PS2 General Info Thread

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 08 August 2003 - 05:21 PM

This sticky will be a place holder for all PS2 info that I deem noteworthy.

PS2 Online Game List - by Togepy

PS2 DVD Incompatibility List - from IGN

PS2 Disc Read Errors? - from Ars Technia

PS2 Co-op Games

#2 KSwoosh

KSwoosh

Posted 08 August 2003 - 05:59 PM

To many freakin' sports games and no good shooters. Thats why Live is much better.
XBox Live GamerTAG : KSwoosh
Games : Counter-Strike, Amped 2 and Unreal Championship.

#3 Rich

Rich

Quack-Quack.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2003 - 06:15 PM

SOCOM II. As long as they prevent the cheaters, it will surpass the first. It looks amazing. I spent 5 months from August to January until the cheating became just too bad so I moved onto MOHAA. If they prevent it, I'll be in paradise.

#4 SS4Brolly

SS4Brolly

1K posts & all I got was this lousy rank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2003 - 09:57 PM

To many freakin' sports games and no good shooters. Thats why Live is much better.

Exactly why I sold my Network Adaptor. Socom is not a fun game to play online. Tribes is the only decent shooter.
Got a problem that you need taken care of? Flame war going on thats out of control? Offensive posts?

PM me and I'll be glad to help

#5 LiquidKil

LiquidKil

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2003 - 09:47 AM

Never play on the North American lobbies, too many cheaters their. I play Canada West, awesome servers. Its not like the North American Servers where there are a few good people, a few moderately good people, and 75% newbies. It's a good mix of good and moderately good people. I like it. I've been playing there for at least 3 months without seeing a cheater once.

#6 Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants

Posted 28 August 2003 - 01:35 AM

Thats it? damn, live is better I think and no damn cheaters :!:

#7 Togepy

Togepy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2003 - 01:54 AM

Xbox Live has pretty much the same amount, but does have a few more shooters. And all games from now on are using the same DNAS software that Xbox Live uses to not allow people with modchips or cheat devices to play online.
Cause if you're not cheap, you're not trying!

#8 Spriggan240

Spriggan240

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2004 - 01:36 AM

Back to SS4Brolly's point, Tribes is probably one of the best shooting games to play online for the PS2 out now.

#9 guyver2077

guyver2077

CAG Original

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2004 - 01:48 AM

amen...live woops psgay online.......and everything else for that matter

1080i is for douchebags

#10 daphatty

daphatty

VTEC Bitches!

• Super Moderators

Posted 11 February 2004 - 02:33 PM

I expected more from some of you. Tribes and Socom are not simply shooters. They are First Person Shooters. When you say shooters it makes me thing of games like Einhander, R-Type, Radient Silvergun, and others like them. Let's differentiate from now on shall we?

#11 Syncmaster

Syncmaster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2004 - 01:44 AM

Ya, but suckers like you that play on xbox live have to pay a monthly fee and Ps2 dudes don't... I repeat... SUCKER!
My site www.stellarreviews.com..."Where old crappy games are showcased, and ridiculed to all hell!"
All about the old crappy games from EVERY SYSTEM! We scan the globe to find the best deals on ANY old games, and then report on the crappy ones! Funny stuff, check it out!

#12 Persain

Persain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2004 - 05:05 AM

a lot (like half,i watch lots of movies) of the movies listed on ign for my version of the ps2 do not have the problems listed. version 1.10

#13 Longhorn

Longhorn

Posted 05 March 2004 - 04:05 AM

Ya, but suckers like you that play on xbox live have to pay a monthly fee and Ps2 dudes don't... I repeat... SUCKER!

Umm...do you mind telling me since when was $50, for a year, a monthly fee? Thats the same price as a regular new video game, and if you play online a lot, then its more than worth the money. Plus with no cheaters and the great organization of XBL, I feel that I spent my ($30- Sale at CC) well, instead of the $40 I spend on a network adapter which I recentely traded.

#14 Alpha2

Alpha2

Custom user Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2004 - 04:25 AM

My god will you all quit with all this System war bullcrap? If you want a War thread start one someplace else. jesus.
http://therealalpha2.deviantart.com/

Oh so now you are using intelligence and common sense to win the arguement...that's low man! This is CAG and you aren't allowed to do that.

#15 magilacudy

magilacudy

Cheap as shell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2004 - 04:30 AM

Here's the truth. PS2 SUX XBOX SUX GC SUX

GO APEXTREME RULZZZZZZ
Posted Image

#16 punqsux

punqsux

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2004 - 04:31 AM

actully the ps2's free online play is a nice thing, id never pay for a live-type service for ps2

#17 punqsux

punqsux

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2004 - 04:37 AM

GO APEXTREME RULZZZZZZ

while you have a point, the $400 price tag will most likley kill this machine

#18 -Never4ever-

-Never4ever-

That Guy.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:59 PM

GO APEXTREME RULZZZZZZ

LMAO, Phantom's better!!!

#19 football0701

football0701

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:35 PM

there are getting to be many more sports games out there...which is slowly taking the price down on those games ( :lol: ) but yet, is getting old quickly, bcaz u cant do much different about sports games, everything is set in rules and all...
but shooter, and adventure games, they shold have more ....

#20 Oktoberfest

Oktoberfest

Posted 13 August 2004 - 01:19 AM

the DRE link doesn't work

#21 Chris Dillon

Chris Dillon

God Save The King

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:39 PM

Heres The Gamefaqs Faqs Page for DRE or the system in general. It helped me fix my ps2 and it just helped me with me sending mine in. Hopefully cheapy realises this because its not a big deal so i wont pm him.

http://www.gamefaqs....game/26308.html
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 gamefreak

gamefreak

Posted 24 August 2004 - 03:53 AM

Coop list! Much appriciated!
Posted Image

#23 Togepy

Togepy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:36 PM

I would appreciate it if everyone took a second to go to my PS2 Online Game List that is in the first post and click the ad on the top about NFSU 2. Thanks alot guys.
Cause if you're not cheap, you're not trying!

#24 oper00

oper00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2005 - 07:44 AM

I hope this question fits here. I just replaced my old ps2 with a slim one and set it up and tested it out and everything. The new buttons and disc tray were a little weird to get used to, but I liked the slimmed version alot.

So then after I get done testing things out, I reach for the off switch in the back as I normally would when I realized "WTF, where's the off switch??" Then I had to pull out the manual and found out that there is no off switch, you can only put it in standby mode. The manual says you can put it on standby mode, but to unplug it if not used for a long time.

Is a long time like a few days or a weeks?

Then one more thing. I was playing with my PS2 and after a couple hours, I noticed it got really hot fast. Er.. would this be considered normal? If that's the case, then my sleepless nights of RPG-ing will turn my PS2 into a molten slag. Because I realized that there's no cooling fan inside the console.

Anyone know if I'm worrying too much?

#25 gypc609

gypc609

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:05 AM

ok..I am on a mission till told other wise by my dad, he is looking for a good deal on "Return to Castle Wolfenstein".. So if any one out there can guide me in the right direction greatly appreciated..:) Thanx Gypc

#26 Scarletspeedster3

Scarletspeedster3

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:44 AM

Im looking for websites, tutorials, online shops, anything to do with PS2 Mods performance and case wise. But the thing is I don't really care about the Modchip thing. It seems drastic and I don't care about getting it to play certain disc's. All I really want to do is enhance its performance. Specifically finding ways to keep it cooler by getting better airflow. Can anybody help me out? Thanks.

#27 fatmanforlife99

fatmanforlife99

I need a weapon.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:31 AM

http://teammodders.com/index.php try that, it should help out alot.

There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?

#28 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:17 AM

I hope this question fits here. I just replaced my old ps2 with a slim one and set it up and tested it out and everything. The new buttons and disc tray were a little weird to get used to, but I liked the slimmed version alot.

So then after I get done testing things out, I reach for the off switch in the back as I normally would when I realized "WTF, where's the off switch??" Then I had to pull out the manual and found out that there is no off switch, you can only put it in standby mode. The manual says you can put it on standby mode, but to unplug it if not used for a long time.

Is a long time like a few days or a weeks?

Then one more thing. I was playing with my PS2 and after a couple hours, I noticed it got really hot fast. Er.. would this be considered normal? If that's the case, then my sleepless nights of RPG-ing will turn my PS2 into a molten slag. Because I realized that there's no cooling fan inside the console.

Anyone know if I'm worrying too much?

I was kind of annoyed by this too, but they said it's normal and not to worry. I used to unplug and even COVER my old fat PS2s and every one had problems. So now, I leave the 50001 I swapped my slim PStwo for in standby mode(unless there's going to be a t-storm, then I at least shut it down via the power switch). Someone DID disassemble a slim and I think they SHOWED a small fan situated on the bottom most part of the system, but I never felt any warm air being pushed out of the system. That's why I swapped for a fat PS2, because I didn't like the warmness.

In Japan the silver slim had multiple problems with compatability with BOTH PS1 and PS2 games and in the US I've read reports of silver slims bricking within a month of being bought. So, I guess the DREs are the least of peoples worries anymore with the now slim PStwo. Hell, even my one buddy whose family has a silver slim has had problems with it not wanting to read ANY discs because the spindle won't spin them the first or second time starting it up. Just another problem to add to Sony's JunkBox 2.

Oh and Cheapy, would you consider adding the following link to YouTube for people wanting to clean their DRE PS2's laser. It's a video which SHOWS the steps being done and doesn't tell people to adjust the height of their laser as a FIRST step(which can lead to disc scratching if done improperly). I think it's well done and if I had a video cam, I could've probably made the same type of vid, since I've done this umpteen times myself.

Here's the link, I think it shows how to do it QUITE well:

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#29 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:12 AM

I'll start here with my request. I'm looking for a listing of all PS2 games that run in 480p/progressive scan. Links or lists of games are appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-Game of Thrones season 1
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#30 jdawgg76

jdawgg76

RIP Stan the Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:33 PM

I'll start here with my request. I'm looking for a listing of all PS2 games that run in 480p/progressive scan. Links or lists of games are appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Just got an HDTV and am wondering the same thing. Also, what's the best way to hook up my PS2 to the new tv. Component I presume? Are generics good or should I go with Sony brand? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Posted Image
Waiting for: WRC 2010 and WRC 2 and WRC 3:cry:
Now playing:
:360: Forza Horizon, Halo Series
:wii: Collecting Dust
:ps3: Collecting Dust
:pc: Diablo 3, Walking Dead
When I'm not watching Grimm and Firefly on Hulu.