1428 replies to this topic

#1 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:53 PM

Posted Image
Image comes from Official Site, linked below

Information

STORY

In 1930s Europa, tensions rise to an all-time high between the continent’s two distinct military powers – the Empire and the Federation. In the struggle for ultimate supremacy, the Second Europa War (E.W.II) erupts, and Gallia, the small independent nation situated between the two super powers, now faces attack.

The Empire's Imperial Army is first to strike Gallia, forcing the young lieutenant Welkin Gunther to pull back his small platoon. As the invading forces charge toward the capital city, Welkin discovers that not only are they outmatched in scale and weaponry, but the enemy army also has Valkyria, an unusually powerful race, in their ranks. As the war rages, the capital city is about to fall to the enemy, but Welkin’s unique battle strategies bring hope to his homeland…

There may be a chance for Gallia after all. This is Welkin’s story.

Political State of Europa (1930’s EC)

IMPERIAL ALLIANCE
A conglomerate of nations united under the rule of an emperor. These nations retain customs and practices from medieval times, and its people are known to harbor conservative views including a strong hatred towards the Darcesen race.

ATLANTIC FEDERATION
Nations that seek republican form of alliance to preserve mutual security. The Federation is ahead of the Empire in terms of national power, yet it often takes more time to consolidate their treaties due to its political infrastructure.

THE PRINCIPALITY OF GALLIA
A small nation geographically surrounded by the Empire and the Federation. The nation is a constitutional monarchy, characterized by policies of armed neutrality and universal conscription. All citizens 15 years old and above are eligible to be drafted into service in times of war.

CANVAS Graphics Engine

The "CANVAS" graphics engine, created exclusively for the PLAYSTATION®3, brings a never-before-seen style to life.

Breath life into stunningly unique visuals similar to hand-drawn illustrations, and immerse yourself in real-time battles in environments resembling a watercolor painting in motion.

Official Site

Images
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Reviews
1UP = A-
Eurogamer = 8 / 10
IGN = 9.0 / 10
OPM U.S. = 4.5 / 5

Edited by The Mana Knight, 30 November 2008 - 07:04 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:18 PM

The game does look cool. I believe the last EGM, or the one before it, mentioned that this game was coming over to the US.

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#3 near

near

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:21 PM

I love the character designs and the art style. Looks very cool, yeah it should be heading to the US.
Posted Image

#4 Inf^Shini

Inf^Shini

is Han Cholo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:24 PM

That art style reminds me of the cutscenes from FFT War Of the Lions.

Posted Image

The face of a pleased man =D

#5 blackjaw

blackjaw

probably surfing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:27 AM

Love the art direction....very interesting.

#6 mxpowar

mxpowar

Menace II Sobriety

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:09 PM

I'm excited by this for two reasons. A) It's about time Sega put out a good RPG. I can barely remember the last good one (I think it was Shining Force III). B) It's about time the PS3 got some RPGs. The PS2 was undisputed king of RPGs. This generation, the XBOX 360 actually has more RPGs coming out for it (so far). Very, very sad. Hopefully, this game will be a sign of good things to come, RPG-wise, for the PS3.

#7 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:15 PM

one magazine claims its coming out for 360 also

#8 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:49 PM

This shit looks fuckin' cool. Hopefully it'll have more than just art direction going for it, though. If pretty pictures are all this has, then it'll end up like Blue Dragon which.... ugh.

it was probably in there because I'm a flaming homosexual.

#9 PapiChullo

PapiChullo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:40 AM

I was just watching the trailers for this. Game definitely looks really cool. Interesting take on a shooter.

PapiChullo.png

Now playing: :ps3: TLOU MP  :ps4: FIFA 14  :3ds: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box :psp: Hot Shots Golf

Most Recently Completed: :ps3: Far Cry 3  :psp:Rayman Origins, Mutant Mudds :ps4:  Contrast

#10 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:45 PM

Bumping this due to a new trailer released:

HD: http://www.gametrail...2.html?type=mov
SD: http://www.gametrail...3.html?type=mov

#11 Nephlabobo

Nephlabobo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:49 AM

Games like this are exactly why I bought the PS3. Looks great!

#12 Killer Rabbit

Killer Rabbit

Silent But Still Annoying

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:03 AM

one magazine claims its coming out for 360 also

I really hope that's true. The game looks gorgeous. Unfortunately, this looks like the exact sort of game that would stick to the PS3. I'm not quite sure why I feel that way. But I do. The game just gives off that vibe.

stupid ___ u can't hack or nothin

I got norton

#13 darthbudge

darthbudge

The Real DB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:30 AM

Nice. It kinda reminds me of that fantasy nazi killing RPG game that was posted awhile ago. I hope this comes out over here.

#14 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:38 AM

I've actually been following this game a bit, and theres stuff I'm not clear on from the first videos.

1) Sometimes the aiming looks damn near automatic, other times, it seems that the aiming is manual (stick). Shooting with a stick for me is FTL, but its tolerable as long as you dont fire when you move (single stick solution, like RE4, not dual stick).

Its clearly not a pure turn based game in the Operation Darkness sense, which is sorta what I would like better. Perhaps you can make it pure turn based with automatic aiming if you want? Like what I think Fallout 3 is trying to do?

#15 PapiChullo

PapiChullo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:20 AM

Bumping this due to a new trailer released:

HD: http://www.gametrail...2.html?type=mov
SD: http://www.gametrail...3.html?type=mov

This game just keeps looking better and better.

PapiChullo.png

Now playing: :ps3: TLOU MP  :ps4: FIFA 14  :3ds: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box :psp: Hot Shots Golf

Most Recently Completed: :ps3: Far Cry 3  :psp:Rayman Origins, Mutant Mudds :ps4:  Contrast

#16 metaly

metaly

In the world, only this island is.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:34 AM

So is that Hitoshi Sakimoto doing the music or what? I need to know how excited I should be.

#17 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:55 AM

Saw these new images on Magicbox this morning. Now THIS is something that reminds me of the old Sega.

http://www.the-magic...me080220b.shtml

#18 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:57 AM

Looks surprisingly cool. Somehow I'm not expecting a US release though.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#19 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:21 PM

I heard it is coming stateside for sure (and around the world), because Sega definitely needs more sales than just the Japanese market on this one I hear. It may be a while until we get it though. I'll buy it for sure, since this game looks great. :)
Posted Image

#20 InuFaye

InuFaye

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:12 PM

We can always import.

PS3 is region free.

This looks so fucking awesome.

#21 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:48 PM

EGM confirmed it for US release a couple issues ago.

I'm pretty sure I posted this exact thing earlier in the thread...

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#22 Dezuria

Dezuria

Loading, please wait...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:09 AM

If the gameplay is as good as the graphics, this game would be great. It being a Sega game worries me though.

#23 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:12 AM

EGM confirmed it for US release a couple issues ago.

I'm pretty sure I posted this exact thing earlier in the thread...

Yeah well...besides one or two posts I obviously didn't read the thread.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#24 hiccupleftovers

hiccupleftovers

Worst Poster on CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:19 AM

Wow, very cool. This one I want.

Las Vegas Limousine - The coolest limos in town!

Los Angeles Limousine

#25 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:13 PM

If the gameplay is as good as the graphics, this game would be great. It being a Sega game worries me though.

This is actually a decent Sega team making this (makers of Sakura Taisen and Overworks members I think).
Posted Image

#26 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:29 PM

http://www.gamesindu...e.php?aid=33486

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

LONDON AND SAN FRANCISCO (February 25, 2007) – SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Valkyria Chronicles™ a fresh new take on the traditional role-playing genre, is coming exclusively to the PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system. Soon to be released as Valkyria of the Battlefield: Gallian Chronicles in Japan, where it has already gathered the interest of legions of gamers, Valkyria Chronicles combines strategy elements of tactical role-playing games with real-time action sequences. All of this is played out in an innovative and beautiful visual style.

Valkyria Chronicles is set in a fictitious continent reminiscent of 1930s Europe - divided in two and ruled by the Empire and the Federation. The Empire has set its sights on invading a small neutral country called Gallia, which is situated in the middle of the two great empires. The game follows a hero named Welkin and his fellow soldiers of the Federation’s 7th Platoon as they engage in a series of epic battles.

Built upon the new “CANVAS” engine, developed internally by SEGA Game Studios Japan, Valkyria Chronicles’ stunning 3D graphics resemble a watercolor painting in motion, taking full advantage of the processing capabilities of the PLAYSTATION® 3. The power of the PLAYSTATION® 3 also allows the development team to exploit the full potential of this new engine, giving players many different stunning environments to explore. A new type of tactical battle mechanic has been specifically designed for Valkyria Chronicles. Known as “BLiTZ,” this gives players freedom to strategically move around the environment and attack enemies using real-time controls, something never before seen in the tactical role-playing game genre. The new “CANVAS” engine technology, the “BLiTZ” battle concept and an epic storyline offers players hours of exciting gameplay.

“Valkyria Chronicles has been enthusiastically requested by European fans” said Gary Knight, European Marketing Director SEGA Europe ltd. “The unique graphics and compelling gameplay are just two reasons why we’re delighted to bring it to them.”

Valkyria Chronicles will be available for the PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system in Autumn 2008. For more information, screenshots and assets from the game, please visit http://www.sega-press.com/.

- ends -

Awesome news. :D I think this will come to the U.S. too, but great news of the confirmation.
Posted Image

#27 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

and if did not, we can just import the europe version as the PS3 is region free.

#28 metaly

metaly

In the world, only this island is.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:47 PM

and if did not, we can just import the europe version as the PS3 is region free.

Exactly what I was thinking. I haven't imported any PS3 games yet, but I love that the option is there.

#29 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:45 PM

http://www.gamesindu...e.php?aid=33486

Awesome news. :D I think this will come to the U.S. too, but great news of the confirmation.

The press release you cite begins "Sega of America...." so I take this to mean it confirms a U.S. autumn date too.

#30 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:08 AM

http://www.ebgames.c...oduct_id=270199

The game is listed now, which means it's coming.
Posted Image