Justice League: New Frontier

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 catapult37

catapult37

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

Well, on the recommendation of both Wombat and Aint it Cool News, I went and rented Justice League: New Frontier. Let's start with what I liked: the Martian Manhunter subplot was pretty cool, and fleshed out a character with which I was not all that familiar. Doogie Howser as the Flash was awesome, and I really enjoyed his scenes in Las Vegas.

However, I was mostly disappointed with the movie. Spoilers ahoy!

I figure most of my issues probably have to do with
Spoiler

Okay, rant pretty much over. I think I would have enjoyed the book, but I'm afraid the movie has left me without much incentive to do so. Discussions, explanations, and rebuttals are welcome!
Posted Image

Xbox Live: catapult27
Now playing: Batman AA, The Witcher
Need to Finish: Far Cry 2
Up Next: InFamous 2 (hype!!)

#2 evilpenguin9000

evilpenguin9000

Bringer of cowbell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

I bought The New Frontier because it looked kinda cool and Wombat seemed to think it'd be awesome. It wasn't bad. I was more of a Marvel kid growing up, so I'm not really super in the know about DC stuff, but I agree with the OP that it seemed very rushed at 75 minutes. It really lost me with the whole Center thing, which is awkward since that's the main villain. It kind of explained a little about it at some point, but it seemed like a one off explanation more than me having any real idea of why The Center was bad.

I'd say it's worth watching, but it really seemed like a Cliff Notes version of the story. This is kinda the same complaint I had with the last coupla Harry Potter movies, particularly Goblet of Fire.

#3 dwhelan

dwhelan

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:10 AM

Well, on the recommendation of both Wombat and Aint it Cool News, I went and rented Justice League: New Frontier. Let's start with what I liked: the Martian Manhunter subplot was pretty cool, and fleshed out a character with which I was not all that familiar. Doogie Howser as the Flash was awesome, and I really enjoyed his scenes in Las Vegas.

However, I was mostly disappointed with the movie. Spoilers ahoy!

I figure most of my issues probably have to do with

Spoiler

Okay, rant pretty much over. I think I would have enjoyed the book, but I'm afraid the movie has left me without much incentive to do so. Discussions, explanations, and rebuttals are welcome!

While I agree I would have enjoyed a much longer movie, it is unrealistic. As for your issues, I do agree with some but others I see in a different way.

Spoiler

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie, but I am part of the target audience. It does make me want to go back and re-read new frontier and its sequel. I encourage people to watch, because the movie (and comic) speaks to ideas I believe in. The idea that we need to be willing to look past our irrational fears of those different from us, and recognize how similar we are. The idea that we need to be willing to work towards a better future, together. The idea that violence should never be our first reaction, and it should only be deployed as a last ditch effort, when all other avenues are tried and have failed.