looks like a PS2 game currently, the first two looked like PS1 games.
I s'pose they are making progress.

I'll buy it, but not for $60.

Nice to see a widescreen shot of it though.

#21 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:57 PM

yes, it'd be nice if these damn 2d people could catch up to Guilty gear/Odin Sphere level sprite quality.

#22 CoffeeEdge

CoffeeEdge

Resident Communaut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:27 PM

Are you fucking kidding? With the cult following of Disgaea, and a severe lack of any rpg or srpg's on the system? Of course they will bring the game here! They have too few exclusives as it is.

Sony specifically denied US releases for games like Tales of Rebirth, and that probably had better sales prospects than any NIS game based on name recognition. Same goes for several other 2D RPGs. It's nothing they haven't done before. Yeah, they allowed it on PS2, but I'm less confident that they'd certify a US release for a game that looks like that on PS3.
Hi...

DID SOMEBODY SAY "TOOT"?!?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image I WILL MOTHERF--KING BAN THE F--KING SHIT OUT OF YOU Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 dallow

dallow

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:56 PM

Hey mocha, this thread needs more bullshit negativity too:

http://cheapassgamer...ad.php?t=145058

Join please!

#24 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:00 PM

Sony specifically denied US releases for games like Tales of Rebirth, and that probably had better sales prospects than any NIS game based on name recognition. Same goes for several other 2D RPGs. It's nothing they haven't done before. Yeah, they allowed it on PS2, but I'm less confident that they'd certify a US release for a game that looks like that on PS3.

Sony never denied Tales of Rebirth, Namco never wanted to bring the game stateside due to the poor sales of Tales of Eternia.
Posted Image

#25 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:56 PM

Why is this so ugly? C'mon, if you're going to make a game for the PS3, at least make high-res sprites. I mean, I'll still buy it if it's good, but it's disappointing to see graphics that could easily have been done on the PS1.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Easily done on the PS1? It could've been done on the PS2, I'll grant you that but check out Hoshigami and Final Fantasy Tactics to see what PS1 strategy games look like, they're nowhere near that clean.

#26 Wlogan31

Wlogan31

Economic Extraordinaire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

I don't care that it's ugly, but if you're not gonna use the hardware, make it a PS2 game, put it on a DVD, pop it in a PS3-branded case for $50 and everyone's happy.

My sentiments EXACTLY

Buy/Sell/Trade - Come on Down!: http://www.cheapassg...014#post1554014

PS3 Trophies

Currently Playing:
:ps3: Resident Evil 5   :ps3: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

#27 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:29 PM

I'm sure the game will be spruced up a bit.

I'll take that bet. NIS doesn't care about the graphics. I doubt it gets any better than those screenshots.

And there's no WAY Sony denies an American release for this. Hell, they could probably make it a download--how big could a 2D sprite game be anyway?

#28 aerozero

aerozero

The man from nowhere

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:19 AM

I agree, Disgaea will come over here, with a whole bunch of exclusives going multi-platform, Sony can't afford to be picky about which games should be released and which ones shouldn't be released.

#29 dallow

dallow

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:28 AM

I'll take that bet. NIS doesn't care about the graphics. I doubt it gets any better than those screenshots.

And there's no WAY Sony denies an American release for this. Hell, they could probably make it a download--how big could a 2D sprite game be anyway?

Well I know they're not going to go crazy with the graphics, but they'll at least make it look a little better than that.

These are early shots, I"m sure most sprites and backgrounds there are placeholders.

It'll look better, but just a little, I'll take the bet.

AND WHERE IS DR. MARIO KART?
He better not be home crying wondering why this isn't on PS2 or Wii.
"i drive a rolls royce / cause it's good for my voice"
3DS Friend Code: 3609-1044-7487

#30 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:41 AM

just a general type question as Im not really knowledgable about programming and stuff:

I thought that someone had said it took about 500,000 copies sold to break even. Now I would assume that is due to cutting edge graphics and stuff like that. So am I right to assume that a game like this would take far less sold to break even?