CAGcast #108: Out of the Closet

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:37 AM

Wombat and Cheapy get their hands on Super Smash Brothers, discuss GDC, new releases, industry news, your CAGbag questions, and so much more!
Mrs. Wombat also makes a special guest appearance!

Win Devil May Cry 4 (PS3) w/Art Book!

http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast108.mp3
Download - 117 minutes, 54MB
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Pictures!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:58 AM

"They'll take American commercials and dub them into English."
Is it just me or has Mrs. Wombat come down with a Long Island accent since her last appearence? Did Wombat just call CheapyD a hymen?

Outfit Cheapy wishes the wife would wear:
Posted Image
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#3 smellytim

smellytim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:45 AM

keeping this episode on the downlow i see. I might just listen to it. Cheapy you need to catch up on Phoenix Wright or Apollo Justice, rather. its good.

#4 StarWarpCrackerWave

StarWarpCrackerWave

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:47 AM

Wow that KITT car looks awesome. About to listen to the show.
Here's the Billy Blanks movie. I think I saw it once before in Mexico. lol
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111174/

#5 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:28 AM

Theres more to the HD movie situation than just HDTV penetration. Theres also a general war on consumer apathy when so many of those HDTV users are fine watching SD content.

Most new TV buyers probably dont even have a CHOICE except to buy a HDTV.

#6 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:29 AM

Thorbahn, thats the exact outfit, except the shorts are blue.

#7 controlcommerce

controlcommerce

My Sega CD broke

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:09 AM

Woot. At least I can say I stayed up for this than that weak amazon wii deal.

Posted Image

#8 Trenchalicious

Trenchalicious

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:09 AM

Can't wait to listen, I am sure it will be solid.
1 CENT AUCTION STARTS: XBOX 360 & DS Game @ My ebay auctions!

#9 Ragekod

Ragekod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:13 AM

Can't wait to listen, I am sure it will be solid.

I can't wait as well.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 daft07

daft07

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:14 AM

Be clean.

#11 E*Master

E*Master

Cross Border Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:05 AM

Damn I will have to listen in the morning on my way to work.

#12 Jackal888

Jackal888

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:30 PM

Sorry I think that Hulu.com IP blocks.

Wombat is wrong about Patapon.You have to look at the screen. There are enemies you have to know when to use what command. The screen also pulses to help you with the rhythm. You play Elite Beat Agents and tap the DS constantly yet that is fun for you.The game also has a deep weapon and armor collection. You can play dress up with your army. There are mini games.The game is more than tap,tap,tap.
Wombat "Someone told me to reboot my face!"
CheapyD "I am having a cucumber day!"

#13 Ragekod

Ragekod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:55 PM

Hey cheapy if you like all things Night Rider related, you might want to check out the song title "Assassin" by the band "The muse." The song isn't Night Rider related, but listening to a guitar and drum version of the theme song is awesome.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:45 PM

listening to the show...

i didn't bother with the new Knight Rider TV show. i'm more excited about the KR movie cuz that car looks freakin cool in the movie poster. it's a Jag if i remember correctly.

good to hear mrs. Wombat on the show again :D

Cheapy, your George Takei impressions were hilarious! Oh my! XD
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#15 ScottG13

ScottG13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

I'm with you on the DLC vs. Disc Based expansion. I'll pay more per song via DLC for Rock Band songs than I would for one disc expansion from Activision, but its inconvenient to switch discs.

I'll probably buy $100+ in Rock Band DLC this year. Happy hour events at my condo have never been more entertaining. Guitar Hero is pretty much over at this point. Red Octane is now just a hardware developer. Activision is going to beat this poor horse to death.
Posted Image

#16 Simon D I

Simon D I

www.GamerClash.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:21 PM

Wow! A "Jerky Boys" reference within two minutes of the show? A W E S O M E !!!

"Pablo, honey, are you keeping yourself clean? Are you washing your ass? Pablo, honey, come to Florida honey. You,...you BASTID! YOU BASTID!"

Hahah, apart from that, GREAT SHOW as always! Cheapy, it was definitely fun getting on COD4 sunday night & talkin about the Knight Rider shit, you DEFINITELY have to join in on the fun all of us CAGs have been having on COD4 lately!

And Thorbahn, thank you for that image up there, it definitely made my day thinking of having a wife at home with that type of outfit! Daaaaaaamn!

Anyways, keep up the good work, Wombat, get started on stitching those three underoos together, and we'll catch you guys online, hopefully!

#17 SeanNOLA

SeanNOLA

Ohwur? Mybur.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

Merry Christmas! Its Val Kilmer! He's car-sized now....
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:37 PM

Merry Christmas! Its Val Kilmer! He's car-sized now....
Posted ImagePosted Image

DAYAM!
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#19 ArthurDigbySellers

ArthurDigbySellers

Not exactly a lightweight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:52 PM

Mario Kart Wii info that could have been researched in all of 30 seconds since GDC:

The wheel comes with the game.

You can use the following control schemes beyond the wheel:

- Wiimote
- Wiimote + Nunchuk
- Classic Controller
- GameCube controller

EDIT: Val may be a fattie now, but after watching "Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang," that dude can be really funny.

#20 Celticfan106

Celticfan106

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:53 PM

Great show as usual guys, Thanks for the answer on my question, I will try to sell it on ebay.

:bomb::applause:Posted Image:applause::bomb:

#21 Darknyss

Darknyss

Trophies 4TW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:55 PM

I'm surprised you guys are so hesitant with PixelJunk Monsters. I heard great things about it when it was released and thought it was a great game for $8. My wife and I had a ton of fun playing co-op.

#22 ScottG13

ScottG13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:45 PM

Jews are pussies?

Tell that to the Mossad.
Posted Image

#23 SeanNOLA

SeanNOLA

Ohwur? Mybur.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:06 PM

Okay, just finished listening to the CAGbag portion with RockSolid Audio, and I think I have to agree with him; educated video game journalists are diamonds in the rough, as opposed to just people that want to talk about games and have their own opinions heard.
I feel like the internet-based game journalism industry tends cater to a lowbrow audience, and as an educated adult, I often find myself starved for a more educated and academic approach to video game commentary.

I must admit, I have been overlooking the 1up Yours podcast, because I assumed from its name that it would be just another group of angry nerds talking about how much they hate owners of the system they don't own. When I gave it a listen, I was pleasently surprised at how knowledgable the hosts were, and how able they were to look past simple discussions of graphics and gameplay mechanics and dig their hands into more abstract issues. I listened for the first time last week and subscribed immediately afterwards.

I bring this up because RockSolidAudio works for 1up.com, and if these are the types of reviewers that he is accustomed to, then I agree with him 100%. Reviewers of that calibur are a rarity at best. However, I also see Cheapy's point that, like any game industry job that doesn't require special degrees or training, there are hundreds of hopefuls waiting for an opertunity to sink their teeth into the industry. However, although these hopefuls may have talent they often lack refinement.

I'm not saying they need a journalism degree, but just like a game tester doesn't need to know how to program, it makes a big difference when they do.

#24 weevles

weevles

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

Tagg'd

#25 DJSteel

DJSteel

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

with cheapy's tattoo.. you do cartwheels you can say WoW MoM
Posted ImagePosted Image
Mario kart Wii Code - 4597-0827-2394

#26 rogueweapon

rogueweapon

FREEyourMIND

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:16 PM

The new Knight Rider show was unwatchable! I can't believe you sat through 2hrs of that shit. I tolerated 20min before FF till the Hasselhoff cameo. It was about as painful to watch as the Transformers movie. Hey Wombat, google chemtrails, thats why Mrs. Wombat is sick. Everyone in the tristate area is sick.
Posted Image

GET SMART, sub my videos & favorites on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/rogueweapon

@rogueweapon twitter
http://www.twitter.com/rogueweapon

#27 CouRageouS

CouRageouS

Rootbeer=Superwater

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:22 PM

The section about written reviews is interesting. Personally I've moved on to watching the video reviews, mainly to see the visuals that go with what their saying. On IGN though, they just read the written review over the videos for the most part. Don't know if other sites do the same.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 ManOfKnives

ManOfKnives

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:28 PM

why do cheapy and wombat keep saying that older movies aren't likely to look good on blu-ray because they weren't made with a high definition transfer in mind?

i'm not an expert, but since 35mm film has greater detail than 1080p you should generally expect any movie to look good in HD nomatter how old it is. the only exception i can think of is that film degrades over time... but i don't think that's the issue here.

older movies are probably just more likely to have older, shitty transfers.

#29 futhamucka

futhamucka

Hedgehog Plucker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

Wombat is dead wrong on Patapon. The actual rhythm parts are only half the game, it has a surprisingly deep squad management system and is quite tactical. It's also only $20! Bargain.

The demo's up on the PS store now, there's no excuse not to check it out.

#30 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:21 PM

The new Knight Rider show was unwatchable! I can't believe you sat through 2hrs of that shit. I tolerated 20min before FF till the Hasselhoff cameo. It was about as painful to watch as the Transformers movie. Hey Wombat, google chemtrails, thats why Mrs. Wombat is sick. Everyone in the tristate area is sick.

Well, I saw it with the commercials edited out, so it was only 1hr 20 minutes of that shit.