CAGcast #103: Download This!

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:13 AM

CheapyD and Wombat get upset by downloadable content, the Xbox Live lawsuit, and pretty much everything else. However, we pull ourselves together to discuss the latest gaming and shopping news, your CAGbag questions, and so much more!

Win an HDTV, a year's supply of Old Spice, and a Mad Catz Xbox 360 prize pack!
Win AirDrives Interactive Stereo Earphones and an iPod Shuffle!
Thanks, UGO!

Stab Meet Wombat at the Advance Wars Launch Event at the Nintendo World Store, 1/20 at 1pm.

Nintendo World Store
10 Rockefeller Plaza, NYC

1) The first 25 people in line will get a free copy of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin!
2) Multiple contests with awesome Nintendo prizes
3) Nintendo characters for photo ops!

http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast103.mp3
Download - 117 minutes, 54MB
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):
Spoiler

Bonus pictures
Posted Image Posted Image

Bonus video - Wombat at Nintendo World Store
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr3F1HZ4R5k

#2 weevles

weevles

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:05 AM

Sweet! Better late than never, I always say.

Well, ok I don't always say that.

#3 StarWarpCrackerWave

StarWarpCrackerWave

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:14 AM

Wombat eating those 100 calories oreos made me hungry for oreos at 2 am. So I'm about to go walk to 7-11 and get some.......
So far an entertaining great show I'll keep listening during the walk.

#4 bigtymer

bigtymer

High End Space Cop

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:26 AM

100 calorie packs...control yourself don't let Nabisco control you.
Cashmere is goat wool. Its spelling is a bastardization of Kashmir

#5 twen

twen

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:26 AM

Stabby stabby!
Posted Image

#6 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:27 AM

Swoosh, kink

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#7 Ragekod

Ragekod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:27 AM

Stabby stabby!

Knife fight?
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:35 AM

Alright, thanks.

#9 JDUB X

JDUB X

CAG 2.0 GET!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:44 AM

Thanks!
Posted Image

#10 StarWarpCrackerWave

StarWarpCrackerWave

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:31 AM

We must see this Hip hop CheapyD.

#11 Trenchalicious

Trenchalicious

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:36 AM

Take that OMG Blu-ray trolls!

#12 Alphant

Alphant

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:58 AM

I forgot all about Jacky boy....

#13 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:09 AM

Regarding Suda 51, in 2006 he said the following:

IGN: Why did you choose the Wii for Heroes?

Suda: People will probably buy the Wii and play family games like Wii Sports, so we decided to develop Heroes for the Wii because gamers might get tired of the family games eventually. Also, people who are going to buy the Wii are interested in trying something different, something that's an extraordinary action game.

Killer7 sold 28k LTD in Japan between the PS2 and Gamecube which together made a huge install base for the game. NMH has about 12k known sales in Japan on only 4.8 million consoles. NMH is doing better than his other games, he just needs context.

In regards to 3rd parties in Japan, they outperformed 3rd parties on PS3/360 in 2007, despite the attach rate. Add in vastly lower dev costs for those games as a bonus.

3rd parties cant avoid competing with Nintendo just by avoiding their platform.

For Japan in 2007, 1st Party Nintendo software on the Wii outsold all other non-1st party Wii software. That is to say (1st+3rd Party for 360+PS3, along with 3rd party Wii).

Same story with the DS. 1st party DS >3rd Party DS + ALL PSP combined.

Thats a failing of 3rd parties to compete across the board, not just on a single platform.

#14 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:17 AM

I'll listen tonight, but I wonder why the lawyers for the XBL lawsuit haven't made it a class action suit. I, and a lot of other people I'm sure, would join in.
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 (360), Black Ops (360)

Posted Image

#15 Jackal888

Jackal888

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:48 AM

Bionic Commando ReArmed looks great for PSN and XBLA. No online co-op for the game. They did say there are other modes that they keeping secret.

I agree with CheapyD about DLC.There is another exception Killzone:Liberation. They added another level to the game and a multiplayer online mode.

Hype-Wagon:Bionic Commando ReArmed,Patapon,Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel 2: Sons of Liberty, B-Boy,Metal Gear Online

Wombat -World Games for Commodore64 had a game with Caber Tossing.Similar to your"World's Strongest Man" game idea.
Posted Image
Wombat "Someone told me to reboot my face!"
CheapyD "I am having a cucumber day!"

#16 Ugamer_X

Ugamer_X

You can trust me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:06 PM

Tongue-in-cheek guys, look it up. I don't comment on the CAGcast so I can harass you over your pronounciation. ;)

#17 Trenchalicious

Trenchalicious

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:21 PM

Wombat is right with Hot Dogs though.

#18 gorgo

gorgo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:36 PM

Cheapy, Wombat, good show as always! One IMPORTANT correction:

You CAN use your GH2 and GH3 guitars with Rock Band on the 360. In fact, they are preferred to the guitar that comes with Rock Band (mine broke already, they replaced it for free, but it's pretty much reserved for bass use).

Rock Band is fun as hell, my wife and I play it together almost every night.

#19 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:45 PM

Cheapy, Wombat, good show as always! One IMPORTANT correction:

You CAN use your GH2 and GH3 guitars with Rock Band on the 360. In fact, they are preferred to the guitar that comes with Rock Band (mine broke already, they replaced it for free, but it's pretty much reserved for bass use).

Rock Band is fun as hell, my wife and I play it together almost every night.

He was referring to the PS3 version.

#20 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:35 PM

quick correction Cheapy, a 360 game is about 4.7GB since that's all a single 360 DVD disc can hold. btw, nice hat!

Wombat, good luck with the car thing. i can't believe you got it FREE! that's the ultimate deal, lol...
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#21 traslin

traslin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:05 PM

quick correction Cheapy, a 360 game is about 4.7GB since that's all a single 360 DVD disc can hold. btw, nice hat!

Wombat, good luck with the car thing. i can't believe you got it FREE! that's the ultimate deal, lol...

Actually, I think 4.7 GB is the maximum size for a single layer disk. I believe a dual layer disk can hold up to 8.5 GB.

#22 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:11 PM

Actually, I think 4.7 GB is the maximum size for a single layer disk. I believe a dual layer disk can hold up to 8.5 GB.

oh yes, you're right. i was thinking of DVD-5 but 360 games are DVD-9. ^^;;;

o yea Cheapy, i can't wait for you to check out Harvey Birdman. i love that show, it's totally hilarious! :D
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#23 Kfoster1979

Kfoster1979

Fanboys Suck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

You CAN NOT use the Xbox guitar on the PS3, I plugging mine in and will not work.

Oh yeah I almost forgot WTF about the day care thing? I work full time and so does my wife we need child care. It's a bit better now that my son is in School most of the day, but really wtf makes someone a fake. I know I should make my wife quit her job and stay at home, cook my food, and take care of the kid hell is it 1953 again jack ass. Hell I guess Cheapy running his site and doing the CAGcast is'nt a job.

[B]3DS FC 1977-0174-5552
Follow me on Twitter
Posted Image

#24 youruglyclone

youruglyclone

Last Man in Userplane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

Re: Apollo Justice

Spoiler

weather pending, it seems I might have to do this Advance Wars event.

#25 InuFaye

InuFaye

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

Normally I dont hold much beef about what you say, but this time stuff seemed to get under my skin.

You continue on your OMG 5 gig install issue with DMC4. You failed to see where I said it eliminated ALL LOAD TIMES in the game. Therefore making the game a more streamlined expirence. Personally I would rather have a 20 min install time, and have no load times, then have to worry about load times while going in and out of enviornments.

The second thing I have noticed is that if its not a first person shooter, Cheapy seems to turn his nose up at it. It might just be me but it just seems this way.

Next, I dont know why you single out Virtua Fighter 5 for having downloadable content thats already on the disc, its not like any of those items are going to take away from the game. If you want to get on someone for downloadable content, get on EA, espically EA Sport, charging for alternate jerseys? Whats next paying to have grass on the field? Please dont aim your hate at download content for a game that does not deserve it.

Also Congratz to wombat on hosting the Advance Wars launch. I would be there to stalk you if I lived closer to NY.

Thanks guys and Keep Up the good work.

#26 Trenchalicious

Trenchalicious

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

stfu fool, the point isn't about no load times.

#27 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:15 PM

Wombat eating those 100 calories oreos made me hungry for oreos at 2 am. So I'm about to go walk to 7-11 and get some.......

Listening to him crinkling the package was freakin annoying.

Is it so hard to go an hour without eating?

I disagree with the nonsense about the Wii being only for non-gamers. It is simply not for hardcore gamers. There are plenty of regular games for the Wii. As someone who has a busy life -kids, career, other hobbies, I don't need 10 games a week. 1 solid release a month is plenty plus the a few mini-games for the nights when I only have a spare 30 minutes to play.

I would be nice if the two of you could appreciate consoles from perspectives beyond your own.

#28 Indifference

Indifference

gameenthus.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

I don't know who wrote in about daycare but perhaps they are living in the 60's. Many men and women have full-time jobs, thus explaining the reason why daycare centers are EVERYWHERE. And take it from someone who knows, I have two kids and daycare is crazy expensive but quite necessary.

#29 mriswyth

mriswyth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:49 PM

Wombat, many congratulations on the MC gig. Public speaking seems like something that would be right up your alley.

Way to go and hopefully the engagements keep on coming.

#30 Nobi-Wan

Nobi-Wan

Knifey-Spoony Champion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:50 PM

The 360 uses a dual layered DVD. Double that number there.

Normally I dont hold much beef about what you say, but this time stuff seemed to get under my skin.

You continue on your OMG 5 gig install issue with DMC4. You failed to see where I said it eliminated ALL LOAD TIMES in the game. Therefore making the game a more streamlined expirence. Personally I would rather have a 20 min install time, and have no load times, then have to worry about load times while going in and out of enviornments.

Dude, it's not about load times. It's about taking up a huge amount of space on your hard drive. If you have a 40 gig HDD on a PS3, then 5 gigs is 12.5% of that.