Photo
- - - - -

(UPDATE) Buy a Nintendo DS, get Super Mario 64 DS for free at all major retailers

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#1 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:48 PM

I know this had been posted as part of the EB June sale, but I just got word that this will be offered at all "participating retailers" across the country. Nintendo produced national TV spots for it yesterday. As far as a start date for the sale, I am going to guess June 12, for thats when the EB sale starts.

UPDATE: Stores confirmed so far

EB Games, thanks Scahom1 link: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=54032

ebgames.com avail now!!!
http://www.ebgames.c...duct/241868.asp

Best Buy, thanks TXboxGuY link:
http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=54789

Sears, thanks TXboxGuY, see page five for pic

Kmart, thanks Dogpatch, see page 7

Gamestop confirmed (starts June15), thanks Chacrana, see page 8

Gamestop.com plat: http://www.gamestop....uct_id=B020225L

gamestop.com blue:
http://www.gamestop....uct_id=B020252A

Walmart and walmart.com confirmed, thanks JJNova link: http://www.walmart.c...595173720093424

fry's, thanks hiccupleftovers see page 9

official full list of stores link:

http://www.nintendods.com/mario/

I will update as I get info :)

#2 Strider Turbulence

Strider Turbulence

Son of the Old Gods

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:51 PM

Damn good deal. If it were any game other than Mario 64 being offered I'd pick another DS up.

birdie-intro.gifAlpha 2

#3 paul6

paul6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:56 PM

This should work with the new Electric Blue colored DS, correct?

#4 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:02 PM

Hmmm....might have to grab a 2nd DS soon....I have Mario 64 but I could trade it or Ebay it.

#5 BIG5

BIG5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:07 PM

I have neither, so I'm in luck. I guess I can look at this as a $30 price drop on DS since Mario 64 is the first game I would get anyway. And I have a July birthday!

Ah, yes, and now the question of color. I think I still like Platinum. If Electric Blue came out first and Platinum was the new color, (sort of like with GBA) I'd definately pick it.

#6 MaxBiaggi2

MaxBiaggi2

Assistant Produce Manager

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:13 PM

The system is looking a little better with a free pack-in game, but I'm still not ready to bite at this point. I've already got Mario 64 on N64, so I'm still looking for a better price or a better pack-in game before I purchase a DS.

#7 David85

David85

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:24 PM

You know he said Mario 64.

I'll wait until Christmas when it's $130, witha free game. I would pick one up if it were $100 except I still think Nintendo will release a "newer" version, and frankly I hate the buttons on the thing.
"It (Wii) would be a complete failure if we didn't sell more units than the Nintendo GameCube". - Satoru Iwata 2005

"If you asked me if Sony's strength in hardware was in decline, right now I guess I would have to say that might be true." - Ken Kutaragi 9-9-06

Finally they speak the truth.

#8 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:29 PM

its a good deal, espicially with nintendodogs coming out soon

#9 Gothic Walrus

Gothic Walrus

Goo Goo G'Joob.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:32 PM

I'll wait until Christmas when it's $130, witha free game. I would pick one up if it were $100 except I still think Nintendo will release a "newer" version, and frankly I hate the buttons on the thing.

Who says it's going to be $130 with a free game at Christmas? That seems like it was pulled out of nowhere.

In any case, good luck finding one at Christmas. My sister got a PS2 last year, and it took much more time and effort than I'd expected it to. The DS is still relatively new, and I'm thinking that there's going to be a good amount of demand for it come the holidays.

I miss the era where all of the consoles came with pack-in games...

ah, a voice of logic in the form of a walrus

#10 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:32 PM

You know, I was going to wait until they released the DS in black to get one, but this makes it very tempting...

#11 GuilewasNK

GuilewasNK

No gimmicks necessary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:35 PM

Nice deal.

Posted Image

It is illegal to assault the internet. - Xi Yanchun

click for my list ---> Posted Image RPGS added!

#12 Monsta Mack

Monsta Mack

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:38 PM

This and Feel the Magic were the only two "must haves" at launch, and now that one comes free...

Good deal.

#13 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:50 PM

i seriously doubt the ds will be 130 at christmas, let alone with a free game. why do people think the ds will drop in price, sales are doing fine and they have TONS of killer app games coming out in november

Posted Image

#14 scdoanintendo

scdoanintendo

Nintendo = Gaming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:01 PM

If this is true I know Sony will have to do something similar with the PSP. If they don't this could gain some serious ground for the DS.

#15 GuilewasNK

GuilewasNK

No gimmicks necessary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:05 PM

The only thing that really kept me from buying a DS was that it doesn't play GB and GB Color games. If it did I would have bought one the day it came out.

Posted Image

#16 hiccupleftovers

hiccupleftovers

Worst Poster on CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:05 PM

Woo! Won't have to be constrained to EB. Good to know that if they run out I can go elsewhere for one. Now which color electric blue (blue being my favorite color) or the classic original like I have gone with the past few GBs.

#17 hiccupleftovers

hiccupleftovers

Worst Poster on CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:07 PM

The only thing that really kept me from buying a DS was that it doesn't play GB and GB Color games. If it did I would have bought one the day it came out.

Same here. That was another reason why I didn't pick it up since I liked the backwards generational compatibility of the GBA. Still, this one isn't too bad with compatibility with GBA games.

#18 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:11 PM

This should work with the new Electric Blue colored DS, correct?

It should... I mean, Nintendo released the Blue DS just this week so I don't see why it'd be excluded from this deal. I hope it does work though because I don't really want the same silver DS that everyone has... and blue is just better.

it was probably in there because I'm a flaming homosexual.

#19 Vard

Vard

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:15 PM

Awesome deal. I already have a DS, but now I can try convincing some friends to be picking it up.

#20 GuilewasNK

GuilewasNK

No gimmicks necessary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:22 PM

Is Mario 64 DS still fun without an analog stick?

Posted Image

#21 hiccupleftovers

hiccupleftovers

Worst Poster on CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:23 PM

I just had a crazy thought, if this deal is indeed going to be at all major retailers than maybe Fry's will have something similiar but even better (knowing Fry's that is).:drool:

#22 Spaceboy176

Spaceboy176

GOOD cheap games rock!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:24 PM

Flat out, DS rocks! I already own one along with Mario 64 DS. Having a DS along with Mario 64 was worth it to me. Playing GBA Advance games on DS rocks as well. PLENTY of killer aps coming out this year for DS. Metroid Prime Hunters, Nintendogs, Mario Kart DS, Electroplankton and more. Need I say more? I wouldn't be looking to see a price drop ANYTIME soon!

#23 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:26 PM

It wasn't for me at first because I didn't realize if you use the d-pad you need to hold down a button (similar to the old school super mario bros.) in order to run. Once I stopped being stupid it was great. It isn't as percise as the analog stick but I didn't have any problems playing.

#24 tornadomann

tornadomann

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:28 PM

I know this had been posted as part of the EB June sale, but I just got word that this will be offered at all "participating retailers" across the country. Nintendo produced national TV spots for it yesterday. As far as a start date for the sale, I am going to guess June 12, for thats when the EB sale starts.

I hope it does start June 12th for that is my Birthday and I will have money to buy one!
Posted Image
Custom Sig by: onetrackmind
Me and some friends TV show: http://www.mytwb.com
we are also now on itunes, just search bradman and download our episodes for free!
My collection: http://users.ign.com...ion/tornadomann
My DVD's: http://www.dvdaficio...&id=tornadomann

#25 dcfox

dcfox

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:34 PM

I thought it controlled pretty well with the thumb pad and the touch screen. The only thing is for narrow walkways and the such, I still have to go back to the D pad.

#26 Spaceboy176

Spaceboy176

GOOD cheap games rock!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:38 PM

I had no problem with the digital (D pad) controls. What a great game! The addition of Luigi, Yoshi and Wario as playable characters just adds to the fun!

#27 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:17 PM

I am hoping Walmart will have this deal since I got some credit there.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#28 anonymouswhoami

anonymouswhoami

CAG Hall of Fame

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:24 PM

Flat out, DS rocks! I already own one along with Mario 64 DS. Having a DS along with Mario 64 was worth it to me. Playing GBA Advance games on DS rocks as well. PLENTY of killer aps coming out this year for DS. Metroid Prime Hunters, Nintendogs, Mario Kart DS, Electroplankton and more. Need I say more? I wouldn't be looking to see a price drop ANYTIME soon!

You wouldn't happen to be Reggie Fils-Aime, would you? Playing a port of a 10 year old game doesn't sound that exciting, nor does playing GBA games on a unit that's twice the size of my GBA SP. Nintendogs could be a killer ap, but I really don't see anything else on the horizon that would cause me to spend $100, much less $150 in upgrading from my GBA.

#29 evilmax17

evilmax17

Yardsaling CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:27 PM

You wouldn't happen to be Reggie Fils-Aime, would you? Playing a port of a 10 year old game doesn't sound that exciting, nor does playing GBA games on a unit that's twice the size of my GBA SP. Nintendogs could be a killer ap, but I really don't see anything else on the horizon that would cause me to spend $100, much less $150 in upgrading from my GBA.

Didn't you follow E3? The DS had the best showing, with tons of great games from all genres coming out.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:28 PM

Are you employed by Nintendo of America? Playing a port of a 10 year old game doesn't sound that exciting, nor does playing GBA games on a unit that's twice the size of my GBA SP. Nintendogs could be a killer ap, but I really don't see anything else on the horizon that would cause me to spend $100, much less $150 in upgrading from my GBA.

Not trying to sway you but. Mario has been updated as there are more stars to collect, 3 more playable characters, and also includes some new stylus mini-games. The main game is the same but it is still a lot of fun even 10 years later. Playing GBA games on the DS is pretty great mainly because of the backlight screen. The games look great. I too didn't really care for it until I saw the difference. There are a slew of great titles coming Metroid, New Super Mario Bros., Sonic, Viewtiful Joe, Castlevania, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and more.