52 replies to this topic

#1 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

MVP Baseball 2005 (XBox) - $4.99 - New - Amazon.com

Posted Image

While a bit out of date in terms of players, it's still arguably the best baseball game created, and for $5 it's a steal.

MVP Baseball 2005 is currently NOT Backwards Compatable.
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 (360), Black Ops (360)

Posted Image

#2 Sofa King Cheap

Sofa King Cheap

Sofa King Cheap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:41 PM

just a heads up...

this is actually from target.com through amazon
"Kyle, I have a full day of watching TV tomorrow. I don't have time to go on a poo hunt right now, okay?" -- a memorable quote from South Park's "A Very Crappy Christmas" episode

#3 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:49 PM

just a heads up...

this is actually from target.com through amazon

Ah thanks, hadn't noticed that.

Posted Image

#4 Krymner

Krymner

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:49 PM

I can testify to the greatness of MVP '05. I have it for Gamecube and it is arguably the most complete baseball video game ever. It is packed with so many options (player creation, A, AA, and AAA teams, great stat tracking, manager mode, dynasty mode, and several mini-games). I love the gameplay mechanics during pitching/batting and the controls are tight. The AI is adjustable, and can be pretty challenging. It is the best baseball sim I have ever played, hands down.

#5 ErynKD

ErynKD

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:53 PM

i feel like buying 10 more copies at that price; i am in love with this game.

#6 jdawgg76

jdawgg76

RIP Stan the Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:11 PM

Avoid paying shipping and get it for 4.99 at Sears in the frontlane section.
Posted Image
Waiting for: WRC 2010 and WRC 2 and WRC 3:cry:
Now playing:
:360: Forza Horizon, Halo Series
:wii: Collecting Dust
:ps3: Collecting Dust
:pc: Diablo 3, Walking Dead
When I'm not watching Grimm and Firefly on Hulu.

#7 classact

classact

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:43 PM

Xbox claims its BC but it's not, I was pretty disappointed with that cause this was is the greatest baseball game ever made.

#8 zman73

zman73

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:49 PM

wow... might have to crack open the copy I got from CC a few years back for a couple bucks
"...and I was so anxious to get out of bed I stepped on her face"
from Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

Coming to you from the home of Mardi Gras... Mobile Alabama
http://mardigras.new...m/history.shtml

http://gulfcoastrunn...ace=mcm&yr=2008
November 29 2008... my first marathon... 26.2 miles of hell

#9 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:22 PM

Xbox claims its BC but it's not, I was pretty disappointed with that cause this was is the greatest baseball game ever made.

It was originally on the list for the last update along with MVP 03 and 04, but it was edited and corrected in the press releases when it was found to be erroneously on the list.

Posted Image

#10 Hybrid5006

Hybrid5006

White Trash Ballin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:26 PM

Great baseball game! You can get it at GS for under $5 used, if you don't want to pay for the shipping. I don't know why they stopped making the MVP series.... todays baseball games just don't stack up!

#11 legs1986

legs1986

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

Great baseball game! You can get it at GS for under $5 used, if you don't want to pay for the shipping. I don't know why they stopped making the MVP series.... todays baseball games just don't stack up!

They stopped making it, because while EA bought exclusive rights to the NFL, 2K bought exclusive rights to MLB.

#12 doubledown

doubledown

Funky Daddy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:33 PM

Horrible that this is NOT BC. Oh well....The Show 08 will suffice ;)

#13 rebenns

rebenns

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

It's so lame that the previous installments were compatible, but not this one. I wouldn't be surprised to see this show up on the BC list at some point.
If you're a midget in a purple jumpsuit, you should never, EVER kick someone who looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger in the penis.

#14 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:37 PM

They stopped making it, because while EA bought exclusive rights to the NFL, 2K bought exclusive rights to MLB.

Explain The Show, then.
Posted Image

#15 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:40 PM

Explain The Show, then.

1st party developers can make their own MLB games. So, Sony can make them for the Sony systems, Microsoft for the 360, and Nintendo for their systems.

Posted Image

#16 sega_for_life

sega_for_life

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:44 PM

While the EA-NFL Deal is for all exclusive rights to make NFL games.....The 2K-MLB Deal is only for exclusive 3rd-Party rights to make MLB games. Which means that Nintendo can make an MLB game for Nintendo consoles and handhelds, Microsoft can make MLB games for Microsoft consoles and handhelds... AND Sony can make MLB games for Playstation consoles and handhelds only....if they so choose.
Posted Image

#17 Unwind23

Unwind23

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

Best baseball game ever made. Period.

#18 Drnick

Drnick

Champion Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:07 PM

MVP 05 is BY FAR the BEST Baseball game ever created... the graphics now look a little outdated but gameplay is damn near perfect. when will the contract expire with 2k sports so EA can make this game with an MLB license? I can't wait for that to happen.

with the newest Xbox 360 update, they actually had this listed as a new addition to the backward compatibility. I was psyched! only to be disappointed when I put the game in and it didn't work
-Dr. Nick

"The Best part was when he gave me my money!"
"Inflammable means flammable!? What a country!"

#19 rcavictor1956

rcavictor1956

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:11 PM

MVP 05 is BY FAR the BEST Baseball game ever created... the graphics now look a little outdated but gameplay is damn near perfect. when will the contract expire with 2k sports so EA can make this game with an MLB license? I can't wait for that to happen.

with the newest Xbox 360 update, they actually had this listed as a new addition to the backward compatibility. I was psyched! only to be disappointed when I put the game in and it didn't work

It was on the list and it does not work? Did you contact Microsoft...did anyone?

#20 MastaGamer

MastaGamer

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:53 PM

I find it ironic that the one time EA makes a great sports game, they end up losing the licence to make it...

On another note, MVP 2005 definitely is an excellent baseball game and seeing this brings back memories of spending hours with that damn game. Might have to dust off the old Xbox and play this again

#21 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

It was on the list and it does not work? Did you contact Microsoft...did anyone?

MS came out and said it was mistakenly on the list. It's not on their official lists now.

Posted Image

#22 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

Arguable the best baseball game ever.

#23 jollydwarf

jollydwarf

America's #1 Poster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:42 PM

It's so lame that the previous installments were compatible, but not this one. I wouldn't be surprised to see this show up on the BC list at some point.

I would. It's just like how you'll never see NFL 2K5 on the BC list; each game would undercut the sales of the actual 360 MLB and NFL games, respectively.

That said, this is one of the handful of games that still make owning an Xbox worthwhile.
"I like whipped cream a lot. I'll put whipped cream on anything."--Jessica Alba

Backlog at CRITICAL MASS...Backlog at CRITICAL MASS...Backlog at...

"What, you're still here? The post's over. Log off. Shoo! Shoo!"

#24 shady859

shady859

Big Blue Nation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:42 PM

Thankfully I have a PS3 and MLB The Show 08 because 2K baseball is rubbish. I miss the MVP baseball series... :(

Not sure the details of how Sony can make a baseball game even though 2K bought the MLB license but I don't care i'm just happy to have an option. I read a while back that 2K lost the NCAA license to EA so next year we get no GOOD college hoops game..... Bullshit if you ask me competition is good for gamers.

Gamers should get a vote in who makes our sports games.

Football EA
Basketball 2K
Baseball EA
Golf EA
Hockey who cares lol I mean EA (not much of a hockey guy but I enjoy my NHL 07)

#25 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:44 PM

I would. It's just like how you'll never see NFL 2K5 on the BC list; each game would undercut the sales of the actual 360 MLB and NFL games, respectively.

That said, this is one of the handful of games that still make owning an Xbox worthwhile.

NFL 2k5 IS BC.

So are MVP 03 and 04.

Posted Image

#26 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

Not sure the details of how Sony can make a baseball game even though 2K bought the MLB license but I don't care i'm just happy to have an option

As was mentioned earlier, 2K only has exclusive 3rd-party rights, so the consoles developers can make games for their own consoles (eg, The Show for Sony platforms). This obviously was an attempted rub on EA, seeing as it came soon after the NFL sold them the exclusive rights. EA, having already spent a boatload on that (coupled with the fact that baseball games are not that profitable), balked at the idea of paying extra for the MLB rights.

#27 jollydwarf

jollydwarf

America's #1 Poster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:52 PM

2K5? Really? "Curious."

And MVP 03 and 04 don't really represent a 'threat' to the 'current gen' games, hence their presence on the list.
"I like whipped cream a lot. I'll put whipped cream on anything."--Jessica Alba

Backlog at CRITICAL MASS...Backlog at CRITICAL MASS...Backlog at...

"What, you're still here? The post's over. Log off. Shoo! Shoo!"

#28 shady859

shady859

Big Blue Nation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:58 PM

As was mentioned earlier, 2K only has exclusive 3rd-party rights, so the consoles developers can make games for their own consoles (eg, The Show for Sony platforms). This obviously was an attempted rub on EA, seeing as it came soon after the NFL sold them the exclusive rights. EA, having already spent a boatload on that (coupled with the fact that baseball games are not that profitable), balked at the idea of paying extra for the MLB rights.

AHH I see said the blind man, didn't see that.... I wondered what the loophole was. :)

Edit: To the guy below, I was just joking about hockey. Just taking a shot since it's not as widespread of a sport and even gets buried on the VS channel. Hockey games are actually really fun for me even though it's the one major sport I don't really follow.

#29 Unickuta

Unickuta

I do believe we're naked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:59 PM

Hockey who cares lol I mean EA (not much of a hockey guy but I enjoy my NHL 07)

Around here, the only sports games any of my friends play online are all hockey games. The sport's pretty big from New Jersey to North Dakota, and Devils and Rangers games routinely sell out every game, while the Nets and Knicks are playing in front of barely any fans.

#30 Rozz

Rozz

We Trippy Mane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:10 PM

Well, MVP Baseball is still made, but it's now MVP NCAA Baseball. And it's not nearly as good. For some reason Microsoft bought the High Heat license from 3DO and never did anything with it. What the hell was the point of that?