Cheapy's favorite japanese beer?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 variablesunknown

variablesunknown

Artful Dodger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:47 PM

I remember cheapy being asked this question a long time ago from the cagbag, does anyone remember his answer?

I don't think it was asahi or sapporo, could it have been kirin ichiban? Anyone know? If cheapy is reading this could you answer the question again? Thanks Cags!
"Brian, I am going to be honest with you...that smells like pure gasoline". Ron Burgundy's take on Sex Panther cologne

#2 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:33 AM

I'm pretty sure Cheapy's preference is asahi.

Or I don't know what I'm talking about.

#3 Nephlabobo

Nephlabobo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:55 PM

Sapporo is better.

#4 variablesunknown

variablesunknown

Artful Dodger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:20 PM

I love going to BevMo and trying different beers from round' the world and I have to say that Kirin Ichiban is pretty good, not complex but a really smooth drinking beer. I'll have to try Asahi and Sapporo.
"Brian, I am going to be honest with you...that smells like pure gasoline". Ron Burgundy's take on Sex Panther cologne

#5 ma

ma

Rattled By The Rush

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:04 PM

I really like Kirin Ichiban, but on the bottle it says it's brewed in the U.S. WTF? Am I deluding myself when I buy this?

#6 variablesunknown

variablesunknown

Artful Dodger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:19 PM

I am bummed that Ichiban is brewed by anheuser-busch, maybe it is fake japanese beer. Tastes better than any other American mega-beer.

Also, does anyone else love Sake? Have any favorite brands?

#7 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:44 AM

Here are my favorites:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I really like Kirin Ichiban, but on the bottle it says it's brewed in the U.S. WTF? Am I deluding myself when I buy this?

I believe that they buy the recipe from the original company and then just brew it themselves. However, I'd imagine the Japanese version has a higher alcohol content. Most Japanese beer is 5.5% and I believe most American beer is around 3.5%.

#8 Kilraven

Kilraven

Mighty Meth Power!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:05 PM

On average, American beer is about 5%; however, most lights/lites are closer to 4%. The problem being some states place a limit on alcohol content by volume for beer. Some prissy, goody-two-shoe states limit it at 4%, while other more civilized states allow 6% (could be wrong on that, might be 5%).

#9 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:08 PM

As soon as I saw the thread title I began craving Yebisu. Man - the one sushi place we go to regularly no longer carries it b/c the distributor dropped it (no market for it, sadly).

Guess I may go on a liquor store hunt tonight.
Posted Image

#10 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:31 PM

They don't have many choices but I do like Japanese beer in general, it always goes well with food. Yebisu is my favorite.

#11 garrett_in_the_hat

garrett_in_the_hat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:58 PM

Its all about Sapporo. I want a sake bomb now.

#12 SeanNOLA

SeanNOLA

Ohwur? Mybur.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:46 PM

I like Hitachino Nest beers, particularly the White Ale. A few of the local bars here carry it, and I get it every now and then when I'm not looking to get hammered.
Posted Image

#13 ma

ma

Rattled By The Rush

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:50 PM

I believe that they buy the recipe from the original company and then just brew it themselves. However, I'd imagine the Japanese version has a higher alcohol content. Most Japanese beer is 5.5% and I believe most American beer is around 3.5%.

Well, the U.S. web site says it's 4.95% so we're not getting too robbed. :)

#14 EastBayAnt

EastBayAnt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:28 AM

I like Sapporo. I enjoy sake as well, although like other wines, I don't really know enough about them to appreciate subtleties among similar types.

Luckily I have the rest of my life to experience and learn... :beer:

"Virtual Console?!? Original hardware, fool!!!"

#15 Kfoster1979

Kfoster1979

Fanboys Suck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:38 AM

I like Hitachino Nest beers

Yes Hitachino Nest Beers rock, I just had an XH for the first time last week and it was good. I like the Red Rice the best so far of what I have had. Asahi is the best Japanesesbeer that I have had all around.

Someone asked about Sake I too am a fan, but I have no favorite brand.

[B]3DS FC 1977-0174-5552
Follow me on Twitter
Posted Image

#16 Nephlabobo

Nephlabobo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:40 PM

Asahi is terrible.