Photo
- - - - -

Official PixelJunk Thread - 4/20: PixelJunk 4AM out May 15, Beta for PS+ Begins May 1

• Please log in to reply
616 replies to this topic

#1 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:39 AM

Posted Image

So why PixelJunk? Cuthbert decided that they wanted a brand for their indie output, thus calling each title PixelJunk in the series, and letting consumers identify that each dissimilar design was made by the same 'brand'.

So, what of the constraints? The PixelJunk series is set to be created by 5 or less people in 6 months or less - any game design they came up with must fit this requirement. In addition, the concepts needed to be 2D in terms of design - though he revealed that Series 2 of PixelJunk will be unique ways of using 3D in games. Later in the session, he revealed that Series 2 would "...maybe take some of the old 3D looks and bring them up to the full HD kind of style."

PixelJunk 1-1: Posted Image
Genre: Slot Car Racing
Release Date: 9/13/07
PSN Price: $6.99
Metacritic Average: 62
CAG Consensus: Sales Only
Info:
Spoiler

PixelJunk 1-2: Posted Image
Genre: RTS - Tower Defense
Release Date: 1/24/08
PSN Price: $9.99
Metacritic Average: 81
CAG Consensus: Buy Now!
Info:
Spoiler

Expansions: PixelJunk Monsters Encore
Release Date: May 8, 2008
PSN Price: $5.99
Content: 15 new levels, new music, Ice Tower unlocked, cheaper Tesla Tower, and some secrets.

PixelJunk 1-3: Posted Image
Genre: Organic Platformer
Release Date: July 31, 2008
Metacritic Average: TBD
CAG Consensus: Try the Demo and Buy It
Info:
Spoiler

PixelJunk 1-4: PixelJunk Shooter Posted Image
Genre: Shooter
Release Date: December 10, 2009
Metacritic Average: 87
CAG Consensus: Buy It
Info:
Spoiler

PixelJunk 1-4a: PixelJunk Shooter 2 Posted Image
Release Date: March 1, 2011
Metacritic Average: 82
CAG Consensus: Buy It If You Liked PJS1
Info:
Spoiler

PixelJunk 1-4b: PixelJunk Sidescroller Posted Image
Release Date: October 25, 2011
Metacritic Average: TBD
CAG Consensus: TBD
Info:
Spoiler

Edited by FriskyTanuki, 27 October 2011 - 09:32 PM.

#2 rendil

rendil

lurker extraordinaire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:51 AM

PixelJunk Monsters sounds great. I love tower defense style maps in Warcraft III, so it will be interesting to see the japanese twist on it.

#3 reiji

reiji

wired to the core

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:58 AM

It looks like this is already available in the Japanese PS Store. I think it was 900 Yen.

#4 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:41 AM

http://www.gametrail...ayer/29144.html

I'm glad to see Q games is having fun with different genres in their PixelJunk series.

#5 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:25 AM

I hope that you can play this on ps3 and psp.
Posted Image

#6 Sinistar

Sinistar

Bob's my uncle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:17 AM

I hope theres a demo, no way I'm making a blind purchase
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also check my GameFly Referral link here ;)

#7 Vanigan

Vanigan

V.V.V.V.V.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:31 AM

To try the game, play any other Tower Defense game out there, it's exactly the same concept, except PJ Monsters is even more a casual game.

Tower Defense games basically have you setting up fixed defenses along a path to an objective. Your goal is to stop waves of enemies from reaching the objective and destroying it.

In this case, you're magically converting trees into defense towers, which kill monsters that are coming to kill the objective. The monsters drop some kind of currency when they die which you have to pick up before it disapears. Then you use this currency to convert more trees into towers, and you can probably upgrade towers too, but I'm not sure about that. The waves of monsters get more difficult as things progress.

#8 dallow

dallow

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:13 PM

PSN is really cool for these kinds of neat, quirky, indie games.
The low price tags help too.

#9 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:12 PM

I hope that you can play this on ps3 and psp.

You will be able to.

#10 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:46 PM

You will be able to.

now that's great.. definitely unexpected.
Posted Image

#11 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:48 PM

As posted in the PS Store thread, PixelJunk Monsters will be out next week. No price mentioned, but I'd bet that it'll be the same as PixelJunk Racers, which is $7.

Check the link for a trailer and some info on different kinds of towers you can build in the game.

#12 munoi

munoi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:50 AM

actually I went ahead and bought the game from the JP store, for some odd reason the game is in 100% English. Does it automatically check your region or something? anyway I'm addicted and the leader boards just add to it. As of right now for the first stage there was over 1000 scores posted up.

As for the game itself there are lots of towers and as you've seen in the trailers you control the character directly instead of using a cursor, this in itself I feel separates monsters from the other TOD games. Additionally they're 4 sets of stages easy, medium, hard (haven't made there yet) and special (stages with special prerequisites) not to say others do not. For example on easy stage 2 or 3 you can't receive gold from monsters so you have to place your towers wisely

Lastly each stage is set up in waves each containing the same type of monster (from what I've seen) with each stage doubling the number of waves (again a guess since I'm only on medium) Getting through the stages is mostly trail and error since the monsters tend to just miss your towers. Really this is a great game if your into watching monsters run through your custom made gauntlet, I say one of the top 5 games for the psn.

As for towers they are
Anti-air (air)
All (all)
Ground (ground+splash)
Fire (ground+splash)
Ice (Slows+Ground)
Swarm tower (all w/ infinite range/ however weak)
Laser tower (air/line damage)
mortar tower (ground+splash)
Electric tower (ground)

hope you guys like it

#13 NamPaehc

NamPaehc

!Anihc Ni Hsan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:57 AM

actually I went ahead and bought the game from the JP store, for some odd reason the game is in 100% English. Does it automatically check your region or something? anyway I'm addicted and the leader boards just add to it. As of right now for the first stage there was over 1000 scores posted up.

As for the game itself there are lots of towers and as you've seen in the trailers you control the character directly instead of using a cursor, this in itself I feel separates monsters from the other TOD games. Additionally they're 4 sets of stages easy, medium, hard (haven't made there yet) and special (stages with special prerequisites) not to say others do not. For example on easy stage 2 or 3 you can't receive gold from monsters so you have to place your towers wisely

Lastly each stage is set up in waves each containing the same type of monster (from what I've seen) with each stage doubling the number of waves (again a guess since I'm only on medium) Getting through the stages is mostly trail and error since the monsters tend to just miss your towers. Really this is a great game if your into watching monsters run through your custom made gauntlet, I say one of the top 5 games for the psn.

As for towers they are
Anti-air (air)
All (all)
Ground (ground+splash)
Fire (ground+splash)
Ice (Slows+Ground)
Swarm tower (all w/ infinite range/ however weak)
Laser tower (air/line damage)
mortar tower (ground+splash)
Electric tower (ground)

hope you guys like it

Hmm that is weird because I thought I read the delay was over translation.

How much is it on there, maybe it'll help us get an idea on price for the US.

Posted Image

#14 dallow

dallow

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:58 AM

Wow, thanks for the info man!
I'm getting it day 1, I'm addicted to these fresh PSN games.

#15 chodax

chodax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:38 AM

Seems fun, I already have like 10 PSN games already though and I barely play those, so I'm not sure :(

#16 munoi

munoi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

In the Jp store it was 900 yen, my guess is that'll cost the same as pixel junk racers

#17 flashburn

flashburn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:01 PM

Can you upgrade each tower after you build them?

#18 munoi

munoi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

yes, though it only increases the range. Also in order to recieve new towers you need a certain number of gems,in addition by exploring the map you may find extra gems and coins

oh yeah if you get hit by the monsters you only lose coins not gems

#19 NamPaehc

NamPaehc

!Anihc Ni Hsan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:57 PM

yes, though it only increases the range. Also in order to recieve new towers you need a certain number of gems,in addition by exploring the map you may find extra gems and coins

oh yeah if you get hit by the monsters you only lose coins not gems

Those kind of things seem to be added to help console gamers ease into the "PC" type of gameplay. I think it is a smart move having you control a character instead of a cursor and have him have tasks to complete. But do you think it dumbs it down to much or adds to the experiance?

Posted Image

#20 dallow

dallow

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:05 AM

PixelJunk Monsters demo is now up in the JPN store.
100% English.

Holy crap it's way more fun than I thought! Nice take on the 'tower' style gameplay! I want more!

#21 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:58 AM

PixelJunk Monsters demo is now up in the JPN store.
100% English.

Holy crap it's way more fun than I thought! Nice take on the 'tower' style gameplay! I want more!

It's definitely going to be a fun game. Can't wait for Thursday.

#22 NamPaehc

NamPaehc

!Anihc Ni Hsan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:20 AM

It mentioned the remote play option in the demo for the full game, which I totally forgot about. Was a lot of fun though so I can't wait.

Posted Image

#23 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:08 PM

Okay, I see that it allows high scores and that dallow has 8k on the one level in the demo. My closest total is 7600, so how the hell did you get that?

#24 munoi

munoi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:19 PM

Okay, I see that it allows high scores and that dallow has 8k on the one level in the demo. My closest total is 7600, so how the hell did you get that?

I believe it has to do with the amount of coins/jewels left over... as in the less towers you build the better your score

#25 dallow

dallow

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:34 PM

The less the better?

Hmm.

(didn't even know there was a score!)

#26 chodax

chodax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:52 PM

The less the better?

Hmm.

(didn't even know there was a score!)

x2

#27 dallow

dallow

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:00 AM

Now wait a minute! How do you check the scores on PJ Monsters?

#28 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:06 AM

It's cute. The 500 Yen for both games gives me hope that it'll be $4.99 or less, at which point I'll likely jump on it.

Then again, IMO they should pay you $10 to buy Pixel Junk Racers, so maybe Monsters will launch at $14.99. ;)
Posted Image

#29 chodax

chodax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

You can also get the fire tower btw buy buying it at the hut

#30 dallow

dallow

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

Dangit, how did I miss that?
"i drive a rolls royce / cause it's good for my voice"